1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/31/13 5:59 p.m.

In reply to Rob_Mopar:

Party-pooper!!! Well crud, how do I get the 518 to bolt to an AMC then?

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
10/31/13 6:05 p.m.

Get an AMC 727 and have someone tig the bellhousing area to the 518.

Javelin
10/31/13 6:07 p.m.

In reply to moparman76_69:

At that point I'd be better off getting something else entirely, involving a clutch most likely...

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
10/31/13 6:18 p.m.

Its far less work to learn how a carb works.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
10/31/13 6:33 p.m.

Seems like if you're willing to run MS then you could get a used TB from an aftermarket setup and weld bungs into a intake and be done with it. Or if you want it to look super funny you can use this

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
10/31/13 6:33 p.m.

As to the efi, there are lots of Jeeps running GM TBI setups on AMC engines, and for cheap.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_9812_carburetor_to_tbi_conversion/

Javelin
10/31/13 6:54 p.m.

In reply to moparman76_69:

That is really cool! I had no idea they made that, off to the interwebz again!

Javelin
10/31/13 6:55 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Its far less work to learn how a carb works.

I know enough, but it's the day-to-day drivability that drives me nuts. AMC's are notoriously cold-blooded, and if I tune it to start well, then it runs out bad. If I tune it to run out well, then it starts harder. Not to mention the MPG is horrific, even for a 6.0L V8, and it fuel sloshes on the AX course.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/31/13 7:13 p.m.

Chrysler v10?

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
10/31/13 7:45 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to moparman76_69: That is *really* cool! I had no idea they made that, off to the interwebz again!

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/efi/intake_elbows.shtml

This one is the least hideous

at least in my opinion. Allow you to use edelbrock, LS1, LS2, or Mustang 90mm TBs on any 4bbl intake.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
10/31/13 8:00 p.m.

Carb upgrade? Quadrajet will get great mileage, and good enough for Cadillac, probably good enough for any cold blooded issues you want to eliminate.

Though the edelbrock TB adapter and welding/brazing your own injector bungs on a carb manifold sounds like a solid plan.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
10/31/13 8:48 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to Rob_Mopar: Party-pooper!!! Well crud, how do I get the 518 to bolt to an AMC then?

There's probably an adapter out there somewhere. Maybe a JW Ultrabell? Or go with a Gear Vendors off the back of your existing trans.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/31/13 9:23 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to DoctorBlade: I don't think anybody has done an LS into AMC, but I could be wrong, they have put them everywhere else. I do know of at least 1 SBF 5.0 Spirit and 1 5.7 Hemi Javelin.

I saw this in Boston earlier in the year

photo 2013-05-16_19-37-57_282_zps31b8b2e7.jpg

photo 2013-05-16_19-42-05_287_zps9890deb7.jpg

LS1, all GTO

photo 2013-05-16_19-36-28_179_zps295cf3d3.jpg

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
10/31/13 9:31 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to Rob_Mopar: Party-pooper!!! Well crud, how do I get the 518 to bolt to an AMC then?

If it shares pumps, or at least pump bolt patterns with a 727, you buy a bulletproof bell kit for a AMC 727, saw the bell off the new trans, and bolt the new bell on with the pump bolts.

Or you upgrade to a wide ratio 4 speed stick and a taller rear gear.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/31/13 10:51 p.m.

I'm a huge fan of doing what you want with what you have. I don't always like or agree with some people's choices, its their car and they can do what they want.

My own personal opinion is - if you're going to swap and not incur the wrath of thousands of purists at car shows, make the engine more obscure than the car. That is to say, no one gets a chub on when they see a SBC in a Pontiac, but a Pontiac engine in a chevy... that's cooler.

So, if you want to do it without the heckling, you gotta go funky obscure. Jag V12, Ram V10, M52, something that makes it a bold enough choice that it looks like you know what you're doing

But (although I would never say an ill word about it) putting a chevy or ford in there will never be respected. Accepted maybe, but more often laughed. So, do what you want. :)

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
10/31/13 11:34 p.m.

The GTO engine / trans combo would be the tits... and kinda sleeper.

Javelin
11/1/13 11:16 a.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

That's not an LS1 swap into an AMC, that's an AMX body panel swap on to a GTO (and it's awesome).

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
11/1/13 11:22 a.m.

You are correct. This is blasphemy. Do a nice rebuild on the AMC because it's weird and different and has potential. This ain't no Y-block Ford we're talking about. There is power to be had outside the realm of EFI.

Speaking of which, what do you consider the major hangup (most expensive part) of an EFI conversion?

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
11/1/13 11:28 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Carb upgrade? Quadrajet will get great mileage, and good enough for Cadillac, probably good enough for any cold blooded issues you want to eliminate. Though the edelbrock TB adapter and welding/brazing your own injector bungs on a carb manifold sounds like a solid plan.

These two choices. Honestly. Go back and rethink the road you got to get to the engine swap question.

"I have driveability issues"

"I know, newer fuel injected cars don't have these issues"

"I'll swap F/I onto my engine!"

"Crap, F/I is expensive and hard. You know what's not expensive or hard? An engine swap!"

I would wager that any engine swap at all would be more expensive and difficult than converting the AMC mill to fuel injection. I would also wager that a few hours with someone who knows their way around a carb could get you all of the driveability and economy you could want.

Now, that said, go ahead and do what you want. If you always wanted to put a Lincoln V12 flattie in there, go for it, just don't try to convince yourself that it was the logical answer to some problem.

If it were mine, I'd probably stick to what was there in terms of the overall engine. The first thing I would tackle would be basic tuning and a third pedal. If I had enough cash, a MS conversion with one of those Edelbrock throttle bodies would be very fun, but I haven't chased that particular rabbit hole myself to know how far it goes.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/1/13 11:30 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: I'm a huge fan of doing what you want with what you have. I don't always like or agree with some people's choices, its their car and they can do what they want. My own personal opinion is - if you're going to swap and not incur the wrath of thousands of purists at car shows, make the engine more obscure than the car. That is to say, no one gets a chub on when they see a SBC in a Pontiac, but a Pontiac engine in a chevy... that's cooler. So, if you want to do it without the heckling, you gotta go funky obscure. Jag V12, Ram V10, M52, something that makes it a bold enough choice that it looks like you know what you're doing But (although I would never say an ill word about it) putting a chevy or ford in there will never be respected. Accepted maybe, but more often laughed. So, do what you want. :)

Ooooh, Curtis makes a great case. So how about this:

Porsche 928 V8! Turn that whole bastardized relationship between Porsche and AMC on its head and have a pretty cool engine when you're done.

Instead of the rear mounted transaxle and IRS (one could dream though), have an adapter made to fit an auto or an appropriate manual.

Javelin
11/1/13 11:37 a.m.

In reply to turboswede:

That;s for my future Gremlin project!

Javelin
11/1/13 11:40 a.m.
Jerry From LA wrote: Speaking of which, what do you consider the major hangup (most expensive part) of an EFI conversion?

It's an either/or. The big one is an intake manifold that cab accept port mounted fuel injectors. There's only 1 commercially available, and it's part of the $2K+ Edelbrock Pro-Flo kit. I could possibly drill out and machine a regular intake, but at that point I'd be better off doing the "universal" 4-Bbl throttle body route.

Problem there being I'd have to drop about $1200 minimum on a car whose entire investment is around $3K at the moment. Good luck getting SWMBO to authorize that purchase.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
11/1/13 11:45 a.m.
Javelin wrote:
Jerry From LA wrote: Speaking of which, what do you consider the major hangup (most expensive part) of an EFI conversion?
It's an either/or. The big one is an intake manifold that cab accept port mounted fuel injectors. There's only 1 commercially available, and it's part of the $2K+ Edelbrock Pro-Flo kit. I could possibly drill out and machine a regular intake, but at that point I'd be better off doing the "universal" 4-Bbl throttle body route. Problem there being I'd have to drop about $1200 minimum on a car whose entire investment is around $3K at the moment. Good luck getting SWMBO to authorize that purchase.

Good luck getting an engine swap done for less than that!

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
11/1/13 11:50 a.m.
Javelin wrote: It's an either/or. The big one is an intake manifold that cab accept port mounted fuel injectors. There's only 1 commercially available, and it's part of the $2K+ Edelbrock Pro-Flo kit. I could possibly drill out and machine a regular intake, but at that point I'd be better off doing the "universal" 4-Bbl throttle body route.

I haven't checked the interwebs but isn't there a manifold available (Edelbrock?) with bosses that could be machined for port fuel injectors?

Javelin wrote: Problem there being I'd have to drop about $1200 minimum on a car whose entire investment is around $3K at the moment. Good luck getting SWMBO to authorize that purchase.

Explain it by telling her the gas mileage would jump from 13 to 20 and you'll get the money back, especially if fuel prices go up.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
11/1/13 11:56 a.m.
Jerry From LA wrote:
Javelin wrote: It's an either/or. The big one is an intake manifold that cab accept port mounted fuel injectors. There's only 1 commercially available, and it's part of the $2K+ Edelbrock Pro-Flo kit. I could possibly drill out and machine a regular intake, but at that point I'd be better off doing the "universal" 4-Bbl throttle body route.
I haven't checked the interwebs but isn't there a manifold available (Edelbrock?) with bosses that could be machined for port fuel injectors?
Javelin wrote: Problem there being I'd have to drop about $1200 minimum on a car whose entire investment is around $3K at the moment. Good luck getting SWMBO to authorize that purchase.
Explain it by telling her the gas mileage would jump from 13 to 20 and you'll get the money back, especially if fuel prices go up.

He should be able to get 20 with a carb, too

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hki7NiNvZqiHnwcusYhYcaJT3Vk1bLBGXjxUshUrEIpwzfpDgKHKQ8UuRlUqjbjF