integraguy
integraguy Reader
9/4/08 4:01 p.m.

According to a recent Autoblog.com article, BMW is considering (again?) a 4 cylinder engine for the U.S. powering....according to the article, a 3 series sedan. In my opinion, they should have made their wonderful 4 cylinder a "base" engine in the 1 series. If nothing else, there wouldn't be all the arguing about 1 or 3 series.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
9/4/08 4:06 p.m.

and while they're at it, think they could bring the 1series hatch to the US? they sell it in mexico, dammit! why can't they sell it here?

pigeon
pigeon New Reader
9/4/08 4:14 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: and while they're at it, think they could bring the 1series hatch to the US? they sell it in mexico, dammit! why can't they sell it here?

Can't have a cheap 4cyl hatchback diluting the carefully cultivated premium brand image, now can we?

Why anyone would buy a base 1-series is beyond me, when you can probably get a CPO 335i for the same money. I understand why some might want to get a 135i for it's relative narrowness, but when it comes down to it, the performance isn't that much better to justify the smaller car when again, a one-to-two year-old CPO 335i is similarly priced or cheaper and comes with a better (!) warranty.

I paid less for my CPO '06 750Li a few months ago than a loaded new 335i would cost. I may even autocross it

scott

ZOOMiata
ZOOMiata GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/4/08 5:40 p.m.

I'd rather they bring over one of their diesels. Especially in the 1 series 5 door form.

grtechguy
grtechguy SuperDork
9/4/08 6:51 p.m.

I dunno... I want the 120d...

Twin Turbo...flog all day for 55mpg

http://www.bmw120d.com/

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/4/08 6:56 p.m.
grtechguy wrote: I dunno... I want the 120d... Twin Turbo...flog all day for 55mpg http://www.bmw120d.com/

+1

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter New Reader
9/4/08 9:53 p.m.

Do not want. Not with the weight of anything of their current lineup. Bring back a 2800 lb car, you can bring back a 4-cylinder.

Well, unless it's boosty...

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
9/4/08 10:18 p.m.
grtechguy wrote: I dunno... I want the 120d... Twin Turbo...flog all day for 55mpg http://www.bmw120d.com/

thats probably imperial gallons though, they're a little bigger than US gallons

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
9/4/08 10:57 p.m.

I liked the last 4 cylinder car they brought over.

grtechguy
grtechguy SuperDork
9/5/08 9:01 a.m.
Strizzo wrote:
thats probably imperial gallons though, they're a little bigger than US gallons

still.....even if got 40mpg US. I'd take it in a heartbeat

edit: Google Conversion show 1 imp gallon = 1.2 us gallon so, 55 Imperial gallons = 66.0522732 US gallons

so that equals 45.8 mpg US.

gimme!

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/5/08 9:50 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Do not want. Not with the weight of anything of their current lineup. Bring back a 2800 lb car, you can bring back a 4-cylinder. Well, unless it's boosty...

read about 1 series..

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter New Reader
9/5/08 7:42 p.m.
ignorant wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote: Do not want. Not with the weight of anything of their current lineup. Bring back a 2800 lb car, you can bring back a 4-cylinder. Well, unless it's boosty...
read about 1 series..

Not really a fan of the 1-series. It's not different enough from the 3-series in my mind. I really wanted to like it, and I was all sorts of stoked about the 135i, but everything I've seen and read... it's like BMW really wanted to bring an entry level car to the states, but then, halfway through the development, decided they didn't want to "sully the brand", and loaded it up with all the luxo-weight that keeps me from ever seriously considering a BMW for ownership.

Can I please be able to buy a new car with a high-performance engine that doesn't have a/c, leather, and power everything? No? Okay, guess I'm sticking to stuff made in the '80s.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/5/08 8:21 p.m.

ah ha...

aparently 135i coupe is 3300lbs.

I thought it was around 2800lbs. So sad.

Rupunzell
Rupunzell New Reader
9/5/08 8:46 p.m.

BWMs these days are WAY to HEAVY, most are close to 4,000 pounds and feel like 4,000 pound of car. Then there is the I-Drive, which is a "feature" that should have never been installed into any BMW.

Gone are the days when BMW made real sports sedans like the Z00Z. While the Z00Z was not without problems, it was very nice, efficient, sensible, down to earth package that simply worked. Yes, the cooling system has problems; yes, they rust; yes the 2nd gear syncro is fragile; yes, semi-trailing arm rear suspension has camber and toe change over it's travel, but they were simply a very nice German sports sedan. i owned two, a 76' Z00Z and a 74' Z00Z Tii, both daily drivers with good habits. This was before I discovered FIATs offered far better value for the money and better dynamics than the German offerings. And, no they don't rust any worst than any other EU or Japan offering fro that time.

If BMW ever wanted to offer a real sports sedan again, the car must go on a serious weight reduction program and adding a "carbon fiber roof' is not going to do it.

Rupunzell
Rupunzell New Reader
9/5/08 8:51 p.m.

Oh, one more news item. BMW and FIAT is planning to build cars together!!!!!

Fact is, BMW has no FWD or small car technology or ability to design a proper one. While Porsche / Audi has VW to draw small car technology from and Mercedes pretty much rolls their own, BMW has been left out in the cold which is why I suspect they got involved with FIAT.

Alfa Romeo's are said to be sold initially at BMW_Mini dealers..

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PGruQ1OOBQ5q5ovxGinglKBu0ZJl8YG64XzRoNE7Z9Jpy0I6lOOPqsUEiKgpvxnV