1 2 3 4 5
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/21 10:01 a.m.

Remember your winch is not a tie down.  People use it as one but the DOT can and local PDs often do bust balls over it at least around here

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/13/21 10:06 a.m.
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/13/21 10:07 a.m.

Oops, print one out and leave it in the truck.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
4/13/21 1:03 p.m.

Good info all! 

Anyone want to hazard a guess at how much this thing weighs empty? I need to get it to the scales. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/21 1:53 p.m.

10,500 a wild guess. 

accordionfolder
4/13/21 2:38 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

Remember your winch is not a tie down.  People use it as one but the DOT can and local PDs often do bust balls over it at least around here

I bought a lot of random tie downs! It's kinda part of the fun. I usually leave the winch as a backup "oh E36 M3" on the few car's I've moved around. 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/13/21 2:42 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

10,500 a wild guess. 

I’ll throw out 10,250, ‘cause I really wanted Wally’s guess! I’d say we’re pretty close. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/13/21 3:18 p.m.

I've known a few people that had rollbacks and sold them because of the insurance costs.  Apparently the insurance company would not believe they weren't operating a business and the cost was high.  The taxes and tag were rediculous here as well and one guy got tired of his friends thinking they all got free tows.  

accordionfolder
4/13/21 4:07 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

Interesting, my insurance wasn't bad at all (well, so far?), and they stated that it wouldn't be that much more if I wanted business insurance instead...

I could see every random person asking for a tow being annoying, but I don't mind enabling within reason ;) 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/15/21 12:16 a.m.

By the way, since you mentioned brakes... my frankentruck, while doing rear brake work:

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/15/21 12:21 a.m.

This is you rotors, without the calipers, while being painted.You can see the old pads on the ground. This is after the caliper on this side locked up and introduced enough drag to cause major concern. While being towed home, it was giving the MD tow truck problems, till we saw the smoke, and took the caliper completely off the rest of the way!

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/15/21 12:30 a.m.

Check out that factory spring pack! See the pads that connect with the overload spring? Can ya imagine squatting that enough to need 'em? And on the other side, you can see the caliper I panted before assembling with new piston seals.

The hole with the strapping showing, is where the rear tank goes. and you can see the side tank here as well. Those two tanks feed the dual tank switch on the left frame rail.

That ain't no 1/2 ton frame!

accordionfolder
4/15/21 8:21 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Haha - I love that your Franken-F-Superduty has an f-150 badge on the side!

I've ordered one of those "shop manuals on CD" for the 1994 F-line o' trucks to help me fumble about. I figure I can at least get the right torque values....

I've also read online that this generation was generally under-rated on max towing and bed capacity. My truck has a stinger with a ball hitch mount on it.

Right now it's at the welder getting a bit of work on the bed and I'm already missing it - I have a pile of parts sitting here waiting to go on it!

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/15/21 8:45 a.m.

I bought the truck without looking at the bill of sale to close; in AL, on older stuff the bill of sale actually maters more than the title does. The bill of sale is actually for the 1/2 ton 4x4 XLT 92 cab that's on it. I thought it was just the f150 fenders! I have a 89 f250 x cab that will prolly end up on it. A bit easier to explain to insurance. 

Glad you picked up a shop manual. That should come in handy as ya learn its oddities!

Feel free to reach out if there is anything I could help with. 

accordionfolder
4/21/21 10:04 a.m.

Bad news boys. I took the bed to the welder because one of the i-beams (on a portion I could see) looked rough and it clearly needed wear pads. I was hoping he could repair it. When we got the bed off of it  ... it seems beyond repair for this particular aluminum bed..... The two wear pads that are really hard to see (above the fuel tank) were completely destroyed and had eaten into the bed.

I knew - based on the "deal" on the truck I got that it was going to have problems, but this was a bit further than we'd hoped (obviously)

WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO?!

I have a F-Superduty with good hyrdraulics and a wheel lift still.

I also have a welder and a lot of bad ideas for a tilting steel bed.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/21 11:47 a.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

Build an RV/overland box on the back & hit the road?

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
4/21/21 11:51 a.m.

A pic or 2 would help. If it was made by a human it can very likely be remade or fixed by a human.

accordionfolder
4/21/21 5:34 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

https://photos.app.goo.gl/k4EvfLhiCRgEtRCU7

Here's the album of the bed - if you guys think I should take it to a second opinion I could try!

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/21/21 5:49 p.m.

Ain't no reason that can't be fixed. Its metal. 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/21/21 6:21 p.m.

I was not able to access the pictures of the bed, but I know Lawrence Shafer over in Linden can fix it! Is it worth the cost? Y'all will have to decide that. But he's honest and easy to talk to to find out. Bit of a day trip for ya, but worth the second opinion. He's also odd enough to help ya decide if you want to do something else, like a box truck rv, or whatever.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/21 6:28 p.m.

Those two I beams are aluminum right?  I could see where that would be a PITA to repair.  If it were steel much easier.

accordionfolder
4/21/21 6:31 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Yar! The main issue was detaching said aluminum rails, they're welded on the inside for some parts of the gussetting. 

accordionfolder
4/21/21 6:32 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Thank you for the recommendation! Lol, he's on my list of people to call to see what he thinks of the situation! I'm oddly not particularly bummed, this was worth it to me to find out I apparently love rollbacks....

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/21 6:33 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

Maybe contact local towing companies and see if they have an old bed?

accordionfolder
4/21/21 6:33 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

I agree to some extent, he wasn't willing to give it a try because of comfort with the material or the like, I think I'll fish around for some second opinions....

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6asbq24oQ53gVr2Z1Gjv1edhqT1Peh6Fslb4wkXYDIOFLEzNmlY0OVxl8MLUu7qz