1 2 3 4 5
accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
4/21/21 6:35 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I've tried a few, but Jerr-Dan beds are kinda a rarity around these parts.... The closest dealer is really far away.

If anyone has any contacts or is checking the book of faces market the model # of my bed is 19AEL

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/21/21 7:07 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

I'm oddly not particularly bummed, this was worth it to me to find out I apparently love rollbacks....

The truck, with just a working wheel lift is prolly worth the entry price to find that out, if the bed truly is unrepairable (and I doubt it is)

I have another GREAT contact for ya, but the coastline of VA, is really a long way away!

I had mentioned to Cotton, that Lawrence had offered to fix the bed of the FL50 for me, if I found him an old school 3 phase tig welder; I think Cotton already had found a posability in that direction. If y'all went in together on a machine, so he didn't have to switch his mig back and forth, he would give both of ya a great deal on AL welding. He prefers tig to the spool gun anyway.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
4/21/21 7:10 p.m.

NMNA but this guy is semi local to me, I can checkout and pickup/store if he has anything you're interested in. 

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/hvo/d/wadsworth-heavy-duty-jerr-dan-steel/7305585255.html

wae
wae UberDork
4/21/21 7:48 p.m.

If that would fit on the trailer, we might be able to work out delivery if I can figure out where to stash that miata shell.....

accordionfolder
4/21/21 8:17 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Lol, if you can't find a place for the shell you CAN just come get the parts. 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/21/21 10:06 p.m.

Just a quick glance, and I have not seen your bed, but I be shocked if a repair came to more than those prices.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/21 6:59 a.m.

Aluminum may be a problem because it's going to be very contaminated but when we had a similar problem we took it to a local truck body builder.  They didn't specifically do towing equipment but their opinion was trucks are trucks. They were able to make the needed part and had the equipment needed to remove and install the body to do it. It was a lot faster than if we tried doing it ourselves and the price was fairly reasonable. 

accordionfolder
4/22/21 7:34 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

So two things seem to be going against me: the cost of raw materials right now and the amount of labor to remove, clean, and prep the aluminum. 

I'm going to call around and see what everyone says though!

accordionfolder
4/22/21 10:27 a.m.

Do any steel rollback beds use ACTUAL rollers? Or do they all use wear-pads and I-beams? 

Also also, look how big the winch was on this thing. It weighs like ... 150lbs or so.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/22/21 11:07 a.m.
Dead_Sled said:

NMNA but this guy is semi local to me, I can checkout and pickup/store if he has anything you're interested in. 

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/hvo/d/wadsworth-heavy-duty-jerr-dan-steel/7305585255.html

Holy crap. That's exactly what I need for my c50.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
4/22/21 11:28 a.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

I've never seen rollers. Our WeldBuilt just used a heavy slathering of grease. 

accordionfolder
4/22/21 11:30 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Huh, so big steel beds just ride steel to steel with grease to make a sandwich? Do they have a wear life of any appreciable amount? Kinda weird how hard it is to get an "inner workings" photo of a rollback bed....

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/22/21 11:59 a.m.

Does it need to be repaired with aluminum?  Can you DIY repair it by drilling some holes and bolting on some steel?  If it's just for personal use and you're not opening a towing business then it's going to see a tiny fraction of the use cycles it would normally.

(I have no idea how these work).

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/22/21 12:01 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

Does it need to be repaired with aluminum?  Can you DIY repair it by drilling some holes and bolting on some steel?  If it's just for personal use and you're not opening a towing business then it's going to see a tiny fraction of the use cycles it would normally.

(I have no idea how these work).

I was just sitting here thinking the exact same thing. Some good thick angle iron, 3/8 bolts with Nylock nuts, and some grease and send it. Doesn't need to be a commercial repair. Just needs to not be worn the berkeley out.

accordionfolder
4/22/21 12:08 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Galvanic Corrosion is the issue going steel to aluminum so far as I'm aware. It's why aluminum beds ride on "wear pads" and do not contact the steel frame or subframe I believe.

https://www.trailer-bodybuilders.com/fabrication/article/21741366/how-to-deal-with-dissimilar-metals

Though I'm not an expert on the subject by any means. 

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
4/22/21 1:45 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Galvanic Corrosion is the issue going steel to aluminum so far as I'm aware. It's why aluminum beds ride on "wear pads" and do not contact the steel frame or subframe I believe.

https://www.trailer-bodybuilders.com/fabrication/article/21741366/how-to-deal-with-dissimilar-metals

Though I'm not an expert on the subject by any means. 

Place a "gasket" between the AL and steel

accordionfolder
4/22/21 2:24 p.m.

Found the manual - don't squish anyone with a VW beetle. That's a no-no.

accordionfolder
4/23/21 3:13 p.m.

Pretty sure I'm going to make a bed for it. Hahahaha

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/21 3:48 p.m.

Where's the burn out video?

accordionfolder
4/23/21 4:04 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Lol, I gotta do the rest of the maintenance on the truck first!

Does anyone know off hand what the minimum approach angle of a ramp that's good for race cars? My current "extended" angle is 14*

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
4/23/21 11:11 p.m.

Peaking around your "ramp" board, you wheel lift looks a whole lot like mine smiley

accordionfolder
4/23/21 11:19 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Lol, That was the longest lumber I had to verify my math was working! I'm probably going to make it worse, but I'm having fun, so there's that!

accordionfolder
4/24/21 4:47 p.m.

Hmmmm

accordionfolder
4/26/21 8:27 a.m.

Send help on this thread if you have any thoughts on metal thickness and slat spacing?

Well now I've done it:

Wally (Forum Supporter)
4/26/21 8:38 a.m.
Stampie said:

Where's the burn out video?

Burnouts are next too impossible, I broke two axle shafts on over enthusiastic launches. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LEFgNy3VIe4QLiCU8ZVcLk8koqjT5tx4Nk3DgxQYqF7GzEeyOZ5JZBWW8qgO8Hi9