grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks HalfDork
10/11/10 9:38 p.m.

this is something i do often. latest storm: not too long ago i heard someone use fiero and northstar in the same sentence and it got me thinking, that it sounds like a good combo. i know they have already been used matched up to transaxles, how easy would it be to just swap the whole caddy motor and trans into a fiero? (i doubt it but,) was a northstar ever bolted to a manual transaxle from the factory? how hard would it be to make it work via adapter plates or something? i guess one could get like... a shift kit for the auto. has anybody seen this before and can anybody post a good build log? i would love to read through it. also, how well do northstars take boost?? lol

peter
peter New Reader
10/11/10 10:59 p.m.

There was once a madman who put the Northstar in an MR2. I don't recall if it ever got -really- running, but he came close a number of times before pulling it and going with a different body or engine.

It's a very long and well-documented build, somewhere on the interwebs.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks HalfDork
10/11/10 11:24 p.m.

link plz

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/11/10 11:45 p.m.

http://www.v8mr2.com/

http://www.mv8r.com/

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
10/12/10 7:21 a.m.

There is a N Fiero I see at the local Cars&Coffee events. There is a kit/directions on the internet iirc. Pretty much a bolt in using factory parts thanks to GM standardizing everything in those years. It had the automatic, no FWD N Caddy had a manual. A pushrod 3.7 or supercharged 3.8 is a better swap from what I've heard. Or even a turbo ecotech. Someday I hope to find out for myself.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks HalfDork
10/12/10 9:50 a.m.

3.8, hmmm

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
10/12/10 11:00 a.m.

Apparently if you drill one or two extra holes in the bellhousing, a Northstar will bolt up to a 5-speed GM FWD V6 transmission.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
10/12/10 11:22 a.m.

I've seen several Fieros with a Northstar in it. There is a company here in Huntsville, AL that does that mod. Also seen a Fiero with a Northstar in it competing in hillclimbs. Last weekend I saw that car again at Crow Mountain but was told in no longer has the Northstar in it but wasn't told what V8 it has in it now. Although I'm sure it is a bigger one listening to it, seeing it run and looking at the very wide tires it now has one it.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/12/10 11:43 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: Apparently if you drill one or two extra holes in the bellhousing, a Northstar will bolt up to a 5-speed GM FWD V6 transmission.

It also supposedly bolts up to the 6spd manual found in the G6.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks HalfDork
10/12/10 3:56 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
MadScientistMatt wrote: Apparently if you drill one or two extra holes in the bellhousing, a Northstar will bolt up to a 5-speed GM FWD V6 transmission.
It also supposedly bolts up to the 6spd manual found in the G6.

now thats whats up

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q7W9FDXb4w4vyfVYT3gOwe2ERNErLNaMT3oNAPOf9FM2sEJFLzrTcZTMgsR0TcTU