pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/11 11:58 a.m.

Great article on the Boxster this month. Not ideal for me (where do I put wife, daughter, baby, and two dogs??) but i have a few friends who are owners and they are great cars. You have to drive them, the spec sheet doesn't do them justice.

Oh, and my boss drives this:

Yes, I have an awesome boss.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/11 12:12 p.m.

SWMBO wants to replace the 944 with a Boxster as soon as possible. I am in 100% agreement and am saving pennies for an early Boxster S.

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
5/10/11 12:18 p.m.

I did a track day in my father in law's '02 Boxster S and was really impressed with how well it kept up with significantly higher horsepower cars. It is a seriously fun car to drive.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
5/10/11 12:55 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Great article on the Boxster this month. Not ideal for me (where do I put wife, daughter, baby, and two dogs??)

Daughter with you, and the two dogs and the wife in a Miata

SCORE!!!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/10/11 1:03 p.m.
FlightService wrote:
pinchvalve wrote: Great article on the Boxster this month. Not ideal for me (where do I put wife, daughter, baby, and two dogs??)
Daughter with you, and the two dogs and the wife in a Miata SCORE!!!

Game, set, match.

Seriously, glad you guys enjoyed the article. I have been shopping for one myself.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
5/10/11 1:12 p.m.

I didn't get that far thru the magazine yet, but damn, that guy with the red 964 is one hot looking fella.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
5/10/11 1:14 p.m.

As a suggestion for the article, it would have been really good to research the Boxster Spec series. Those folks are at the cutting edge of determining the reliability of the Boxster. I was just reading a thread about the shift linkages causing some headaches and possible fixes. I did some research when Boxster Spec was just coming out and found only three issues: 1. Racing with race tires was too much for the brakes. Not an issue if you're not running slicks, and easy to upgrade. 2. Front wheel bearings wear out under race tire cornering loads. Same problem as a Miata, probably same solution (replace with new bearings packed with Redline grease). 3. Rear main seal. $600 fix parts and labor. Not a deal breaker in my book.

Based on that research, plus their awesome behavior on track and affordable buy-in, I've been recommending them as an excellent track car (subject to local convertible rules).

David

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
5/10/11 1:21 p.m.

There was talk that the rear main seal was a recall item on some years.

nervousdog
nervousdog HalfDork
5/10/11 1:47 p.m.

It was a great article. I read it once and have been studying the model year breakdown and that 2 page summary at the end of the article. When I am in the market for another "fun" car the Boxster will definitely be on my short list.

My wife knows how much I like Porsche so she took a pic of the mag when it arrived and texted it to me while I was at work. Yeah, she's awesome like that.

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
5/10/11 3:34 p.m.

Several years back we had a local guy with a Ruf modified Boxster. I tried keeping up with it at a track day once, it was a rocket! I'd love a Boxster, and as stated above, you really have to drive one to understand. It's easily one of my all time favorite Porsches for just driving.

loosecannon
loosecannon Reader
5/10/11 3:51 p.m.

We have had our 2004 base Boxster for a few years and have put hundreds of auto-x runs on it and several lapping days-it's been the best car I have ever owned and convinced me that my dream car is the Boxster Spyder w/PDK, not the GT3.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
4/1/14 11:32 a.m.

zombie tread alert -

is this Boxster article online anywhere? I found "Tech Tips: Porsche Boxster", but that is not a buyers guide.

My wife wants to get rid of the MINI and sent me a 2008 Boxster for sale ad. Never had that much interest in them until now.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9IRXJt4phoKHo4r7ubPUUr1705dpRtgCUdCYZBt9s2JMzpgw1c9xjTEBVroV7Bik