1 2
02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
2/22/22 6:57 a.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

FWIW, mine was Bilstein/Eibach when I got it. The Bilsteins were too harsh for my taste on that platform, plus they were rusting prematurely (this seems to be a problem with modern Bilsteins - I've had it happen twice, but the 20+ year old ones on my 2002 still look new), so I replaced them with Koni Yellows. Better all around. If you have questions about the suspension, let me know - I've had mine apart more than once.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
2/22/22 7:17 a.m.

Meh, no point in going round and round and round in circles.  Each to their own.  I was always "afraid" of German cars, but after doing enough research and going into it with my eyes open, it's nowhere near as bad as I had always feared.  I will still stand by my feelings that the 128i is a phenomenal drivers' car.  I get plenty of feedback from the wheel.  The shifter is great.  Are the throws as short as an NA Miata?  No, but they aren't truck like, and they're very accurate...at least in my car.  The handling of the car for every day use is terrific.  Like I said, I haven't put it on a road course yet to really wring it out but I plan to soon.  I've had to sort out some minor issues since I bought it...I just changed a wheel speed sensor this weekend.  However, it's German...none of them are known for rock solid reliability.  In the realm of German cars, the N52 is rather sturdy.  Considering it's now an 11 year old car riding on a 17 year old chassis, I couldn't be happier.  For me, one of my favorite DDs of all time, and I've had a E36 M3 ton.  YMMV, and you wouldn't be wrong for saying so...it's purely subjective.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/23/22 11:09 a.m.

Just stay away from the twin-turbo, direct-injected models.

I had a 335xi sedan and it was BY FAR the least reliable car I've ever owned. Everything was fine until 20K miles, then it became my worst nightmare. The list of things that went wrong with the car would crash this forum. It was in the garage more than it was on the road and cost me literally tens of thousands of dollars over 5 years of ownership. I could have daily driven a Ferrari F40 for less than that POS cost me. The 335xi was nice...but not that nice.

Opti
Opti Dork
2/23/22 12:37 p.m.

A friend of mine is a BMW tech and a BMW guy. He had E36 and E46 M models, so hes used to feeding a BMW. He said the newest BMW he'd recommend to someone is a port injected E90. He says they arent terrible....for a BMW.

Ive driven a couple and really liked them, but my basket case E46 was a little too much for me, so I wont pass up a chance to drive one but I dont want one.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/22 1:49 p.m.

i have had two N52 cars as DDs.  first was an E60 525xi auto that was totalled at 225k.  maintenance and repair history here

my current DD is an E92 328i 6MT no iDrive that is currently at 85k.  replaced plugs and coils about 500 miles ago, has otherwise been flawless for me.  hi, my name is Sabine

i'd rock another N52 car in a heartbeat.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
2/23/22 3:49 p.m.

Out of curiousity, what do you guys think of N62 powered cars?  The 5.5L V8 found in the early 2000s 550i and such?

MTechnically (Forum Supporter)
MTechnically (Forum Supporter) Reader
2/23/22 3:56 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

Out of curiousity, what do you guys think of N62 powered cars?  The 5.5L V8 found in the early 2000s 550i and such?

I believe the common sentiment on the N62 is to run not walk away from them. I believe they had several major issues that resulted in recalls from BMW. 

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
2/23/22 4:29 p.m.

In prepping a fun parts list for the E90 (328i, Base RWD) I might be getting from an old lady, what do you guys recommend as far as replacement parts/bushings etc? I've only seen Powerflex as far as bushings go and it seems like a lot of people like swapping M parts into the non-M model.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
2/23/22 5:47 p.m.

M3 arms everywhere, good subframe bushings, Burger rear differential brace, Eibach sway bars, and pick your flavor of shocks. Pack the wheel wells with rubber and enjoy

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8Nz7K2xpQ9piZ9zfu2dJ1YRGmHr32edClfPAiVy0d9Z9oXpMqvJUWkKRFIqXCO5M