dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/2/16 8:58 p.m.

I scavenged this Porsche GT3 cup front rotor from a garbage can at Sebring. I want to clean it up and hang it on the wall in the garage. What would be the best way to clean it up? And, once I do, should I spray it with some clear polish or something to keep it from rusting?

chiodos
chiodos Dork
4/2/16 9:01 p.m.

CLR and clear coat spray paint

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/3/16 2:53 a.m.

As long as it's clean, clear coat will stick and protect it from rusting. You just have to decide how glossy you want it and pick the clear coat accordingly. I did this with a rotary engines rotar after at lot of soaking in simple green (obviously a lot oiler then a brake rotor) and it worked out great.

gjz30075
gjz30075 HalfDork
4/3/16 5:05 a.m.

Why not just have a machine shop do a cut on it? It'll even out the wear area and get rid of the rust. Then clear coat it

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
4/3/16 7:50 a.m.

Evaporust 1st Don't machine it will to smooth you want the lines from use right? Wash with water and dawn, bake in oven then clear with a satin clear.

I'd hit Michael's or other craft store /rockler hardware for a clock kit.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
4/3/16 7:59 a.m.

engrave the hat w/ Sebring 2016 or sumthin' anyway

dyintorace
4/3/16 8:44 a.m.

Agreed that I don't want to remove the wear. But I do want to remove the rust. Could I hit it with a wire wheel? Abrasive enough to knock off the rust but preserve the scars?

Why bake it in an oven?

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
4/3/16 8:48 a.m.

Any abrasive will remove some of the patina. I would use only a chemical rust remover. Alternatively you can use a used brake pad and "sand" away the rust. Thus preserving the patina as best you can and remove most of the rust.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
4/3/16 8:49 a.m.

From where it's rusting - if you just install it in your GT3 cup car then do a couple quick stops it should take care of most of it.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
4/3/16 9:09 a.m.

The rust will go away if you soak it in a bath of white vinegar.

dyintorace
4/3/16 9:21 a.m.
Huckleberry wrote: From where it's rusting - if you just install it in your GT3 cup car then do a couple quick stops it should take care of most of it.

LOL. Of course!

DeadSkunk wrote: The rust will go away if you soak it in a bath of white vinegar.

I'll try that first. I have a jug out in the laundry room for soaking purposes already.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
4/3/16 9:24 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: The rust will go away if you soak it in a bath of white vinegar.

X2 on the vinegar trick. That stuff works great!

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/3/16 9:59 a.m.

I just did a coat of wax on some camshafts I used for an engine table legs and they haven't rusted in a couple of years. The wax shouldn't wear off since it isn't exposed to the elements.

jere
jere HalfDork
4/3/16 10:28 a.m.

I have used vinegar and salt in combination it works faster than just vinegar alone. Just spray it down good with fresh water afterwards and dry. When dry wipe it down with vegatable shortening and bake it like you are seasoning a cast iron pan.

You can use the left over ingredients add thinly sliced potatoes and make some salt+vinegar+asbestos kettle chips

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
4/3/16 10:30 a.m.

That's a super cool score! Guess I am going to have to go dumpster diving in the pits now!!

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
4/3/16 1:58 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: Why bake it in an oven?

Dry it and keep it from flash rusting in the vent holes plus it will warm it and cure the clear faster if it's warm not hot when sprayed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wRL4VxHm06Nh660o4I0PrrrLPPh91oNa1O7ymBYgVFVSmt2PGLOpxqRMgFfSYkVa