1 2 3 4
alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
5/6/15 6:06 p.m.

Ok, that's good.... haven't been looking for a while.

edit- then I would totally choose a 3.7l from a late mustang.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
5/6/15 6:11 p.m.

The Aussies on Mighty Car Mods used Haltech Elite CAN BUS on their EZ36D swap in Gramps. The EZ36D has VVT for both intake and exhaust.

If you still haven't accepted that the SHO V8 is the answer, I submit: the B8444S. Those Noble folks seemed to like it.

The ones Polestar got a hold of for the S60 V8 Supercars causes me to have funny feelings.

Bonus, it's a power plant from the extended blue oval family even, was anyway.

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
5/6/15 9:23 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote: The ones Polstar got a hold of for the S60 V8 Supercars causes me to have funny feelings.

Just looking at the pic gives me funny feelings.

A Duratec V8, I have 2 of the V6's (a round port and an oval port).

The oval port is in her Sable. The round port is slated for my 122 wagon.

singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
5/7/15 11:59 a.m.

The body is pretty nice and has been stored inside.The drivers side quarter looks suspect and will need some attention.I'm aware of the fast and furious franchise and not trying to build that type of car.The interior needs a headliner,drivers seat recovered,and possibly carpet.It has a black interior and the exterior has been repainted poorly.The original color appears to be goldish/green.For the cost of updating and rebuilding the front suspension I could install a mustang II front suspension to make more room in the engine compartment.I plan to narrow a 3:73 trac lock explorer rearend to fit.I have a top loader 4 speed for a V8 but am leaning toward a 5 speed trans for lower hwy rpm's.I will mostly drive it in town but do make regular 120 mile round trip visits to see my daughter and grandson.Unique with good performance is what I'm looking for.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/7/15 7:11 p.m.

If I had a 65/66 coupe I'd probably build it into a tribute to the 66 SCCA group 2 sedan race cars but with modernized mechanicals.

RACE CAR FOR AUCTION

and MORE RACECAR

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/7/15 7:17 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: Not that hard to put a NASCAR type 351 Windsor in it... 800hp. Or detune it a bit for a nice driving 450hp

Isn't that what a certain Mr Maier from Maier racing did with his wife's coupe? From the videos I've seen that car seems to be moving OK...

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
5/7/15 7:39 p.m.
singledownloop wrote: I bought a 65 mustang coupe that's been stored since 92.It has no engine or trans but is an original 6 cylinder automatic car.I plan to update the front and rear suspension to V8 spec.I'd like to do an engine swap of some sort.I'd like an engine with 300+ horsepower that would fit under the hood.Thought about an LS or maybe even a more modern import sports car engine,possibly turbo 4 or 6 cylinder.Any suggestions appreciated.

I love the fact that Ford has an I6 in it's history and I would keep it a I6. The Ford SI6 would be perfect with 300hp and 325 lb.-ft. and you could easily reflash more boost, just right for a T5 with a 9" Detroit locker. Would be the most efficient 300hp Mustang ever built.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_SI6_engine

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?userSearch=int&userPID=1000&userLocation=USA&userIMS=&userInterchange=FA%3F%40%3D&userSide=&userDate=2011&userDate2=2011&dbModel=76.22.1.1&userModel=Volvo%2060%20Series&dbPart=300.1&userPart=Engine&sessionID=200000000000000000794843357&userPreference=price&userZip=37042&userLat=36.5714&userLong=-87.4224&userIntSelect=1687863&intDate=2011&userUID=0&userBroker=&iKey=&userPage=3

mblommel
5/8/15 7:33 a.m.

In reply to svxsti:

That's a neat engine. I never knew it existed. Is it even possible to mount it north/south with the accessories driven off the back of the engine?

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
5/8/15 8:34 a.m.
mblommel wrote: In reply to svxsti: That's a neat engine. I never knew it existed. Is it even possible to mount it north/south with the accessories driven of the back of the engine?

All I know is the S stands for short because it was used with front transaxles but also RWD, so I'm sure it will not only fit, but sit low. BTW it's even shorter than their I5.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
5/8/15 8:45 a.m.

I'm totally digging the Volvo T6 idea. I have the T5 in my C30. It's not the most modern engine, it's not the most efficient engine (I average around 35mpg, but all my shoes seem to be lead lined), but man do I love that engine. Zero detectable turbo lag compared to any modern fly by wire electronic throttle NA engine, makes lovely noises and has V8 levels of low end torque. In fact forget the T6, just get a T5 and be done with it :)

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/8/15 9:13 a.m.

I have two T6s in my basement if the OP wants one or both for ultra cheap. One is buggered but the other should be good with a new timing belt, bearings, and gaskets.

tooms351
tooms351 New Reader
5/8/15 9:53 a.m.

I would press the easy button on the engine and put the time and money into making it stop and handle. Hide the credit card before clicking this, http://www.streetortrack.com/ I have a 66 with a 347 and 5 speed......I was tired of dealing with the 351c swap I did years ago.

mblommel
5/8/15 10:01 a.m.
svxsti wrote:
mblommel wrote: In reply to svxsti: That's a neat engine. I never knew it existed. Is it even possible to mount it north/south with the accessories driven of the back of the engine?
All I know is the S stands for short because it was used with front transaxles but also RWD, so I'm sure it will not only fit, but sit low. BTW it's even shorter than their I5.

Hmmm, well here's what I found after looking around about making one of these RWD:

"The engine compactness has been achieved by locating the ancillaries, such as the Power Assisted Steering Pump and Air Conditioning Compressor, behind the engine in the space above the gearbox. Consequently, there is no front-end drive of the ancillaries - instead, they are driven via gears by the rear end of the crankshaft. This engineering solution is known as READ – Rear End Ancillary Drive. The alternator is direct-driven and installed on the engine block. This solution means that the entire engine and transmission package takes up minimum space, particularly in the longitudinal direction of the car."

Taken from: Blue Oval Forum

Not necessarily a deal killer by any means, but might make a RWD swap a little trickier.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
5/8/15 10:14 a.m.

The previous gen Volvo I6 doesn't have the rear drive accessories and is often swapped into older RWD Bricks. Came stock in the traditional North-South RWD arrangement in the 960 and S90.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
5/8/15 10:16 a.m.

Also, Ojala suggested Volvo I5/6 on page one. So we've come full circle now, and your Mustang must now be Volvo powered.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
5/8/15 10:20 a.m.

In reply to singledownloop:

I've got a 3.80 rear gear with 26" tires and a T-5. I really like this combination. Great acceleration and VERY reasonable RPM's on the freeway. A 3.73 with a T-5 or similar would be just about the same and I would think would be a good combination for you.

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
5/8/15 1:30 p.m.

One of Ward's 10 Best Engines. Not only is it half the size of a V8 it is not an iron block. This should have been in the Jag to go up against BMW. Look at that torque curve, it's more flat than a 5.0L lol.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
5/8/15 1:33 p.m.

In reply to svxsti:

Half the size of a V-8? Sure about that? Just out of curiosity, what does it weigh?

chiodos
chiodos Reader
5/8/15 6:00 p.m.

Right at 400lbs I do believe.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IiTwrHLgE4sTHxYATO6uBwTl14PtF9kJsTvOCdDYo777YOktiquYCNkpE2sY8IME