Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/26/22 7:59 a.m.

I know to check rubber brake hoses for swelling and cracking. Braided hoses, however,  dont show that. 

How do i determine if they are good? Is there an age that they should just be replaced? Or a way to inspect?

The naskart uses braided hoses. I have extra braided hoses that are the premade style like what is on the car. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
7/26/22 8:59 a.m.

The only way to test them is with a pressure test rig. If they look good they are good., no kinks, especially at the ends. The only failures I have seen are when they have been used as a wheel tether is a crash.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/22 9:44 a.m.

The greater ease of inspection/visibility of damage on rubber lines is one of the reasons I'm sticking to them in the future. Without pressure testing on a rig, all you can do is give it a good visual inspection, apply heavy brake pressure to the car while it's stopped as a "live pressure test," and apply thoughts & prayers.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
7/26/22 10:00 a.m.

Off topic, but related to braided lines - where do yall go for custom brake lines? 

So Im considering a brake upgrade but would have to source my own line, one side to connect to a toyota part, the the other to a nissan part. I dont know, really, where to begin

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
7/26/22 10:09 a.m.
hybridmomentspass said:

Off topic, but related to braided lines - where do yall go for custom brake lines? 

So Im considering a brake upgrade but would have to source my own line, one side to connect to a toyota part, the the other to a nissan part. I dont know, really, where to begin

Off-road shops.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
7/26/22 10:59 a.m.

In reply to kb58 :

Awesome, there are several nearby, would have never thought about seeking them

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
7/26/22 11:53 a.m.

Have the hoses been unused for a long time or exposed to the elements? Have they been holding brake fluid or were they emptied?

Visually check if there are any wet areas. If all looks good apply heavy pressure and see if any leaks show up.

If all looks good I would then replace the fluid and take some test drives.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
7/26/22 12:00 p.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

Buy the bits and pieces and make your own. The hoses I referenced in the above comment about using them as wheel tethers were all made in a shop by one of the race techs, several of them by me.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
7/26/22 1:06 p.m.

I always made Aeroquip lines for the race cars. The only failure I ever had was when one of the fine stainless wires in the sheath broke (hit by a stone...who knows) and the line perforated Otherwise zero issues with them.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/26/22 1:11 p.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

Lots of hyd shops. Just don't mention "brake" or most want touch it. 
"It's a hydraulic hose for the clutch on my tractor" usually does the trick!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/26/22 1:17 p.m.

The S/S braided hoses for plumbing hookups have a cheap rubber or plastic tube inside - short life.  A large manufacturer of washing machine hoses recommends the rubber ones over the S/S versions.

S/S automotive brake lines should have a Teflon (PTFE) tube and usually Teflon is rated to 450dgF and rubber tops out at 225-230-250-ish dgF.   One reason for Teflon.

We pressure test hoses but it's not worth the cost for these small hoses.  Broken wires or bulges or torquing a hose is the enemy.   Not much else to look for.  

Berck
Berck Reader
7/26/22 1:26 p.m.

I just had one fail where it was vibrating over a frame member.  Looked fine everywhere except the very small hole, and it wasn't obvious that it was touching the frame when the car was stopped.  Fortunately it was a rear line and there was enough runoff and braking available from the front that I avoided an incident. Only found the problem from the drop of brake fluid after pumping the brakes in the paddock.  Anywhere they touch metal, make sure you've got a layer of rubber between the SS line and whatever it's going to touch.  Adel clamps are best, zip tie over another rubber hose works too.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/26/22 1:35 p.m.
hybridmomentspass said:

I take the old rubber ones to my local hydraulic hose shop and ask for exact replicas, including and standoffs for clips or rubber grommets....for about $12 ea.  I had them get rid of the superfluous junction and make a one-piece hoses for the back of the E36.  

I think it's a great cheap upgrade for older cars.  Every time I've had a rubber hose fail, it looks fine externally.  For $12 ea, you could replace them every few years if you're really worried about abuse.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/26/22 1:48 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Nonsense.  There is being safe and then there is being,  well scaredy-cat.  My Black Jack special sits in the Packard museum with the same braided lines I put on back in the Mid 1970's. That's more than 40 years of competition.   The brakes are bled before every event and full pressure is held.  Because Elkhart Lake is so brutally hard on brakes the brakes are bled before every session. 
 Now that doesn't mean the brake cylinders won't fail.  Nor the master cylinder seals will last forever.   But the stainless steel lines?   40 years and holding.    

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/26/22 1:51 p.m.
hybridmomentspass said:

Make my own.   Just be careful the cut ends love to draw blood from your fingertips.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pnIIgpKjHTmv8Yg5iac9ULInayTdySGCCSiGDVtrIdWjlI63y6QzW19c1CcpeiYX