1 2
KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
3/29/15 7:54 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: Not sure pricing and a bit rare but B5 Passat TDI wagons were the last Passats built in europe vs everything moving to mexico and it has the ALH motor which is very reliable. It also had something like a 20 gallon fuel tank which would give you an 1100 mile range per tank of fuel.

The B6 Passat is still German made. It's the Jettas and Golfs that moved to Mexico. The new NAO Passat is made here in the USA.

Not that it helps, finding a B6 wagon for under 5 grand isn't happening.

How about a sport cute-----Ford Escape should be a good fit.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/15 8:06 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: If you want a properly big wagon made in this century you need to widen your definition of "wagon" to cover SUVs. Very low maintenance and easy to wrench on too.

My Disco is listed as a "wagon" on it's title

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/29/15 8:22 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: What big (ish) wagons were made in the last 15 years that aren't on the list below that can be found under $5K? Saturn LW Mazda 6 (borderline "big") Outback Forester

These are not big. At all.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
3/29/15 8:23 p.m.

yeah your stuck with a crossover if you want anything roomy. wagons arent cool enough these days, crossovers and suv's are what the soccer moms want.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
3/29/15 10:02 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote: If you want a properly big wagon made in this century you need to widen your definition of "wagon" to cover SUVs. Very low maintenance and easy to wrench on too.
Lots of big ones listed above have more space than some (RAV 4, CRV, Vue, Escape, etc.) SUVs and are on par with space offered in the 3 row variety. SUVs found in this price range generally aren't low mileage, and don't get great gas mileage. Any 4 cyl SUVs you could recommend with 75+ cubic feet of space?

Perhaps out definitions of "big" differ. Big wagon makes me think B body. I meant like Suburban size stuff.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/30/15 1:20 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
codrus wrote: Audi A6 Avant and allroad.
For < $5k? Should that scare the crap out of me? (because it does)

Probably. I'm not recommending either of those for that price, merely observing that they exist. :)

The Jeeza
The Jeeza MegaDork
3/30/15 4:18 a.m.

if the Mazda6 wagon is on here then the Malibu Max has to be. And I know you can have that for less than $5k

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
3/30/15 7:01 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote:
ProDarwin wrote:
Lots of big ones listed above have more space than some (RAV 4, CRV, Vue, Escape, etc.) SUVs and are on par with space offered in the 3 row variety. SUVs found in this price range generally aren't low mileage, and don't get great gas mileage. Any 4 cyl SUVs you could recommend with 75+ cubic feet of space?
Perhaps out definitions of "big" differ. Big wagon makes me think B body. I meant like Suburban size stuff.

Those are "huge".

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/30/15 7:12 a.m.

2008 Mazda5 for $4995 on Autotrader

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/30/15 8:56 a.m.
Mike wrote: 2008 Mazda5 for $4995 on Autotrader

I find it unbelievable that this is the first mention of a mini-van.

REALLY? "In order to get a big wagon now you need an SUV or CUV." The minivan crew is off its game this morning. The minivan is a 'tall' wagon.

Minivans have more than half of that 75 cubic feet of storage space BEHIND THE THIRD ROW WITH ALL SEATS IN PLACE.

But, minivans are not nearly as cool as a wagon (or SUV, as your local automotive marketer would like you to believe). Therefore, I recommend the e39.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/30/15 9:39 a.m.

Escape? Friend of mine has one with 111k on it, and has zero mechanical issues. They are around in 5 speed guise, too. Very practical, roomy, vehicle, fuel economy basically on par with wagons/ minivans in that size. Otherwise, it sounds like wagon you're looking for is now called a "minivan".

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
3/30/15 9:40 a.m.

$5K minivans are usually pieces of crap & unreliable. Or have very high mileage. Also, they have been trashed by 15 years of dealing with children, as opposed to owned by old people who like wagons and rarely drive :)

The Mazda 5 has far less space than other minivans, but I could consider it. It gets really awful mileage though. How reliable is the auto? Good for 300k?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/30/15 9:45 a.m.

Saab 9-2X. All the benefits of a WRX but avoided the ugly stick at birth.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
3/30/15 10:37 a.m.

I'll just leave this here.

As far as "scary to work on"..... eh, everyone likes a good challenge now and again. What's life without some excitement?

nokincy
nokincy Reader
3/30/15 10:59 a.m.

The Volvo offerings are quite reliable once you catch up on deferred maintenance. I'd imagine a V70 would be close to the most practical of the bunch. Outback/Forester get my vote as long as you get one cheap enough to do the headgaskets or find one that has already had it done.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
3/31/15 3:08 p.m.

Why do I want or not want this: http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/ctd/4957276232.html

The price seems very low for something at a dealer.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
3/31/15 11:44 p.m.

Here's a local BMW CCA guys. He cant sell it in Cali because it won't smog for anything but parts. Crazy nice looking.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/4947460023.html

Here was his original post on FB

"Tomorrow my E39 528iT Sport is going on Craigslist. I'm the 2nd owner. It was bought new at Encinitas BMW. I have all records and receipts since new -- $22,000 in parts and $16,000 in labor -- and that's with basically zero labor charges since 2007 when I bought it (I've done all the labor since then myself or with the help of my BMW Master Tech friends). Current mileage is 336,000. Car needs a handful of little things but is a SOLID foundation for a good running E39 Touring. It's automatic...sorry 3-pedal fans! smile emoticon I just had the car fully detailed a few weeks ago and it's been in the garage since. It comes with a bunch of new parts, including a brand new OEM hood and E39 M5 replica bumper already painted at Chapparone ($$$!) but not yet installed. If anyone is interested in looking at it before it goes on Craigslist, let me know! $3150 OBO."

Mel22
Mel22 New Reader
4/1/15 2:34 a.m.

Oh, E36 M3; that's a pretty car...

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
4/1/15 10:20 a.m.

Everything in this thread is a small/midsize wagon. Want big? Go B body or go home.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
4/1/15 12:42 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Why do I want or not want this: http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/ctd/4957276232.html The price seems very low for something at a dealer.

Wow that is a nice looking wagon.

I've also found several V6 Dodge Magnums in your price range.

I'd go with the Mazda5 van before anything else, I think those things look badass.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
4/1/15 3:33 p.m.

I'd say Mazda 5. I get between 27-30 mpg in mine consistently:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=19030&endYear=2016&modelCode1=MAZDA5&showcaseOwnerId=86376&startYear=1981&makeCode1=MAZDA&searchRadius=0&maxPrice=5000&mmt=%5BMAZDA%5BMAZDA5%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=396186534&Log=0

I'd drive for this one. Looks like a great deal!!

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
4/1/15 3:48 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

My 525iT returns really close to 30 highway. It's not fast, but my Hayabusa powered race car and M3 are, so that's OK. And the driving experience/dynamics are quite nice. If automatic is ok they're not crazy rare.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
4/2/15 12:45 p.m.

I checked out this thread and got a good laugh at such childish talk about "biggish" wagons. I had a 76 ford ltd. anything less is just wimpy.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wBVt7BPoOto70oytJox3br5Ks2CpyudKonZJwDrBTtwKzd1TBnZR4HLgV7hHpWpi