noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/9/12 7:05 p.m.

While trolling CL for worthy cars I had the stray thought about Auto Crossing a TDi... Anyone ever done it or know of anyone racing a TDi this way? You have low end torque. You have 0 to 60 acceleration. You have boost! And you would probably still average 40 mpg... And the weight penalty vs a regular VW probably is not that bad.

I can't even blame this line of thought on beer...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
9/9/12 7:12 p.m.

I've seen it done. With normal suspension upgrades and goofy levels of boost, the are rocket fast, but not a stock class winner.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
9/9/12 7:22 p.m.

When you see something not being done there are two possibilities:
1. You're a genius and will take the world by storm.
2. It's been tried and didn't work that well. Or at all.
My gut feeling is that this situation falls into camp number two. Having driven my sisters beetle with a chipped TDI and my mom's jetta with the 2.0T I can tell you that I'd much much prefer driving the 2.0T in anger.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
9/9/12 7:44 p.m.

If anyone here has autocrossed with Chicago Volkswagon Organization you will have seen a guy who brings a 1.6 diesel jetta/rabbit whatever that he absolutely kicks butt with. Id like to see him drive a fast car!

NGTD
NGTD Dork
9/9/12 8:23 p.m.

Keep in mind that the torque of a diesel comes with a price. Very low redlines. Chances are you will have to upshift more, but downshift less.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
9/9/12 9:38 p.m.

Depends on the year. A few guys have done it over on TDIclub.com I would check in there.

Today at the AutoX I was at there were two instructors driving stock new model TDI jetta wagons and their best times of the day was about 112-113 seconds to put it into perspective my stock 1990 NA miata with the 1.6 managed 111's consistently and one 110 second lap and I am a novice.

If you are talking about modding the car the issue is you go to street prepared almost immediately as soon as you touch the boost and the first power mods are injectors and tune for these cars. My mk4 jetta tdi (my daily) would gain something like 25hp and 40tq from each one of those mods. If I did both I'd be close to 150whp and almost 250-300tq depending on tune

The redline is more due to the turbo than the engine stock my Jetta's turbo only runs about 2000-3500 rpms

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/9/12 10:26 p.m.

Brilliant. You can hit cones and obscure the course with soot so the corner workers can't see them to call it in.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
9/9/12 10:48 p.m.

There is a local A4 Jetta laying down 365 hp at the wheels on a stock TDI bottom end.

That is impressive no matter what fuel is being burnt. Sadly it still sounds like a delivery truck.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
9/9/12 11:53 p.m.

I did my first auto-x a couple weeks ago and there was a guy with a TDI. A little puff of smoke at the beginning was all there was to see. He seemed to ok but we aren't the most competitive lot.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
9/10/12 1:35 a.m.

I think the main problem is that they arent that fast stock, and to make a lot more power the tiny little turbo they come with isnt up to the job, so you are looking at SM for a really fast one. Fast TDIs still get good mileage, the swapped mk2 my friend has ran 14.2 in the 1/4 mile and still gets 60+ mpg. Certainly not stock though, although the longblock still is.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/10/12 6:53 a.m.

I seem to remember a TDI Beetle with something like 400 Ft/lbs in GRM some time back. That sounds fun.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/10/12 7:23 a.m.

Found it: Your Mileage May Vary

2002 TDI Beetle
123HP
412 lb-ft

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/10/12 6:29 p.m.

My Uncle was nonplussed when someone showed up with a SP-prepped MK1 diesel rabbit, nearly took TTOD with it and Thouroghly trounced his FSP GLH.

It was a tight course, but still, it can be made to work.

After that my Uncle converted his car from N/A to turbo with an auto and a custom final drive that really allowed for full use of the torque and kept the boost up ;)

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
9/10/12 6:49 p.m.

I've autocrossed my '03 wagon in HS. Just running crappy street tires. The gearing and the low redline are difficult to overcome. With std sized tires, 2nd gear is only good for about 46mph. You really need to be closer to 60 to be somewhat competitive. I've toyed with installing much smaller tires (225/45-15 A6) and seeing if it can just stay in 3rd. I just don't like the idea of a 2-3 shift under such conditions. Accidentally go into 1st at that speed and you're getting towed home.

In theory, one could be prepped for FSP fairly well, but it'll still be woefully over weight compared to the Hondas in the class.

Oddly enough, my E30 has many of the same gearing drawbacks, although the VW does steer and shift a hell of a lot better.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
9/10/12 7:07 p.m.

Yeah the upshot being if you keep your foot out if it the cars still get great mileage. My TDI had koni reds when the stock suspension was shot, fresh bushings and I did the audi TT bushing upgrade. It also sports 17"s with 225 performance all seasons and its not that bad at all to throw around a little bit. Needs more brakes however.

Still get 43highway with the larger wheels/tires too thats my normal commute true trip type highway mileage is closer to 50

Josh
Josh SuperDork
9/10/12 9:16 p.m.

A local guy runs a Jetta TDI Cup edition with the DSG (H-Stock) in the street tire index class. He cleans up on our small, tight lots. I think on the right course a properly prepped one of these could be a competitive HS car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cARCk6vG3Hr32WWCTrzQJNYseLXo8co3FKveWZOHN5iOlijIXxAkBGM1VucQ5kBU