1 2
CLH
CLH GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/3/13 11:27 p.m.

We just recently acquired additional garage space (that just happens to have a house attached to it) for the primary purpose of providing me somewhere to indulge my automotive hobbies. I'm now at the starting stages of a car hunt. The car will be used only for auto-x, occasional track days and other HPDE-type use and won't be a DD.

I've had a wide variety of cars in the past but vastly prefer RWD and "light-ish" vehicles for this type of use. Previous suspects have included a 240z (twice), 280zx turbo, NA and NB Miatae, 2nd gen RX7, WRX, S2000 and an E90 3-series. I live in the Seattle area so I need something that will provide weather protection that I can fit into with a helmet on (this pretty much eliminates another Miata - don't fit with the top up and a helmet on).

I've been hankering for a P-car, and it seems like an early Boxster will fit the bill. I'm leaning toward a 2000-2004 S. I have no fear of wrenching on pretty much anything, and relish the thought of getting to spend some quality tool-time with whatever I pick up. It won't stay stock for long, whatever it is.

Given the above, should I start with a Boxster or Boxster S? Everything I've read indicates that with the early cars especially most everything crosses over from a component perspective, so if I plan to mod the suspension anyway it seems more cost effective to start with a cheaper base platform (I've seen great candidates in the $8-10k range hereabouts). Other than more power and slightly larger brakes I'm not seeing the compelling argument for the S. OK, more power. Yep. But is there anything else? Am I really going to kick myself for not dropping a little extra coin for an S? Are the general driving dynamics noticeably different?

I'm looking to stay under $15k for buy-in.

Thanks for the insight...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/13 5:04 a.m.

At this point, for cars of that age, the price difference between a base model and an S is pretty much a wash. Start with an S.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
7/4/13 6:17 a.m.

I had a 2001 986S and I loved it. I think it was a great car for the price and was a really great cruiser. It was Unmodified beside the BB exhaust and a set of Kinesis; never used it for auto-x or HPDE since I had my MKI for that. It never really felt fast or powerful but it handled very well.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/4/13 7:41 a.m.

This is harsh and slightly unfair, but I like to call the Boxster "The MR-S for the man with more money than sense." If you're gonna get a car that has common lowbrow macstrut suspension, why not get one with a vastly better aftermarket, vastly cheaper parts and arguably, better looks? You'd have plenty of money for mods in the price difference too.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
7/4/13 7:51 a.m.

Because flat six.

More seriously, because you would rather have a Boxster. I daily drive a 964: yes, there are a plethora of more cost effective, higher performance vehicles...but I love the 964, and it makes me grin from ear to ear whenever I dive into a corner. This hobby isn't rational at the best of times.

M030
M030 Dork
7/4/13 7:54 a.m.

No reason not to. A Boxster S is a wonderful car. Lots of fun to drive, makes nice noises, etc. I wish I had my 2001 S back

M030
M030 Dork
7/4/13 7:57 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

You're right! I sold my 2001 S about eight years ago to free up capital for my business. I replaced it with a much cheaper 1997 2.5 that my wife loves, but it just isn't the same. The 97 is much slower & somehow the chassis seems weaker, too. Now that they cost about the same, getting the S makes much more sense. Eight years ago, when I did that, the price differential was close to $10k

Woody
7/4/13 8:43 a.m.

Also, the transmission in the S is apparently a much stronger unit, it's not just the five speed with an extra gear.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/4/13 8:50 a.m.

Early non-S models had porous cylinder sleeve issues and major IMS bearing problems, neither of which are cheap to fix. I think the IMS bearing and oil separator have to be looked after on all 986 cars but the later ones and S cars are less-failure prone.

CLH
7/4/13 9:45 a.m.

Thanks for the feedback. That helps.

For GameboyRMH: No offense taken :) I've actually looked into an MR-S but they leave me a bit cold, and they don't seem to have the broadest of aftermarket support. On top of that decent ones around here aren't very far off in terms of money from a solid S. Though I wouldn't call it an absolute beauty queen, I like the looks of the Boxster better too.

M030
M030 Dork
7/4/13 9:56 a.m.

FWIW, I thought my S was gorgeous in silver. Silver kind of hides those funny headlights. My red 97 isn't nearly as pretty. My wife said the silver S had, "the glow of a special car" nobody has ever mentioned my red 97 & special in the same sentence. Get the S! You will love the car!

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
7/4/13 12:18 p.m.

I have been watching the steady fall of Boxster prices with great anticipation.

Honestly, i would LOVE for the MR-S to present me a compelling argument that would pull me away from the Boxster. The main things holding that up are that the cheapest boxsters cost the same as an MR-S and perform the same or better and are more 'special'.

I like the MR-S a lot in it's own right and would love to own one, but comparing it to a Boxster doesn turn out too well because the MR-S is overpriced in comparison. If the MR-S already had a 2zz in it it would level the playing field quite a bit, but it doesn't. It has a 130hp base corolla motor.

Woody
7/4/13 12:38 p.m.

This book will give you an idea of what you can do yourself:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/ShopCart/BOOK/POR_BOOK_bkptec_pg2.htm

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
7/4/13 12:59 p.m.

I've sort of been shoppng around - it seems pretty close in price between e46 m3s and boxster S cars. My neighbor just picked up a dark blue S. It's a gorgeous car.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
7/4/13 2:33 p.m.

I love the S as well, but I'm waiting on Caymans to get a bit cheaper.

speedbiu
speedbiu Reader
7/4/13 3:45 p.m.

I have owned several Boxsters.Stay away from the 97s they have issues with the pistons slipping out of the cyl.The 97-99 came with the 2.5 and are kinda weak on power.The 2000-2002 came with the 2.7 and the S's came with the 3.2 and six speed gear box and an extra(third) radiator in the center of the bumper.The S's with the 3.2 will eat an 911 on a track with a novice driver due to the perfect 50/50 split.Which ever you choose make sure theres no oil leak between the gear box and engine.Best case its a rear main seal worst its a pre cursor to an IMS failure.IMS bearing can be replaced prior to failure at a cost of DYI 1000.00 You have to buy the 350 dollar tool to remove it and the IMS bearing is about 700 bucks.Pelican is said to have released a cheaper one but I have not seen it.The air/oil separators goes out and are about 109 at rock auto,takes about two hours to change and can be done on a set of ramps. Over reeving the engine is surly the death of it.lol.They didn't fix the IMS problem till 2007.The 2001-2002 is the best years for the buck.As for mods,forget it.really! Put you a 299 stainless Chinese exhaust off ebay, just because it make it sound great,other than that your wasting your money.there fast and and your throwing thousands at just few HP( the cheap stainless exhaust added 9 hp.) dyno tested. 17 or 18" wheels are the best 19's will scrub.I love mine !!

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
7/4/13 10:01 p.m.

I am probably the only person who likes Boxsters and isn't remotely interested in Caymans. I know it's a great car, and im glad it exists, but putting a permanent hardtop on a boxster sort of ruins it for me.

Woody
7/5/13 6:32 a.m.

I'm done with convertibles. I've owned five. Towards the end, I was driving around with the top up and the a/c on. I can't take long days in the sun anymore.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/5/13 8:08 a.m.

The S is the way to go.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
7/5/13 10:05 a.m.
I can't take long days in the sun anymore.

I guess i'm lucky in that my current convertible's top will go up when i push a button, so i dont have to commit to a 'long day' with it down.

beans
beans Reader
7/5/13 11:09 a.m.

If there are any cheap conversions to get the look of the "Spyder" tops, DO WANT. I'd rock the E36 M3 out of a Boxster S.

CLH
7/5/13 7:50 p.m.

You're all helping me make up my mind...

The next question: '00-'02, or be picky and hold out for an '03-'04? Power difference is small and rear window is glass, but any other compelling differences? I'm seeing far more '00-'02s out there and I've come across a few good looking ones that have hardtops as well (major bonus for me).

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
7/5/13 8:03 p.m.

I've never driven the s, is it way better than the regular? When I drive a base model, I thought the only reason any of these ever sold is because someone wanted to wear a porsche hat at the country club, because an s2000 was superior in every way

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/5/13 8:15 p.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: I've never driven the s, is it way better than the regular? When I drive a base model, I thought the only reason any of these ever sold is because someone wanted to wear a porsche hat at the country club, because an s2000 was superior in every way

Yeah, S has quite a few more horses and an extra gear. Big difference, much nicer car.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
7/6/13 5:41 a.m.
beans wrote: If there are any cheap conversions to get the look of the "Spyder" tops, DO WANT. I'd rock the E36 M3 out of a Boxster S.

I had a twin hump top cover on mine; I you only take it out on sunny days its fine but if you really drive it than it is a pain to take on and off. Trying to find a picture.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rEjDJVHXsVwpmorLeqRk3miec4CkE06ucadBSf5sften38YzbeWrM0PmuM6QOSwV