1 2
singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
3/12/14 11:19 a.m.

I just got a Suburban 2500 with the 8.1l beast motor for cheaper than most other things mentioned here and anywhere else I have looked. Why is the Sub meh? I think a 5.3L or bigger 2003+ GM SUV is going to net you the nicest, most reliable option. I looked at Sequoias too and for the money they are no where near as nice a shape. I jumped on the 2500 because it has the 4L80E trans which is way more durable than the 4L60E (700R4 update) that comes in the 1/2 ton models. My Suburban was dirty as hell but I know that I can buy anything for it anywhere. All new carpets are less than $300!

Jcamper
Jcamper New Reader
3/12/14 11:21 a.m.

Jav,

We need a budget number. The Tahoe/suburbans hold their values extremely well. If you can separate your requirements of tow vehicle and 3 car seats then you already own what is basically a v8 truck(javelin). I can sell you my 98 sienna for a good price, and done. J

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
3/12/14 11:21 a.m.
Javelin wrote:
Trans_Maro wrote: Sorry, the correct answer is Diesel Excursion.
Yeah, no. I sell parts for a living, and there's no stonking way I'd ever own a diesel pickup now. I must sell 10-20 fuel filters a day (at $30-$50 a pop), 3-4 complete front end rebuilds, and numerous $300-$800 modules. This is across all of the big 3.

We just changed the fuel filter in our 7.3L for the first time in 3 years......you unscrew the old one off the top front of the engine, screw the new one on. Boom, done.

Modules, we've only had issues with the glowplug controller(2 in 15 years)

Front end rebuilds, depends which front it is, IDK if the excursion ever had the solid front axle or not. Either way, you seem greatly opposed to the idea of a diesel, despite its advantages.

That Saab 9-7 Aero(TBSS with fancy knickers) posted awhile back would have been slightly high on your budget, but would have done everything you wanted.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
3/12/14 11:27 a.m.

FWIW, my '02 Ford E-150 got 12mpg. Period. Uphill, headwind, towing 5,000 pounds or downhill, tailwind, empty, drafting a semi didn't matter. It always got 12mpg.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
3/12/14 11:33 a.m.

Guys, he said three rows..

No pickup is going to do that.

With the cost of diesel now, I don't really mind my 460, it's paid for. If I were shopping a new truck, I'd seriously consider diesel just for the economy.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
3/12/14 11:34 a.m.

The downside of the 'Burb 2500 with the 8.1 and 4L80E is that you'll also only get 12mpg always.

I borrow one (in-laws) to tow. It tows fantastic, but I've literally never bested 12mpg, unloaded, highway, whatever.

I wouldn't want to actually drive that all the time as a primary vehicle sucking fuel down like that.

My mother in law drives it daily, by herself 90% of the time. They own no trailer. They have no kids living at home. Her lifetime average is like 11.5mpg.

miatame
miatame HalfDork
3/12/14 11:38 a.m.

Maybe I got a lemon, but my '07 Tahoe LTZ has been a PITA. Lots of little problems. Extremely comfortable and easy to look at though. The 5.3 could use more nut for Towing at highway speeds. I feel like I'd give it another shot with a newer 6-sp model though...it's just to nice to hate.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
3/12/14 11:38 a.m.

My recollection is that there is very little cargo space behind the 3rd row seat in the Commader. We rented one, sight unseen, on a trip to AZ and ended up switching to an E250 van to avoid taking 2 trips from airport to hotel since the 7 of us couldn't all fit with our luggage. Not sure how it compares to the Mazda5 though. I'm looking at replacing our MPV with a Tahoe or Suburban.

Jcamper
Jcamper New Reader
3/12/14 11:44 a.m.

Jav, I should add, if infrequent towing is the issue I happen to have a 3/4 ton pickup that usually sits needing to be driven. It tows better than anything you will buy, drives nice, reliable and comfortable. You are free to use it if it is not spoken for. J

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
3/12/14 11:50 a.m.

I would like to point out that my Burb will be driven in bad weather 6 times a year and then it will tow a trailer. So MPGs wasn't a big deal to me. I figured I would rather have the power and reliability than the mpgs (I thought about a Trailblazer but ruled it out quickly).

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/12/14 12:27 p.m.

Since we're being sucked into this. Again.

I also suggested the Tahoe in the last go around. Still a stupid solution to your problem, but whatever.

So, here's another likely to be ignored or struck down suggestion. Sprinter van? How about a VW Eurovan?

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
3/12/14 1:17 p.m.
miatame wrote: Maybe I got a lemon, but my '07 Tahoe LTZ has been a PITA. Lots of little problems. Extremely comfortable and easy to look at though. The 5.3 could use more nut for Towing at highway speeds. I feel like I'd give it another shot with a newer 6-sp model though...it's just to nice to hate.

All GM's (excluding the 2014's) require an aftermarket tune to deal with their lousy torque management software. I've towed 4000 mile trips with my dad's 2004 crew cab 4x4 5.3L. The tune makes all the difference in the world, its like night and day.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
3/12/14 3:01 p.m.

I haven't gotten to read the whole thread, but what about the Nissan Armada?

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
3/12/14 3:11 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: R&P front end

Wait, what? Have I been under a rock? When did the GM trucks get R&P? Is this just the hind-wheel drive versions? I could swear all 4x4s I've been under are regular old steering box equipped.

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
3/12/14 3:14 p.m.

In reply to doc_speeder:

I'm pretty sure its a 2wd vs 4wd thing, with 2wd having R&P.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
3/12/14 3:15 p.m.

In reply to doc_speeder:

Most likely just RWD ones.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
3/12/14 5:40 p.m.

I'll just throw in a 1st gen Sequoia, specifically the 05-07 with the better brakes and transmission. Rated for 6k and should do that with little effort, has three fully functional (and comfortable) rows, plenty of thoughtful and useful interior features (typical of Toyota), and typical Toyota build quality. It's not very exciting to drive, and the V8 isn't the most powerful thing out there, but on the highway it's quiet, rides smooth, returns about 17-18mpg loaded up with the family at 65-70mph, and we've been pleased with it so far after 2-3 months of ownership.

Prices are surprisingly reasonable for a Toyota. At least locally we paid about the same as comparable year/miles Tahoe/suburbans are going for. If you only need RWD, they are considerably cheaper as well, and get slightly better mileage.

BTW, the 2nd and 3rd rows recline, and with the 3rd row in place there's still room for 3 or 4 large-ish bags behind it. We usually take half the 3rd row out to put a medium-size dog crate in its place, and can fit all the family's luggage for a weekend trip behind the 3rd row pretty easily.

imgon
imgon New Reader
3/12/14 7:49 p.m.

+1 on the Burb or Yukon XL. I have owned a 97 Burb, 04 Yukon XL and now a 14 Burb. The 07 -14 are priced stupid high and in my opinion are not as good as the 00-06. The ergonomics in my 04 were much better than my new truck. The reason I like these vehicles is they are great if you need to haul stuff, the 3rd row comes out in a minute and the middle row folds away nicely (00-04) and you have 8' of floor space. They also seat 7-9 people, based on seating configuration. The 2nd bench seat gives you better fold away options than quad buckets. I have used these trucks as my work truck and tow vehicle. The ride comfort is great for long rides and depending on trim level lots of creature comforts/electronics. I am a little disappointed in the new truck as GM changed a bunch of things I liked in my Yukon. My new truck I average 14 mpg at 70 MPH on the highway towing a small landscape trailer. Towing a 20' open trailer with a 3500# car on it with my 04 I got 13 MPG at same speed. I have a friend who has owned only Burbs for the past 30 years, he swears by the 2500 series for towing duty but I have had good luck with the 1500, I tow long distance about 6-8 times per year. If you can find one get a 2WD 00-06 with leather, you will never go back to another vehicle.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/13/14 1:18 p.m.

Here ya go:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4361528511.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/4372565180.html

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
3/13/14 5:45 p.m.
irish44j wrote: I'll just throw in a 1st gen Sequoia, specifically the 05-07 with the better brakes and transmission. Rated for 6k and should do that with little effort, has three fully functional (and comfortable) rows, plenty of thoughtful and useful interior features (typical of Toyota), and typical Toyota build quality. It's not very exciting to drive, and the V8 isn't the most powerful thing out there, but on the highway it's quiet, rides smooth, returns about 17-18mpg loaded up with the family at 65-70mph, and we've been pleased with it so far after 2-3 months of ownership. Prices are surprisingly reasonable for a Toyota. At least locally we paid about the same as comparable year/miles Tahoe/suburbans are going for. If you only need RWD, they are considerably cheaper as well, and get slightly better mileage. BTW, the 2nd and 3rd rows recline, and with the 3rd row in place there's still room for 3 or 4 large-ish bags behind it. We usually take half the 3rd row out to put a medium-size dog crate in its place, and can fit all the family's luggage for a weekend trip behind the 3rd row pretty easily.

We may need to create a GRM drinking game with your posts and the number of times Toyota is mentioned.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
3/13/14 6:50 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
irish44j wrote: I'll just throw in a 1st gen Sequoia, specifically the 05-07 with the better brakes and transmission. Rated for 6k and should do that with little effort, has three fully functional (and comfortable) rows, plenty of thoughtful and useful interior features (typical of Toyota), and typical Toyota build quality. It's not very exciting to drive, and the V8 isn't the most powerful thing out there, but on the highway it's quiet, rides smooth, returns about 17-18mpg loaded up with the family at 65-70mph, and we've been pleased with it so far after 2-3 months of ownership. Prices are surprisingly reasonable for a Toyota. At least locally we paid about the same as comparable year/miles Tahoe/suburbans are going for. If you only need RWD, they are considerably cheaper as well, and get slightly better mileage. BTW, the 2nd and 3rd rows recline, and with the 3rd row in place there's still room for 3 or 4 large-ish bags behind it. We usually take half the 3rd row out to put a medium-size dog crate in its place, and can fit all the family's luggage for a weekend trip behind the 3rd row pretty easily.
We may need to create a GRM drinking game with your posts and the number of times Toyota is mentioned.

Ironic since the only Toyota I've ever owned have been my wife's daily drivers, lol.

Just be happy I don't own a Miata

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
3/14/14 6:20 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Yeah, Grand Wagoneer is a pipe dream.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/14/14 8:16 a.m.

Sell a kid? Then you only need two car seats.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yYFnM9d7wsu7skKzRv7uVPXxJNVxotA3ky1PJLEpIlM7GNVvXnzSq1CmXHqijd4T