1 2
flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/9/16 11:33 a.m.
Mazda787b wrote: ~12k OCI on the Z06. Oil life monitor was @ 8% at slightly over 12k. Going back down to 7500k. Always M1 0w40 and K&N or M1 (Champion) filter.

Out of curiosity, why? You had marginally more wear than the universal average, but with over THREE TIMES the miles that average is taken from?

I understand if you just want to change more often, I do 5k in my Mazda2 which is stupid easy on oil. I am using my oil filter(From Ultra) for two intervals(so it gets changed every other time).

I may extend intervals over winter time when I'm not auto crossing regularly.

Next UOA is to see if it shows any hint of a benefit to not running "dry" for a second or two like normally after changing the filter. 5k on oil, 10k on filter.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
6/9/16 11:42 a.m.

I do that work, not for that company. We do a lot of their specialty stuff. Our company does 4-8k samples per day from all of ourlabs. ITs best used for trending data for long term wear/failures and for determining the best OCI for the specific fluid/application. What is nice for us is that we have a little over 8million active samples to pull statistical data from. that's a lot of oil samples!

I have been doing a little test with Wal-Mart synthetics in the Korean cars. The Forte seems to be happy around the 10k mile mark. The wife's Rio will get tested this comingweek with 12k on hte clock.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
6/9/16 2:14 p.m.

Here's my last one:

[URL=http://s2.photobucket.com/user/bobnjenmiller/media/REPORT_zpstgueraqv.jpg.html][/URL]

There's a second page with graphs etc but I didn't feel like putting it up.

Mazda787b
Mazda787b HalfDork
6/9/16 7:25 p.m.
flatlander937 wrote:
Mazda787b wrote: ~12k OCI on the Z06. Oil life monitor was @ 8% at slightly over 12k. Going back down to 7500k. Always M1 0w40 and K&N or M1 (Champion) filter.
Out of curiosity, why? You had marginally more wear than the universal average, but with over THREE TIMES the miles that average is taken from? I understand if you just want to change more often, I do 5k in my Mazda2 which is stupid easy on oil. I am using my oil filter(From Ultra) for two intervals(so it gets changed every other time). I may extend intervals over winter time when I'm not auto crossing regularly. Next UOA is to see if it shows any hint of a benefit to not running "dry" for a second or two like normally after changing the filter. 5k on oil, 10k on filter.

Previous OCI was 10k/1 Year. Drove a little bit more last summer, so I stretched things a bit.

Primarily because I'm heading from Detroit to Charleston in July and will change before then for piece of mind. I already have 3k miles on it since April.

I was previously working from home, but am now driving 30~ miles per day for work. It is my daily driver as of right now. The majority of the miles were either highway, "fast road" driving, or cruising around in 4th gear and the occasional stoplight drag. No track/Auto-X miles on the car. Yet.

@Bobzilla. Interesting report. I can't read the results too well being on mobile, but any benefits when compared to Blackstone?

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
6/9/16 9:22 p.m.

Quick question, everyone seems to agree on higher mileage changes being fine in certain contexts, what about age? I can only think of once in recent history i even made it to 3k miles before changing the oil, but in that car (van) it was something like 3 years to rack up those miles.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
6/10/16 11:52 a.m.
Rufledt wrote: Quick question, everyone seems to agree on higher mileage changes being fine in certain contexts, what about age? I can only think of once in recent history i even made it to 3k miles before changing the oil, but in that car (van) it was something like 3 years to rack up those miles.

As long as the additives haven't settled out or contaminants have gotten in it should be fine. That's really the purpose of testing. 3oz of oil to determine if you need to replace it.

We have a pretty large data base that blackstone doesn't have, as well as 24/5 analyst support (mon-Fri) so any questions on the report we can walk you through it. We also do online registration, online access to reports and history etc. There's also testing furthertesting options that we have to help diagnose potential issues like filter debris analysis, analytical ferrography etc. Also being partnered with most of the oil industry helps.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5X9ItAw2VnHByIKJgclIJcmoJZxQQAshM5C1kRJ0TmgsIT2j9PEl1gt8YEkESmvc