1 2 3 4
JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
11/11/11 6:54 p.m.

So as you may or may not have heard the "spec" class for BABE rally in 2012 is left very open at "station wagons" Thus begins the search for a Misfit Toys worthy station wagon.

So I first saw this unicorn on the Lemons forum, and later on an edition of Project Car Hell http://www.autoweek.com/article/20111103/CARNEWS01/111109949

1968 Toyota Crown wagon....front engine, straight 6, rear drive 5 speed wagon goodness, what's not to love?

So one of my BABE partners and general all around excellent mechanic on the ground in VA went to check it out for me tonite...his overall impression "dude is giving the car away" Solid frame and chassis, minimal overall rust, fired up on the first shot and runs fine.

Did some ubergeek stuff with photos flying back and forth over the phone and I actually negotiated a deal via text and sent the payment via PP, $500 and its mine.

Waiting on some better photos but theres some good example pics in the PCH post.

The Lemons overlords want this thing in the event bad but so far from the description I have I dont think I will sacrifice it. It will run BABE and then maybe be a cool cruiser.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
11/11/11 7:00 p.m.

I wonder how hard it would be to stuff a 7M-GTE into it...

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
11/11/11 7:02 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: I wonder how hard it would be to stuff a 7M-GTE into it...

I am completely illiterate in the nomeclature of JDM motors but a mid 80s supra motor is a bolt in

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
11/11/11 7:06 p.m.

That's exactly what a 7M-GTE motor is from: the 1986-1992 Toyota Supra Turbo.

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
11/11/11 7:06 p.m.

Whatever comes of this cannot avoid being awesome. That seems like a damn good way to spend $500.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
11/11/11 7:18 p.m.

need some cheap 5x114 wheels and tires to get her rollin (someone stole one of the rims) preferably in the VA area for a quick roller or if you have something cool for long term use then let me know :)

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
11/11/11 7:57 p.m.

I am jealous and angry. That is too awesome!!!

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
11/11/11 8:02 p.m.

bosozuku theme? tempting

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
11/11/11 8:15 p.m.

No. Too nice for that silliness....This deserves some VIP-style goodness. If you could somehow take this and exorcise some of the hellaflush demons it would be perfect.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
11/11/11 8:27 p.m.

yeah we need some new wheels anyway so Im feeling a nice VIP vibe

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
11/11/11 8:57 p.m.

Nice score....

wonder how much of the suspension and brakes can be improved.... if at all?

Hmmm 5 x114? I'm pretty sure that is IS300 bolt pattern. You might find a cheap set of OEM IS300 wheels...

check that.... looking at the wheel placement on the cropped photo... you are going to have to find a set of "deep dish"... minus 20 or so wheels. There is alsways Yahoo Japan

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
11/11/11 9:07 p.m.

not sure about suspension, brakes are disk front drum rear so not tragic.

Remember I tend to flare things so I can make wheels fit ;)

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
11/11/11 9:10 p.m.
JThw8 wrote: bosozuku theme? tempting

No.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
11/11/11 9:18 p.m.
JThw8 wrote: Remember I tend to flare things so I can make wheels fit ;)

I just read your page explaining how you flared the Yugo....Why did you say to use core-mat style fiberglass instead of the woven cloth?

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
11/11/11 9:35 p.m.

BOSO! You know you want to. Also, that thing is AMAZING.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
11/11/11 9:35 p.m.
JThw8 wrote: not sure about suspension, brakes are disk front drum rear so not tragic. Remember I tend to flare things so I can make wheels fit ;)

the newer types of wheels are all positive + offset do to improved designs in suspensions. A newer wheel on that car will not need a flare, but will need a LONG hub adapter, and might "screw" with scrub radius

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/11/11 9:40 p.m.

Jim,

What offset and sizing are you seeking in rims, I have some nice ARE mesh styled 16 x 7 off a S10 4x4, FWD offset.

By the way, "You lucky, lucky bastard"

Steve

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
11/11/11 9:45 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: I just read your page explaining how you flared the Yugo....Why did you say to use core-mat style fiberglass instead of the woven cloth?

Well it started that way because that's what I had on hand but the 1.5 oz mat makes a strong and substantial part whereas the woven cloth is generally thinner and not as structural. The best case is a sandwitch of the 2

aussiesmg wrote: Jim, What offset and sizing are you seeking in rims, I have some nice ARE mesh styled 16 x 7 off a S10 4x4, FWD offset. By the way, "You lucky, lucky bastard" Steve

I really dont know, I havent seen the car in person so I know very little. Bolt pattern is 5x114 (5x4.5) probably need at least 15s to clear the disks but not a clue of offset at this time.

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
11/11/11 9:54 p.m.

Not too shabby...well, sort of. The next generation of Crown after that one is REALLY crazy looking, but if it has a manual transmission this one is super rare.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
11/11/11 10:12 p.m.

Awesome find. Color me jealous!

corytate
corytate HalfDork
11/11/11 10:51 p.m.

buy my gold wheels so i can buy tires for my stockers! gold with polished lip 17x7 +40ish offset Raze

I really need tires now so I'll do 400 for the wheels and the tires on em? the two fronts are done and one of the backs has a nail that i haven't taken out and patched up because it isnt leaking. they either look weird when they wear down naturally or they wore strangely from alignment issues or somehting of the like.
oh, and I'm in the middle of nc so I guess reasonably close to you.
and I love that car.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/12/11 12:14 a.m.

http://dayton.craigslist.org/pts/2619625941.html http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/2619443746.html

Also, I have a buddy with a good 7M-GE (24v I6 from 3rd gen Supra) sitting unused on a pallet. He pulled it out of a Cressida to put a 1JZ in (JDM 2.5 twin turbo), and was trying to get $100 for it, last I heard. I don't know if he ever sold it, but that would be a relatively easy swap to make that thing a lot more drivable. MSEFI is documented well for the 7M too, to my knowledge. It's a lot of motor, usually really cheap from someone doing a turbo swap or parting a car.

Maybe 240ZG flares? They seem to work well on a LOT of old Japanese cars.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
11/12/11 2:23 a.m.

That thing is berkeleying rad! I'll trade you a clapped out 9C1 Caprice. Straight up, yo.

Jay
Jay SuperDork
11/12/11 3:42 a.m.
JThw8 wrote: need some cheap 5x114 wheels and tires to get her rollin (someone stole one of the rims) preferably in the VA area for a quick roller or if you have something cool for long term use then let me know :)

That's a widebody Starion bolt pattern... I'm just saying.

From the photos it looks like you might even have enough room to get away with four of the 16x8 rears.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
11/12/11 4:21 a.m.

Torque-thrusts look good on these. For a JDM/Americana vibe.

Or how about reversible Boso' mods just for the BABE rally. Ridiculous, elaborate exhaust extension, external oil cooler etc.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
arqHQC6pXXpUYbwjtMWcCcsDSww8e3flwCaHM6iTnkKjBCew1RyOalRn5Q3mTbRh