1 2
AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/12/20 1:25 p.m.

I'm planning to sell two of my Boxsters because I have too many other projects that I want to work on. So, they have both become my current projects. Hmmm. Anyway, The clear coat has been peeling and there were some fine cracks in the paint on the rear quarter panel. I sanded the clear and ground out the cracks with a Dremmel. Digging out the cracks down to bare metal revealed that someone had slathered on over a 1/4" thick layer of body filler over much of the panel. No wonder it cracked.

The original plan was to clean the cracks down to metal, then re-fill. Now I'm thinking that I should weld on a new panel since I just happen to have one cut from a car I scrapped a few years ago. Here's the piece I have:

I have never done this type of panel-welding repair, but it seems like the best way to proceed. Any advice? If you were buying the car, would you rather have it filled back in, or welded together by an amateur?

Yes, replace the whole panel. Try to drill out as many spot welds as you can, and attach the new panel inside the drain rails of the trunk as much as you can. Use the engine cover to set panel gaps to align the new panel.

watch this , and the next one, just please, wear a damn hood. You can do it. Bondo Sucks.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
6/12/20 2:08 p.m.

Instead of repairing, you could sell as is with the new quarter panel. 

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
6/12/20 6:43 p.m.

In reply to jimbob_racing :

It's a Tiptronic (automatic) with around 150k miles, faded interior, and some sort of collision history so its pretty near the bottom of depreciation. Fixing it right probably isn't going to add a lot of value. Well...

Maybe I can keep grinding away some of the Bondo and sculpt a galloping horse..? Pegasus?

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/20 6:45 p.m.

I would ask you how much as is but you've already proven to play by the rules in my signature 

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
6/12/20 7:48 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

I've learned that I can just Say that I'm selling them and still keep them around for another year or two. "Yes honey, it's almost ready."  I'm thinking realistically about $3,600 unless I make it a lot better, or break it a lot worse. 10% discount and a box of somewhat related parts to a GRM regular with cash in hand.  No Lowballers. I know what I've got.

It is THAT of "THIS and THAT"

I'm transferring the "THAT" tag to my red one.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
6/15/20 12:09 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) :

I'm going to try it. Bondo would be cheap and easy. If I liked cheap and easy, I wouldn't be married still. This is a good opportunity to learn and develop new skills.

I'm planning to drill the panel out across most of the top, but have a cut in the wheel well and at the back edge of the intake vent.

The wheel well piece would be a lot of work to drill and I don't think the end result will be any better. I can cut back the current line to about 2" (to where I have some space behind it) and have a little overlap to the piece that's in the car.

I'm drilling out the scrap edges from the patch piece now. Easy practice before I start on the car. Once I start on the car, I'm committed.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
6/15/20 12:48 p.m.

Slight change of plan as I'm drilling out spot welds:

I think that this will be easier to blend and better structurally if I extend the top part all the way to the door.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
6/15/20 4:49 p.m.

It's hot out there, so I have been taking breaks to cool down and drink some water. What to do during a break?  ...make a video:

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
6/15/20 6:42 p.m.

So far it seems to be working. Bonus: No blood lost, I still have all my fingers, used a mask for the cuts and grinding, and I can still see with both eyes.

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/15/20 6:49 p.m.

The surgery seems to be going well

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/20 7:18 p.m.

Someone once told me to never make a patch seam on a crease.  He didn't elaborate, but on contemplation, if you screw up a seam on a crease, it's a lot harder to unmangle than if it were in a 'flat" area.

He told me this from lessons learned from re-roofing a Rabbit rally car a few times.  One time, in a buddy's garage in Colorado so he could drive the car back home to Ohio.  (Tow vehicle?  That's for rich people)

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
6/27/20 11:42 a.m.

At one point I was regretting not just slapping more Bondo on there and calling it done. Now, I'm glad I did it; for the learning and development of skills. My biggest problem now is the the old re-spray that it had is not the original color anymore. It had faded and yellowed. Now I need to paint from the doors forward for a good color match.

Weld. Lots of spot welds across the seam.

Bare metal primer and spots of filler:

Prime and sand. Sand and prime.

Painted.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/27/20 12:51 p.m.

That is a nicely done repair.  Good choice to not hack it together.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/20 12:53 p.m.

Very impressed!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/28/20 12:03 p.m.

Nice. Not everyone has the guts to attempt that.

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/28/20 12:32 p.m.

Might fine body repair. How many hours would you estimate?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/20 1:52 p.m.

Nicely done!!!

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
6/28/20 5:33 p.m.

That looks awesome!  Great job, that's something I just don't have the skill set to do

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/28/20 5:48 p.m.
docwyte said:

Great job, that's something I just don't have the skill set to do

I always like to remind people that they can develop that skill set.  A E36 M3ty old car and some small tools, a bit of steel and a welder.  

As my Dad used to say, "You'll never learn any younger."

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
6/28/20 10:04 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
docwyte said:

Great job, that's something I just don't have the skill set to do

I always like to remind people that they can develop that skill set.  A E36 M3ty old car and some small tools, a bit of steel and a welder.  

As my Dad used to say, "You'll never learn any younger."

I didn't have the skill set two weeks ago. I still probably don't, but I'm a little bit closer and next time I'll do it better.

I found a 'learning point' when I bolted the trunk lid back on. I had pushed the quarter panel down as far as it would go when I welded it. I didn't think to test fit it with the trunk lid - which had been removed and set aside. The edge along the trunk sits about a quarter inch too low. I will probably drill that seam back out and make it right. Meanwhile I've adjusted it to 'almost good enough'.

Here it is before adjustment:

Today I painted the doors, front fenders, and hood. It was a quick and simple job, kind of like you get at Maaco when the do the $300 special, but the car is better than it was.

Tomorrow I'll take it out of the garage and assess the 'damage'. The hood might need a little correction, but it's easy to pull off and paint away from the rest of the car.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/20 7:15 a.m.

Dude, pat yourself on the back for me. You just hung a quarter panel. That's very cool!

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/29/20 9:00 a.m.

Great work!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/20 4:08 p.m.

Dam now that I have had a chance to look at the photos on my PC and not just my phone that is REALLY well done!!!!  Nice work and nice paint!!!  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xEawuaPSbtnSWUuUWWBV2zbb2Df7rzCznShF1A6ZLfh8SjJiM24cv7kviJcXVWiS