stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/14/12 9:17 a.m.
feature_image

Only 10 degrees?

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/14/12 9:33 a.m.

Off the top of my head, I believe I'm running more timing in my Miata. Geoff said he set it at 10 degrees. I'll get more info on why for you guys.

David S. Wallens
12/14/12 10:00 a.m.

Now that our Sunburst Yellow 1992 Mazda Miata is a runner, we have a few details to tend to—like the brakes.

Rennie came up to visit, and he brought some gifts: fresh brake rotors and pads. We already had some Wilwood fluid on hand. We’ll add some braided lines and fit competition pads before our first track event, but we figure that the brakes are ready for some autocross now at least.

Our buddy Geoff Thompson, who also knows Miatas, stopped by to check on things; he set the ignition timing: 10 degrees BTDC.

We also reattached the hood and quickly buffed out the paint. Our $500 Miata is ready for its first outing: a local SCCA autocross.

sources

CRC Industries

Good-Win Racing

Red Line Oil

Redline Performance

Sports Car Club of America

More Miatas than you can shake a stickshift at. Subscribe to Grassroots Motorsports now.
sfisher71
sfisher71 New Reader
12/14/12 1:43 p.m.

10 is stock timing. 12 gives a little more throttle response and is still good with 87 octane if you care -- I've been running that in my '96 since I bought it. Keith Tanner's book recommends 14 BTDC, but also says that much advance requires higher octane. Mine is still my daily driver so I'm keeping it safe and cheap on regular gas. And anyway, clearly there is a test-and-tune article in the future, with graphs and charts and arrows on the back!

David S. Wallens
12/14/12 4:50 p.m.

A little more info: Since we had things all torn apart, Geoff just set it back to stock. I have to say, that a totally stock Miata is a nice thing. Look for more updates very soon.

David S. Wallens
12/14/12 4:51 p.m.

And glad to see some extra interest in this one.

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
12/18/12 7:18 p.m.

i will say that I have seen a couple MPG bump when running more timing (with high test to avoid knock). Generally, the math has said that I am paying within fractions of a penny per mile, and as fuel costs go up, but the difference between regular and premium stays the same (generally $0.30 around here), the high test becomes cheaper (and more power is better, even if it's only a few).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Rza7qeIsXO1Or6bCRnifvkIT6NZjXDg9221b9DU0FtY2jz6ks748mCdwSfbIWU1G