1 2 3
John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/9/09 11:32 a.m.

Or not buy from the guy and watch him go out of business.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/9/09 12:18 p.m.

looks good Dave.

what kinda times were you turning on Sunday?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/9/09 2:14 p.m.

ie, not fast enough.

Was it you that I almost locked in the port o john?

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
3/9/09 3:17 p.m.
problemaddict wrote:
sachilles wrote: someone asked in the thread about generic fender flares that look halfway decent. and ebay search of "jdm fender flare" brings up all sorts of results. I found these for $75 ebay link
Yep. $75 with a completely reasonable shipping charge of $125. I wish ebay would change their policy about these types of ads...

they do. sellers aren't allowed to charge "excessive" shipping/handling

We appreciate you taking the time to file this report. eBay will investigate to determine resolution.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
3/9/09 3:19 p.m.
gamby wrote: Actually, items of that shape/size are a bitch to ship. That's why it's not worth buying a front lip online. The lip itself will go for $40, but it costs $100 to ship the damn thing. Nature of the part. I think those shipping charges are close to legit.

i disagree.

i've shipped a swaybar and a strut tower bar that were only slightly smaller and weighed more than those things, and the cost both times was $10 or less. how you go from swaybar for $10 to slightly larger for $125 is beyond me.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/9/09 4:05 p.m.

once you hit oversize the rates go up exponentially.

anyway - sweet work dave. those look badass and now i want to do it to something but i'm not spending money on anything right now.

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
3/9/09 4:22 p.m.
Strizzo wrote:
gamby wrote: Actually, items of that shape/size are a bitch to ship. That's why it's not worth buying a front lip online. The lip itself will go for $40, but it costs $100 to ship the damn thing. Nature of the part. I think those shipping charges are close to legit.
i disagree. i've shipped a swaybar and a strut tower bar that were only slightly smaller and weighed more than those things, and the cost both times was $10 or less. how you go from swaybar for $10 to slightly larger for $125 is beyond me.

Your sway and ST brace are a touch more durable than ABS or FG flares, therefore need less packing material and smaller boxes. As was mentioned earlier once you fall into "oversived package" the rates are obscene. The seller is also probably insuring them for say $150 value to cover his ass when(not if) a set shows up at a buyers door sounding like chicklets.

Bottom line, if you don't like the shipping rate, don't buy. The seller staes a flat rate in the listing, its not a hidden fee.

sachilles
sachilles Reader
3/9/09 4:34 p.m.

:shrug: There were others on ebay, that was just the first example I found. also search for corolla fender flare.

I would expect shipping to be high, if you expect the product to arrive intact...though 125 does seem a touch high.

Gary_C
Gary_C New Reader
3/9/09 7:00 p.m.

125 seems way high. I routinely get full cut quarter panels shipped to my door in the $75 - $100 range, including the seller packaging it. Those full cuts are bigger, weigh more and are less forgiving to being knocked around than FRP fender flares.

Just my .02, dealing with having bulky restoration panels & items shipped on a regular basis. The last large panel I got in was just the other day via UPS. Came in from AZ. They wrapped the hell out it with bubble wrap. Padded that in 2 layers of cardboard and then built a 'box' around that.

Box worked out to 50" x 30" X 8" (Im staring at the label right now) - definitely falling in their oversize category. Standard ground charge worked out to $43.79 from Scottsdale to Chicago. Thing came in at 40lbs said and done, for what it's worth.

So yeah.. personally. I feel that S&H charge is a total rip.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/9/09 9:25 p.m.
DILYSI Dave said: 60.0. ie, not fast enough. Was it you that I almost locked in the port o john?

A 60 is pretty fast, FTD when I left was something like a 58.582.

I ended up running a 72 something in an HS Saturn SL2...that course was FUN!

as far as getting locked in the port o john, I guess I never heard that story. No it wasn't me.

sorry I didn't get to talk more, but when I saw you I had one run left to run, then I had to run Timing in the truck, then I had to drive 14 hours straight back to Michigan. good to meet a fellow GRMer though.

2002maniac
2002maniac New Reader
3/11/09 1:53 p.m.
problemaddict wrote:
sachilles wrote: someone asked in the thread about generic fender flares that look halfway decent. and ebay search of "jdm fender flare" brings up all sorts of results. I found these for $75 ebay link
Yep. $75 with a completely reasonable shipping charge of $125. I wish ebay would change their policy about these types of ads...

If they were $200 with free shipping you'd say it was a great deal.

blaze86vic
blaze86vic Reader
3/11/09 7:38 p.m.
pigeon wrote: I love that Celica, very sexy with the lowered stance and those super wide wheels (though I'm not a fan of the tooner blue lugs).

HAHA! I'm surprised you could see that. Yeah, there were in the bargain bin since the locking lugs were all stolen from the box, so I got the whole set for $2, and I just needed some metric conical lugs for the steelies so I couldn't pass it up.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rURhTwiQReRiO7FdisP4NaAIComi6msFq8LgFlHAa9AOogF2r0RLqZk6qR5G6yAe