67King
67King New Reader
7/19/15 8:16 p.m.

Please BOTL for an E39 M5, stolen from the Macon area from a friend of mine. This is a meticulous example, very rare color, as well. Call Bibb county sheriff dept at 478-751-7500. 2000 e39 m5, red on black, all stock except exhaust, tint and black grilles. Has 01+ lights, steering wheel and nav unit. Vin ends in 96988

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
7/20/15 5:33 a.m.

Berkleying theives.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
7/20/15 7:42 a.m.

So sorry to hear.
Maybe to keep this toward the top, this is a good place for this discussion:
What happens to cars like this that get stolen?

This is a relatively rare car. Seems that parting it out would be necessary. How do they move the parts? Seems like CL or ebay would put up easy ways to get caught.

Do I watch too much TV or does the entire really car get put into a shipping container and leave the country?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/15 7:56 a.m.

If anyone is going to China or Russia, please be on the lookout for this car.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/20/15 8:21 a.m.

Man. That sucks to hear. An Imola e39 M5 is a gorgeous car. Hope the owner can find another, should this one not turn up.

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
7/20/15 8:31 a.m.

In reply to Datsun1500:

Wouldn't that be a funny vacation? A whole bunch of car enthusiasts go to Russia with a list of car descriptions and vins that were stolen, hit the big cities, and steal them back, with a note that reads, "Berkleying thieves"

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
7/20/15 8:36 a.m.
Flynlow wrote: In reply to Datsun1500: Wouldn't that be a funny vacation? A whole bunch of car enthusiasts go to Russia with a list of car descriptions and vins that were stolen, hit the big cities, and steal them back, with a note that reads, "Berkleying thieves"

Sounds more like a movie script.
A movie I might like. Liam Neisen in Taken - The BMW.
The whole thing could be one giant product placement, ala Italian Job remake.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/20/15 8:51 a.m.
Flynlow wrote: In reply to Datsun1500: Wouldn't that be a funny vacation? A whole bunch of car enthusiasts go to Russia with a list of car descriptions and vins that were stolen, hit the big cities, and steal them back, with a note that reads, "Berkleying thieves"

I think if I were stealing my own car back, my note would read something more like: "If you touch my car again, the next time you see me will be when I am feeding your rocky mountain oysters to feral cats."

Dunno if I'd have the restraint to just leave your note.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/20/15 9:12 a.m.

Car thieves should be hung in the town square, just like horse thieves in the old west.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/15 9:39 a.m.

My guess is that the persons overseas don't know the cars are stolen.

If you bought a car from overseas would you know? I am not sure if any of the paperwork would catch that.

67King
67King New Reader
7/21/15 12:49 p.m.

Fortunately the car was recovered. Appears to have been a joy ride, as it was abandoned on the other side of town.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/21/15 1:08 p.m.

That is good to hear. Any damage?

Also, I now realize how red is rare for an e39, that is the first time I can recall seeing one.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
7/21/15 1:20 p.m.

How much damage?
There should have been a lot of joy!

Was it used as a bank robbery get away car? Other than flashy, it would be good at that.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
7/21/15 2:27 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: If anyone is going to China or Russia, please be on the lookout for this car.

I know a lot of the industrial machinery that gets stolen winds up in the Caribbean or Central/South America.

I know that a lot equipment, legally sold, and otherwise, goes to a port in Mexico, gets off loaded and moved directly to a ship bound for Cuba.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
7/21/15 3:28 p.m.

Glad to hear he got it back.

I've heard the stories about stolen cars getting sent overseas, but I'd doubt there's a big demand for a 15 year old M5...not a lot of profit in that. If they're going to steal one and ship it to Russia, they're going to go for a brand new one.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
7/21/15 3:53 p.m.

Glad it's back, but now I'm curious how joyriders got past the ews. It's a pain to get around unless you know bmws and have some specialized tools. Keys left in it?

alex
alex UberDork
7/21/15 4:09 p.m.

Funny coincidence. I just saw an Imola red E39 M5 last week, probably the first I've seen in person, and I was reasonably excited (by our standards). This was in STL, so totally different car, but the same car, too.

Jake
Jake Dork
7/21/15 4:34 p.m.

Im curious to know how messed up it was on recovery, too. Hoping the insurance does right by the owner- that's not a foregone conclusion, unfortunately.

Also hoping the thieves didn't drift it sideways into a berm/ curb/ whatever, thereby bending up the rear suspension, etc.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/21/15 4:41 p.m.

If even half of what I've read about the Russian underworld is true, that sounds like a great way to go on vacation and come home in box - providing whoever finds your body cares enough to inform the US Consulate... and providing there's enough left to make a positive ID...

Glad to hear the car was recovered... hope the damage isn't too bad and the joy-riders weren't doing a reinactment of Star...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
7/21/15 4:50 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Glad to hear he got it back. I've heard the stories about stolen cars getting sent overseas, but I'd doubt there's a big demand for a 15 year old M5...not a lot of profit in that. If they're going to steal one and ship it to Russia, they're going to go for a brand new one.

There is a demand for everything with wheels there and well everywhere in the world where you can buy a registration in morbida.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/21/15 5:54 p.m.

Bastards. (Free bump, too.)

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
7/22/15 6:30 a.m.
oldtin wrote: Glad it's back, but now I'm curious how joyriders got past the ews. It's a pain to get around unless you know bmws and have some specialized tools. Keys left in it?

Been wondering the same thing. You don't just hot wire a car at the coil anymore. They had to have had the key.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
7/24/15 7:02 a.m.

Yeah, I'd love to know more. Surely someone left a key in it or something, you can't just drive off in a modern BMW. I'm convinced that's the reason my E46 was left untouched while my stripper-level F150 was broken into repeatedly (even though it was empty). It's common knowledge every BMW has an alarm.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ai803NrmGpvMlXTtteX9ab8iC12JAxxFx7QPlx2h6k0EFLuw1w2Rr7253YY7Emdd