1 2 3
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/21 10:19 a.m.

It would have to be, there's no other way to own one.

I do not blame mr2s2000elise for taking advantage of Toyota's need to dump these things. Toyota obviously doesn't want them. They're a long, long way from being viable anywhere other than a very small geographical area though, which makes it amazing that he's found buyers.

mr2s2000elise, did you have these guys on the line already and were just waiting for the Toyota discounts? 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
3/12/21 10:51 a.m.

Just be careful- the CA rebate ($4500) requires that you own and register the car for 30 months if I'm reading the website correctly. 

https://cafcp.org/cars#cars_range

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/12/21 11:01 a.m.
bmw88rider (Supportive Dude) said:

I think I know the customer in the middle of TX. They make their own Hydrogen so getting fuel is not an issues for them if it's who I'm thinking of. 

:) I will put a hello note on the dashboard with your name on it, as they leave my driveway 

got a pic uploaded finally in the initial post 

White ones should be here soon 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/12/21 11:06 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 said:

Just be careful- the CA rebate ($4500) requires that you own and register the car for 30 months if I'm reading the website correctly. 

https://cafcp.org/cars#cars_range

Cvrp doesn't apply to me due to income 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/12/21 11:09 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

It would have to be, there's no other way to own one.

I do not blame mr2s2000elise for taking advantage of Toyota's need to dump these things. Toyota obviously doesn't want them. They're a long, long way from being viable anywhere other than a very small geographical area though, which makes it amazing that he's found buyers.

mr2s2000elise, did you have these guys on the line already and were just waiting for the Toyota discounts? 

Arnold created the hydrogen highway. I should thank him and Toyota :) 

to answer your last question - AZ is an anomaly. Friend. TX one I have known the customer a while. I actually was out of the country and helped facilitate the deal with my friend last time- he pulled a lot of shenigans to get 20 of them. 

my friend is now retired in auckland - so when the sale hit - I asked my TX contact if he wants any. Said a couple - which I ran over and got . Now that he wants more I gotta facilitate  it 

Keith Tanner
3/12/21 11:16 a.m.

Do you know what your AZ friend's plan is for fuel?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/12/21 11:25 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

You must teach me the ways sensei. 

Come on over. Lots of opportunities here - not enough trustworthy people to faciliate the work... 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/12/21 11:31 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Do you know what your AZ friend's plan is for fuel?

He owns two Chevron stations, one around Bullhead City and on in Gila Bend. He is an interesting cat. Recluse. 4th wife. No kids. I sold him my LS600hL, 3 years ago. It still is sitting in Gila Bend, hes put less than 50 miles in 3 years. 

I am not sure, due to my research, his "closest official station" is 181 miles from him. I sent him a link to this, he takes delivery next week (intercity picking up), depends on what he says, I will write back. 

If he NEVER drives it, I wouldn't be surprised. He also has Fit EV, which when new were lease only, but he managed to purchase one, somehow. He also has the first GM EV - the one that looks like a rocket ship that he bought from Santa Clarita Chamber of Commerce after their lease was up. 

In his previous life he was a JPL/DOD employee 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/12/21 11:40 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I'm curious about where the Phoneix and Austin owners will get fuel.

https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/hydrogen_locations.html#/find/nearest?fuel=HY 

So they actually sell hydrogen at the pump in California? How did that happen? Can you get it at 7-11? 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/12/21 11:53 a.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:

So they actually sell hydrogen at the pump in California? How did that happen? Can you get it at 7-11? 

4 pumps in a 11 mile radius. Go to Aarco, and get it. Easy peasy. Some stations have it on the side like a pariah of the pre civil rights movement, and some have it integrated. 

Always empty too, except for a few local Caltech employees

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
3/12/21 12:57 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:

The Shell at the freeway on-ramp down the street has Hydrogen at a pump over on the side , 

The first one I saw was across the street from Toyota headquarters (Before the Texas move) and it was Hydrogen only , 

one thing , there will never be a line to fill up :)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/12/21 3:19 p.m.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/21 3:30 p.m.

mr2s2000elise said: He also has the first GM EV - the one that looks like a rocket ship that he bought from Santa Clarita Chamber of Commerce after their lease was up. 

Wait . . ..  Back up a second.  He has an EV1?  One of these?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/12/21 3:38 p.m.
dean1484 said:

mr2s2000elise said: He also has the first GM EV - the one that looks like a rocket ship that he bought from Santa Clarita Chamber of Commerce after their lease was up. 

Wait . . ..  Back up a second.  He has an EV1?  One of these?

Thats the one. White colour

Keith Tanner
3/12/21 3:39 p.m.

There are not many of those in captivity. They were all reclaimed at the end of the lease period and crushed. The EV1 owners club website is a very sad place.

From The Drive:

Vanishingly few survive today outside museums. The only one confirmed to remain in private hands is owned by director Francis Ford Coppola, who told Jay Leno in 2014 that he hid the car away when GM rounded them up in 2003 because he loved it so much. There are rumors of another that allegedly sold to an anonymous collector for nearly $500,000 in 2008. 

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/12/21 3:42 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Come on over. Lots of opportunities here - not enough trustworthy people to faciliate the work... 

I'm not looking for a job. But if your ever in northwest Ohio I would like to buy you a beer (or an ice tea). 

Just to hear all the interesting things you seem to be involved in. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/12/21 3:45 p.m.
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) said:
mr2s2000elise said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

I'm not looking for a job. But if your ever in northwest Ohio I would like to buy you a beer (or an ice tea). 

Just to hear all the interesting things you seem to be involved in. 

Not sure where NW Ohio is (erased most of my midwest memories), but my bro is practicing at Cleveland Clinic, and we need to visit him this year or next. I was kidding about the job. Nobody in their right mind in the midwest, would leave that, for the kooks in CALI. 

Would love to chat over a drink 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/12/21 3:54 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

There are not many of those in captivity. They were all reclaimed at the end of the lease period and crushed. The EV1 owners club website is a very sad place.

From The Drive:

Vanishingly few survive today outside museums. The only one confirmed to remain in private hands is owned by director Francis Ford Coppola, who told Jay Leno in 2014 that he hid the car away when GM rounded them up in 2003 because he loved it so much. There are rumors of another that allegedly sold to an anonymous collector for nearly $500,000 in 2008. 

I used to believe those things.

I don't anymore.

When I see Sultan of Brunei's 1 of 1 ferraris in Malibu, and "lease only" Fits/GM evs, in public peoples hands, 6x6 roaming around plated,  and 959 plated (while bill gates was fighting for his) and "illegal" motorex Vspec GT34 in places, illegal d90/d110 all over, while they are "confistacing it from the chripracter in s. carolina,"  I know that with money anything is possible, and TONS of guys are doing it, on the gray part of the world. 

Keith Tanner
3/12/21 4:02 p.m.

I think the evidence is pretty strong that there are far fewer EV1s remaining than were produced :) That Drive article says about 20 were spared and most went to schools. I'm assuming a few of those got reclaimed/rebuilt.

But yes, large amounts of money does make more things possible. As does keeping your mouth shut.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/12/21 4:04 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I think the evidence is pretty strong that there are far fewer EV1s remaining than were produced :) That Drive article says about 20 were spared and most went to schools. I'm assuming a few of those got reclaimed/rebuilt.

But yes, large amounts of money does make more things possible. As does keeping your mouth shut.

Agreed on the last part! 

spandak
spandak HalfDork
3/12/21 4:20 p.m.

I came across an article a while back of someone who found an EV1 in a parking garage in Atlanta somewhere. Crazy

Nice score on the Toyotas. At least this model looks better than the last one.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/12/21 4:23 p.m.
spandak said:

I came across an article a while back of someone who found an EV1 in a parking garage in Atlanta somewhere. Crazy

Nice score on the Toyotas. At least this model looks better than the last one.

Hey neighbor! Get on it!! Get any new bikes? I got one coming next month, that might interest you 

spandak
spandak HalfDork
3/12/21 6:05 p.m.

Ha no. I can barely keep the ones I have going. The wife's Honda needs everything and my bike found 2 separate places to leak fuel on Tuesday morning. Apparently it needs some work too.

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/12/21 6:15 p.m.

By NW meant north west. We are about 2 hours drive west of Cleveland clinic.  

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/12/21 6:38 p.m.
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) said:

By NW meant north west. We are about 2 hours drive west of Cleveland clinic.  

Great! Our trip will include Ann Arbor and UP - hopefully we can catch up 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t7BotdFwfxjSZpgJoJWo75DEUKsglZCzU33rvw9eZ9lBkhdRMZoVzLQfTVdj5lhn