1 2 3 4
gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
5/6/15 6:22 a.m.
singledownloop wrote: I'd like an engine with 300+ horsepower that would fit under the hood.

A no brainer is to stick to the SBF family. Very easy to get the 300+ from a 302 or, keeping the same block, stroked to 331 or 347 to get a very docile 300+ hp, along with the torque

Leafy
Leafy HalfDork
5/6/15 6:27 a.m.

But But, no one makes a thread asking what engine to put in a mustang to get told to put in a windsor motor thats more or less just a modernized version of the engine that came in it. We need some blaspheme factor. A turbo'ed modern 4 banger fits that bill and takes like 100lbs off the nose, and the mzr can take a mustang t5 behind it with the quad4rods bell housing, an xr4ti t5 swap pilot bushing, and ranger flywheel and clutch.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
5/6/15 6:39 a.m.

If you really want to be crazy, yet still in the family- find a crashed V12 DB7.

That's 400hp and a real Ford motor. It's also pretty easy to control.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
5/6/15 7:49 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: If you really want to be crazy, yet still in the family- find a crashed Supercharged I6 DB7.

FTFY

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
5/6/15 7:56 a.m.

In reply to yamaha:

The I6 is a jag motor. The V12 is an in-house Ford motor. Same motor that powered the Indigo show car.

I'd much rather have the lighter Ford V12 than the very heavy, and underpowered Jag V6 anyday.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/6/15 8:27 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

You find me a full motor kit for under 4k and you will see that in my Galaxie, no E36 M3.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
5/6/15 8:55 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

Crazy engines were suggested- I bet one can find a V12 for less than a crate Coyote engine. I'm just suggesting an actual crazy Ford engine. That can be run via MS. And make 400hp. Without any mods.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
5/6/15 9:41 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to yamaha: The I6 is a jag motor. The V12 is an in-house Ford motor. Same motor that powered the Indigo show car. I'd much rather have the lighter Ford V12 than the very heavy, and underpowered Jag V6 anyday.

Damn Eric, you should know better. The Jag engines are straight 6's.

Serious Q, the 3.7 Mustang engine. How hard is it to sort out the electronics and make it play GRM style with an older car? I know you preach the difficulty of Direct Injection engines, but this isn't. But all the vehicles they come in have ECU's that want to play with ever other damn thing in the car. How do you swap into an older car and get the electrons to play nice and work without fancy keys, instrument clusters, fuel tank vents, carbon canisters, wheel speed and a million other things I don't even try to understand.

An old Fox body 302 is easy, the electronics are almost stand a lone, but I don't understand modern stuff at all.

Change of tack as I love the engines. 3.0L Duratch bottom end with SVT Contour top end. I love those engines. 2.0L Iron block Zetec, yesI know the 2.0L Duratec is superior in every possible way, I just like the Zetec for no rational reason, especially when paired with a fake BDA cam cover.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
5/6/15 9:59 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

Was it a Jag motor? I just know it was a smaller displacement than the Contemporary Jag I6 offerings of the time.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/6/15 10:10 a.m.

+1 for the "easy button": SBF

It's a known entity and a well traveled installation path. Your desired 300 hp is an easily attainable number. You'll have no trouble unloading the car if you need to sell it, and potentially make money for your troubles, vs. losing money on some wild-ass swap only a few people on this forum would be interested in (provided you're selling it for a fraction of what you have into it).

Winchester67
Winchester67 New Reader
5/6/15 10:12 a.m.

Remember, 1967 was the first year of the big block cars. Shock towers are more narrow on this model...

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/6/15 10:25 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

Oh, I am not disagreeing with you. I am totally on board with stuffing a V12 with 400 ponies in my galaxie. It would be wasted on my car but that doesn't change the fact that it would be awesome. I love the idea!

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
5/6/15 10:34 a.m.

Eco-Boost it?

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
5/6/15 11:39 a.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to alfadriver: Was it a Jag motor? I just know it was a smaller displacement than the Contemporary Jag I6 offerings of the time.

Jag motor in a Jag chassis. It was step one in reviving AML. Step 2 was putting the V12 in it. Step 3 was using a unique chassis. The rest was history. Very good good history for Aston Martin.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
5/6/15 11:45 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
alfadriver wrote: In reply to yamaha: The I6 is a jag motor. The V12 is an in-house Ford motor. Same motor that powered the Indigo show car. I'd much rather have the lighter Ford V12 than the very heavy, and underpowered Jag V6 anyday.
Damn Eric, you should know better. The Jag engines are straight 6's. Serious Q, the 3.7 Mustang engine. How hard is it to sort out the electronics and make it play GRM style with an older car? I know you preach the difficulty of Direct Injection engines, but this isn't. But all the vehicles they come in have ECU's that want to play with ever other damn thing in the car. How do you swap into an older car and get the electrons to play nice and work without fancy keys, instrument clusters, fuel tank vents, carbon canisters, wheel speed and a million other things I don't even try to understand. An old Fox body 302 is easy, the electronics are almost stand a lone, but I don't understand modern stuff at all. Change of tack as I love the engines. 3.0L Duratch bottom end with SVT Contour top end. I love those engines. 2.0L Iron block Zetec, yesI know the 2.0L Duratec is superior in every possible way, I just like the Zetec for no rational reason, especially when paired with a fake BDA cam cover.

Got the I right the first time I mentioned it. But remember, I have much distain for Jaguar- so I don't care if I offend.

The hard parts of the 3.7 is the twin VCT and the electronic throttle. The latter is easy to replace, the former is not. And because of that, I think I would lean more to the original no VCT 3.5l, which is also a cable throttle, etc. You could get a RWD version of that in an F150. Very easy to control.

One might be able to transplant the 3.7 from a 2011 Mustang over- but I'm not sure how integrated that car was. It may be just as tough as transplanting a 3.5l Ecoboost from a F150. Which is kind of an obvious better choice, given the difficulty.

Something I just thought about- 3.5l heads (w/o VCT and ETC) on a 3.7l block. That may work really well, and easy.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
5/6/15 11:50 a.m.

A 351w will look stock but make more power. Same thing as a 302 just a taller deck. Mucho power silly cheap. Or a supercharged v6 out of a super coup?

Adrian_Thompson
5/6/15 12:17 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Got the I right the first time I mentioned it. But remember, I have much distain for Jaguar- so I don't care if I offend.

First the word is Disdain, not distain. Second, you are now dead to me.....

Wanders off muttering to self...not like Jag?.... Not a human...No soul....

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
5/6/15 12:19 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

Did you ever have to work with them? Ruined it for me. (Cosworth is in the same boat)

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
5/6/15 12:23 p.m.

Back on topic..

Considering the power/torque of the original engine in this particular car- a hopped up version of the I3 in the fiesta would work quite nicely.

(talk about an off the wall engine idea)

Oh, and follow up to the turbo-duratec engine- 2.3 Pistons put into a 2.0l engine, and JUST the pistons (from a non VCT motor), and you get an engine with 8.8:1 compression. Which can easily be done with good controls and boost. The one I had in a mondeo was a blast.

Adrian_Thompson
5/6/15 12:38 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to Adrian_Thompson: Did you ever have to work with them? Ruined it for me. (Cosworth is in the same boat)

This is about emotion, not practical crap like working with them, or worse working on them!!

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
5/6/15 12:41 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
alfadriver wrote: In reply to Adrian_Thompson: Did you ever have to work with them? Ruined it for me. (Cosworth is in the same boat)
This is about emotion, not practical crap like working with them, or worse working on them!!

It was emotional.

Leafy
Leafy HalfDork
5/6/15 5:39 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Damn Eric, you should know better. The Jag engines are straight 6's. Serious Q, the 3.7 Mustang engine. How hard is it to sort out the electronics and make it play GRM style with an older car? I know you preach the difficulty of Direct Injection engines, but this isn't. But all the vehicles they come in have ECU's that want to play with ever other damn thing in the car. How do you swap into an older car and get the electrons to play nice and work without fancy keys, instrument clusters, fuel tank vents, carbon canisters, wheel speed and a million other things I don't even try to understand. An old Fox body 302 is easy, the electronics are almost stand a lone, but I don't understand modern stuff at all. Change of tack as I love the engines. 3.0L Duratch bottom end with SVT Contour top end. I love those engines. 2.0L Iron block Zetec, yesI know the 2.0L Duratec is superior in every possible way, I just like the Zetec for no rational reason, especially when paired with a fake BDA cam cover.
Got the I right the first time I mentioned it. But remember, I have much distain for Jaguar- so I don't care if I offend. The hard parts of the 3.7 is the twin VCT and the electronic throttle. The latter is easy to replace, the former is not. And because of that, I think I would lean more to the original no VCT 3.5l, which is also a cable throttle, etc. You could get a RWD version of that in an F150. Very easy to control. One *might* be able to transplant the 3.7 from a 2011 Mustang over- but I'm not sure how integrated that car was. It may be just as tough as transplanting a 3.5l Ecoboost from a F150. Which is kind of an obvious better choice, given the difficulty. Something I just thought about- 3.5l heads (w/o VCT and ETC) on a 3.7l block. That may work really well, and easy.

Twin vct is easy, any modern stand alone will do that. But a ton of tuners cover the stock ecu, some of them should be able to turn off the security. Any of those cyclone motors will have the same engine and tranny mountings, so a new style mustang tranny would be the easy answer for putting it into an old mustang. I'm sure plenty of secretaries and hair dressers have totalled their v6 mustangs texting and driving so it should be easy to get a tranny in the junk yard.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
5/6/15 5:47 p.m.

In reply to Leafy: Can you be more specific on which modern stand alone can control twin VCT?

I'm aware of a number that can do one, including MS, but I've not heard of two for less than $5k.

Leafy
Leafy HalfDork
5/6/15 5:53 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to Leafy: Can you be more specific on which modern stand alone can control twin VCT? I'm aware of a number that can do one, including MS, but I've not heard of two for less than $5k.

Megasquirts that are worth buying, haltech elite, aem infinity (berkeley aem though, I trust how good their stuff looks on paper as far as I can throw an engine), etc.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/6/15 5:57 p.m.
Leafy wrote:
alfadriver wrote: In reply to Leafy: Can you be more specific on which modern stand alone can control twin VCT? I'm aware of a number that can do one, including MS, but I've not heard of two for less than $5k.
Megasquirts that are worth buying, haltech elite, aem infinity (berkeley aem though, I trust how goo their stuff looks on paper as far as I can throw and engine), etc.

Microtech, Link, Syvecs, etc etc etc.

Believe you don't even need Haltech Elite to do it. Pro should do it just fine.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nswW0eSvNR50HsN8C1H7pMlibd8qlmfGcwYbWRIifdVmQUFR26upPjN9MTVGXZfG