1 2 3 4
wawazat
wawazat New Reader
5/4/15 8:16 p.m.

The Power Nation guys did a 347 SBF that put out close to 550hp recently. NA with a carb. I was impressed. Summit was involved.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
5/4/15 8:33 p.m.
drummerfromdefleopard wrote: 2JZ, then sell to a Fast and Furious franchise fan for far too much and purchase the original V8 car that you really want.

Uh, friend, that was The RB26dett. Also, it would be quite the disservice to put that engine into a slutstain... Let's show a little respect...

Also, it would be quite the

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/4/15 8:33 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: ....but as mentioned you have to pretty much chop the front end off the car and replace it with all new suspension.

As the former owner of a '65 Mustang that's not really a bad thing. If I ever buy another I'll be looking for a good shell and putting the rest in a dumpster.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
5/4/15 9:07 p.m.

Open tracker suspension. Did one in a 69 and was impressed.

Other than that, if you can get good flappy paddles with a 3.7 , do it. All the v8 cars ive drove in the first gens seem nose heavy.

Also, box flares make everything awsomer.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/4/15 9:08 p.m.

For easy and fun, 302. For some bucks and research some sort of inline 6 with ITB's and fuel injection. Or a nice set of weber cross flows....

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
5/4/15 9:31 p.m.

It would cost big bucks to get here but they do some hella sweet stuff with the Ford inline sixes in the land down under.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
5/4/15 9:40 p.m.

The 4 cam motor is huge. Like, really huge. If you want to remove the shock towers and update the suspension, go ahead.

Realistically, anything other than a Windsor is probably asking for way too much work. 347 is cool. If you buy the right parts, you can stretch a 430+ inch motor out of a 351 based block.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
5/4/15 10:17 p.m.

Ecoboost. Be different than every mustang that's ever been done for the last fifty years or more. A big turbo four bang would be siiiiiiiiick.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
5/4/15 11:04 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote:
Cooper_Tired wrote:
alfadriver wrote: How about a 3.7l out of a current Mustang? That's 300hp right away. Even an earlier 3.5l would be a good one. Both are nice and light aluminum engines.
This. The 3.7 into an earlier mustang would be awesome
That is what I would want to do.

I'd normally say SBF but I really like this idear

4Msfam
4Msfam Reader
5/4/15 11:09 p.m.

How about Turbo Blue oval? 68 Turbo 4 Mustang

Leafy
Leafy HalfDork
5/5/15 6:30 a.m.

2.5 duratec with a turbo on it. More or less the same engine as the ecoboost minus the direct injection and the integrated turbo manifold. But you can control it with a normal stand alone and they only cost $400 in the junk yard compared to $2000.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
5/5/15 7:58 a.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

Not that different if ford themselves have done it twice already. But a 2.3 lima turbo would be fun and not require the modifications as say a coyote or mod motor

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/5/15 8:01 a.m.

Saw a coyote powered early mustang this weekend. Cool, but lots of work.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/5/15 8:57 a.m.

And that is why you don't see more Coyotes being put into stuff. It's a shame, It's a great motor.

For something easy but still pwoerful, a 250 CI inline 6 and one of these bad boys.

http://www.classicinlines.com/alumoverview.asp#

pres589
pres589 UberDork
5/5/15 9:11 a.m.

Has the OP shared what kind of fab work he wants to do and what his budget is?

I almost suggested e36 M3 engine & trans, because it isn't another 302/T5 or AOD swap and the S52 sounds nice and makes good power. But there's effort and cost involved in such a project. Easy button would be a Explorer 5.0 with a carb intake and some kind of free standing distributor-based ignition. Etc etc.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Reader
5/5/15 9:16 a.m.

What kind of shape is the body in? How much metal work are you looking at? Im just curious, I have a 65 coupe also. Put a windsor engine in, if you want something more exotic put a different ford motor in. Putting other brand engines in classic steel seems whorish.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
5/5/15 9:27 a.m.

would the f150 ecoboost setup fit? b/c we have the gt mustang and the ecoboost and I have to say, the v6 turbo has way more torque and makes the truck at times feel pretty damn fast for having 2k lbs on the mustang...

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
5/5/15 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Mad_Ratel:

It probably would, but it is a tall and complex SOB.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man HalfDork
5/5/15 11:00 a.m.

4v Teksid from a Mark VIII?

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
5/5/15 11:45 a.m.

A lightning motor would be cool.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
5/5/15 1:52 p.m.

RB26DETT?

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
5/5/15 3:14 p.m.
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/5/15 5:09 p.m.

Hit the easy button.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
5/5/15 6:47 p.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: would the f150 ecoboost setup fit? b/c we have the gt mustang and the ecoboost and I have to say, the v6 turbo has way more torque and makes the truck at times feel pretty damn fast for having 2k lbs on the mustang...

This! A "Truck Motor" in a car, but one that puts out 400+ HP with minor mods.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/5/15 7:07 p.m.

Like others said, easy button is some sort of roller cam 302/5.0 windsor backed up with a T5. The stock 6 cylinder rear won't live long behind that. You can find a bolt-in 8 inch rear for almost free, although parts availability for an 8.8 rear is way better. The fox 8.8 rear needs to be narrowed to fit a '65 properly though.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oqE6FCH9XWFuCb6jrPeGocylgykYb96wWYBI2tBEmhcGSs1J1poEY5kihSjMkvzD