1 2 3
dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/21/08 10:01 p.m.

So what evilness could be had with this as the starting point? LSx perhaps?

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/car/727665799.html

Osterkraut
Osterkraut New Reader
6/21/08 10:10 p.m.

Oh my GOD a LSx Boxster would be...ruthless...

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/21/08 10:39 p.m.

I did a ton of research on Boxsters last year.

At this point, no one makes an adapter to mate any engine to a Boxster transmission, so you would be on your own. Early Boxsters with bad engines are becoming cheap and plentiful. Engine parts are not, and the only real options are a used engine from a wreck or a new engine from Por$che.

I thought a Subaru 2.5 would be a logical alternative, but I guess the starter (among other things) would be a problem. I think the Subaru starter mounts to the transmission and the Boxster starter mounts to the engine.

It's really unfortunate that early Boxsters have such potential for catastrophic engine failure. They're still a little too expensive to attack with welder and a V8.

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
6/22/08 8:27 a.m.

My research on the Boxster, which ended in my purchase of one a few years back, indicated that catastrophic engine failure was a concern but it's likely by now that any one that was going to fail would have done so already.

I guess there might be an early one sitting in a guy's garage with 10k miles ready to fail, but not likely.

I also talked with the local service manager who said the same thing, and that the internet noise was likely worse than the reality.

As for mine, it developed a leaking rear main seal early, which is a common problem.

As far as swaps go, I've read that any 996 engine will fit, which overall would be the best and probably least expensive route (Though still very expensive.)

You can have a Pre-purchase inspection at any Porsche Dealer on any old Porsche, for a few hundred dollars. It's pretty comprehensive.

The guy who bought mine had one done.

-James

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT New Reader
6/22/08 9:07 a.m.

Boxsters are brilliant on track and pretty nice on the street, too. The catastrophic engine failure was very early in production and tended to show early on; if it hasn't failed by now it's probably fine. The rear main seal is a not uncommon failure item but even if you have a dealer fix it it's only $650; not bad given how cheap you can pick one up. And these cars sound uber-awesome.

The 2.5 is a fine motor and the 207 HP is sufficient. More is always more better, though. 996 motors are pretty cheap and if they drop in that would be a cool upgrade. For sure an LSx would be awesome but it would take a far better mechanic than me to even start to make it fit.

David

maroon92
maroon92 Dork
6/22/08 9:19 a.m.

I would love to see a GT3 RS engine in this, a high strung NA engine would be awesome. the chassis has so much potential, but porsche would never allow it to have more power.

it would look great with some 997 Turbo rims, and a hardtop.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/22/08 11:03 a.m.

I still like the idea of the Suby STi engine.. water to air intercooler, wire and bolt it up.. and you are going to be spanking a few 997s

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/22/08 2:03 p.m.

I'm surprised Renegade doesn't have anything available for this car.

The Subie idea sounds very cool too.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua Dork
6/22/08 4:04 p.m.

I think Renegade sticks with porsches that have become cheap enough to experiment with. Im not sure they have a lot of cash to work with- they have always come across as a little bit low budget. They are also a little slow on the draw, took years after everyone else was swapping LSx motors into everything before they finally started using them in conversions..

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/22/08 5:48 p.m.

I had the pleasure of chatting with Peter Egan at length last summer. As some may recall, he bought a Boxster a couple of years back - along with an extended warranty. He was quite happy with the warranty, because it paid for the new engine after the catastrophic failure...

Woodyhfd
6/22/08 8:41 p.m.
DWNSHFT wrote: Boxsters are brilliant on track and pretty nice on the street, too. The catastrophic engine failure was very early in production and tended to show early on; if it hasn't failed by now it's probably fine. The rear main seal is a not uncommon failure item but even if you have a dealer fix it it's only $650; not bad given how cheap you can pick one up. And these cars sound uber-awesome.

There are several different significant engine issues with the Boxster. I think that the one that you are referring to has to do with sleeved blocks losing their sleeves. I agree that most of those engines have made their presence known at this point.

Excellence magazine has stated that the rear main seal leak may be found in as many of 50% of the cars. There is a redesigned seal, but the engine must come out to install it.

The other biggie is the fact that the heavy dual mass flywheel is unsupported on one end, which can cause the crankshaft bores to deform. If, after removing the engine, this is found to be the cause of your oil leak, there is no repair and a replacement engine is necessary.

A few month's back, Peter Egan said that while he loved his Boxster, it was a car that he could barely afford to own, but not to fix.

He is a better mechanic (and writer!) than I am.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/22/08 11:21 p.m.

What about a 20b Boxster? Call it the 20Boxtser. Or call it something actually clever instead.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/22/08 11:49 p.m.
Keith wrote: I had the pleasure of chatting with Peter Egan at length last summer. As some may recall, he bought a Boxster a couple of years back - along with an extended warranty. He was quite happy with the warranty, because it paid for the new engine after the catastrophic failure...

lol!!!

I love how catastrophic engine failure in a German car is "charming" while Diamond Stars that are synonymous w/ crankwalk are junk.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/23/08 7:47 a.m.

It may be my ability to overthink here... but if another similar year P car engine will fit why couldn't the adapter from that P car trans fit?

The Factory Five supercar uses a late model P car trans axle, it also uses an honest to god fire breathing LS small block Chevrolet...

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/23/08 7:59 a.m.
gamby wrote: I love how catastrophic engine failure in a German car is "charming" while Diamond Stars that are synonymous w/ crankwalk are junk.

..or in domestics for that matter. Porsche - there is no substitute.

AutoXR
AutoXR New Reader
6/23/08 1:08 p.m.

Who said U had to use the boxster tranny?

Sell it and get a G50.

or call Hobart Kennedy (kennedy engineering) he will make any adapter u want.

then put in an LS1.

J.M Co-Builder of the worlds first and only rear engined LS1 powered porsche trannied 380hp corvair.... thats right...you read correctly.

Woodyhfd
6/23/08 1:27 p.m.
AutoXR wrote: Who said U had to use the boxster tranny? Sell it and get a G50. or call Hobart Kennedy (kennedy engineering) he will make any adapter u want.

1) G50's are a little pricey.

2) We do not adapt to the Boxter. Sorry

KENNEDY ENGINEERED PRODUCTS 661-272-1147 38830 17th St. E Fax: 661-272-1575 Palmdale, CA 93550

jrw1621
jrw1621 New Reader
6/23/08 2:20 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: Oh my GOD a LSx Boxster would be...ruthless...

Here is the reverse of your proposition. A VW (Porsche) based kit car, made to look like a Vette http://columbus.craigslist.org/car/729670232.html

racerdave600
racerdave600 New Reader
6/23/08 2:23 p.m.

Keep in mind also that the LS1 is a bit taller than the Boxster motor, so not only will you have to adapt it to fit the transaxle, but also rework the rear bodywork and structure to accept a taller motor. That's sure to raise the CG and spoil some of the handling as well. Also, not sure of the weight differences, so that may also affect the handling.

Ruf makes or made a version of the Boxster, and it was bloody quick. Not sure of the motor mods, or if it was even the same motor, but I can tell you from trying to follow one on track, that it's extremely fast!

PeteWW
PeteWW New Reader
6/23/08 2:45 p.m.

I'm surprised that nobody has said, "Miata!"

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
6/23/08 3:13 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: Keep in mind also that the LS1 is a bit taller than the Boxster motor, so not only will you have to adapt it to fit the transaxle, but also rework the rear bodywork and structure to accept a taller motor. That's sure to raise the CG and spoil some of the handling as well. Also, not sure of the weight differences, so that may also affect the handling. !

Boxster is Mid engine, so you'd have to rework your shoulder to get it to fit.

If that's not a deal breaker, I believe cooling would be. A regular Boxster uses two tiny radiators, an S uses Three. The 10 quarts of oil catches the rest, I would imagine.

-James

exST165
exST165 None
6/23/08 9:29 p.m.

A quick goodl search gave the following 996 swaps:

(click on parts then scroll down) http://www.kellymoss.com/

http://www.rufautocentre.com/conversions/Boxster.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQtIeNc5xrQ

I hesitate to ask how much $ one of these conversions would run, but it might be cheaper in the long run than trying to repair all the rust on a 914 before swapping an LSx in.

-Thomas

fatallightning
fatallightning New Reader
6/24/08 12:15 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote:
Osterkraut wrote: Oh my GOD a LSx Boxster would be...ruthless...
Here is the reverse of your proposition. A VW (Porsche) based kit car, made to look like a Vette http://columbus.craigslist.org/car/729670232.html

why that looks like a potential jalopnik project car from hell.

lyle_woodard
lyle_woodard
1/18/12 3:24 p.m.

check out the book 101 projects for the Porsche Boxster, has a very good section on engine swaps(limited to porsche engines). You might even find the same info on the Pelican auto parts website.

singleslammer
singleslammer New Reader
1/18/12 3:27 p.m.

Back from the Dead! Zombie Thread! I kid...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vCUym9wjKSyMbbQ1WsZUaCJ1WcfIHp0FEmO3DUbnvaxEJLwPNb9taZB11z68L3cq