1 2
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/15/19 4:28 p.m.

Actually weights slightly over 2lbs. 

Car fired right up. Turned it off. Fired it up again. Strapped it down with some zip ties and I'm off to pick up kids. We'll see how long it lasts. It's clear that there is a lot of air/padding in the case and I want to take it apart to see what's inside to see if I can build one out of whatever it is. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
2/15/19 4:41 p.m.

Be interested i n how this works for you At first I saw like 21 lbs then realized there was a decimal in there and thought it must be a motorcycle battery.

Never have I given this much thought to buying a battery!

Pete

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/15/19 4:48 p.m.

Technically it is a motorcycle battery, but batteries aren't sentient so they don't know the difference. laugh

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
2/16/19 10:30 a.m.

Ive had shorai batteries in everything i own for a decade, the only one I've had fail was 7 years old of dd use summer and sitting disconnected and frozen all winter. They are phenomenal batteries. 

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/16/19 11:22 a.m.
NOHOME said:

This beauty looks like it will fit where I need it to the 6" height limit is the challenge for this application.

The next question is the battery cable...the factory Miata cable is appealing because it is there, paid for and it will reach where it needs to reach at the back of the car. At $5 a foot for 1 gauge plus the fun to fabricate a new one,  it is appealing to use. But it sure looks wimpy to my eyes. Thoughts?

Pete

That's what I have in the RX7 and it starts the 5.7 reliably, even after sitting for weeks or months. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
2/16/19 11:24 a.m.

In reply to Carbon :

Had to check your profile to see where you live cause when I Googled Shorai battery, North America was not in the cards for suppliers. Don't think Canada is going to do any better.

All, found a lead acid that I think will work. For vintage Mustangs and is low enough (6") to clear the main obstacle.

twowheeled
twowheeled New Reader
2/16/19 8:02 p.m.

try something like this for a DIY, I've seen a few motorcycle guys who have built their own using 3d printed plastic casing with some integrated tabs, think two halves clamped together with threaded rod. As far as I know braille uses these internally, as do shorai and most. I was using a 16 cell battery in my miata daily driver, but heat kills them. It had plenty of capacity, I tested it for 35 starts in a row before it died. But a few times parking a heat soaked car in 95 degree heat destroyed them, cells swelled up. If I were to try it again I would build an insulated battery box or trunk relocate. 

http://a123batteries.com/online-store/

http://www.a123systems.com/automotive/products/cells/

jeffpdesign
jeffpdesign New Reader
3/5/19 11:02 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

And what do you need for CCA? These sorts of things exist for much less. 300CCA for $99

I bought this tiny 2 lb battery a few weeks ago for my Mazda RX-8 autocross car. Used it this past weekend with temps between 20-40 degrees starting the car maybe 20 times each of the two event days without fuss. Cranked consistently and fast. I do disconnect it when I leave it in the garage and leave it on the specific charger for a Lithium Ion battery. So far so good!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D9vBxcV62OuGDJsikjavFy7XRT4y45JR7C2AKosilkK0f9sg2x4AKDM3IIVAAw76