Jerry
Jerry UberDork
11/7/19 9:47 p.m.

After some discussion on BFG KO2's for winter use here , I've been thinking of real snow tires for the Crosstrek for winter, maybe the KO2's for the other 3.5 seasons I see in southern Ohio.  (Also I'm just not a fan of the OEM wheels so this is a chance to go with some Sparco's or Method Rally.)

Looking at TireRack before bed I see Blizzak WS80 are marked way down.  225-65/16 seem to go well with my OEM 225/60-17 and the tires are $96 each.  Pretty much anytime someone talks snow tires Blizzak seems to be the Answer.  I have 4 tires plus Sparco Black Terra's in my saved section at almost exactly $1k without TPMS.  (Thinking transfer the monitors from my OEM wheels?)

Before I click "Indulge Me" & spend my $, any other brands worth seeing at that price range?

Blizzak on Tirerack

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/8/19 12:09 a.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Thats a killer price, they're just trying to move what's left of their WS80 inventory since it's now "outdated" with the release of the WS90. I say take the savings and run! 

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/amp26038430/bridgestone-blizzak-ws90-tire-drive/

Also, my buddy is the sales rep named Brad. If you mention him in the comment box of an online order or call and ask to speak to him when you order he'll get the sale. He's a friend of Mazdeuce and I from One Lap. 

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/8/19 7:19 a.m.

Does Brad drive a Mustang, I think I met him at a TNiA event.   

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
11/8/19 10:07 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

Will do. Unless someone talks me out of it I'll be purchasing tomorrow.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/8/19 10:16 a.m.

Considering how much I like the WS50's I once had on my TDI, I can imagine the WS80 would be perfectly adequate.  I'm tempted to pick up a set for the TDI.  Might help give me motivation to get it back on the road. I loved driving that car in the snow and with proper snow tires it was even more awesome.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/19 10:23 a.m.

Do it.  Awesome hoops.

Mine have date codes only one year old.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
11/8/19 11:56 a.m.

I had a set of WS80s. They're good tires. Since you're in southern Ohio, I'll mention that the dry and wet performance is really good for a hard core winter tire. eg. tire rack had them pulling .87g in the dry on a F30. Compared to a rando budget tire, I'm sure they're much better. If you can get them for budget tire pricing, it's a no brainer. I'm sure they're better at almost anything the K02, Unless your offroading with the crosstec.

Knurled.
11/8/19 12:16 p.m.

BTW - Matt Wolfe rallycrosses on a set, too, and he said he won the RXNC on them.

This means absolutely nothing here, but is interesting nonetheless.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
11/8/19 12:30 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

The WS80's?  I might try RXing this thing for the hell of it once, that means I'll win!

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
11/8/19 12:32 p.m.

Also, TPMS.  This is only my 2nd car with them (I specifically found an Abarth with the upgrade 17" wheels I liked, and garage it in winter.)

Should I splurge on TPMS for another $188, or see about transferring from the OEM wheels?

Knurled.
11/8/19 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

I should warn you, Matt is crazy fast and also crazy.

dps214
dps214 Reader
11/8/19 12:46 p.m.

The only car with tpms I've ever owned hasn't had sensors in it for four of the five years I've owned it and I have no regrets. Okay, the summer wheels have 3 functional sensors (those things are somehow tire mounting machine arm magnets) in them, but I disabled the system several years ago so it doesn't matter. Unless you don't own a tire gauge I wouldn't worry about it. If you really want to have them, either swap over the stock ones or get a cheap used set from ebay for probably a quarter of the TR price. My closeout WS80s are fine so far, they do corner well for true snow tires, but even in low 30s temps they still don't have the longitudinal grip that the indy 500 summer tires do in the same conditions. Not really a judgement, just an interesting observation. I don't see any reason to NOT get the cheap WS80s over WS90s unless you drive like 100 miles/year and will age out the tires before they wear out. Then physically being a year newer might be a meaningful difference.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
11/8/19 2:57 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

I hate it on the Abarth.  Every time it drops 10F I have to deal with it, or hope the drive warms them back up for me.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
11/14/19 6:54 p.m.

Paired with Sparco Terra wheels & skipped the TPMS, almost exactly an even $1k.  I think it was worth it.

therieldeal
therieldeal Reader
11/15/19 7:42 a.m.

I ordered a set a couple weeks ago, just because the deal was so good.  I should have juuuust enough left in my Nokian’s to last this winter, but this way if I’ve estimated poorly I’ll be ready.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8gwKYldSOrksCKWfR2a12El0Hg3nyAn6SmU9BqU08mQkSkTmQ3pxpEZ9GMOHUPm6