1 2
WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
1/13/16 1:23 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: In reply to WildScotsRacing: You talking about these rotors? Why those in particular? I like the idea of the Stoptech pads and centric rotors since I can get all of them through Rock Auto. I've heard a few disparaging comments on some forums about the pads on track, but drivers and car setup make such a difference on brake wear that I sort of take it with a grain of salt.

Very well made, very consistent in quality and the performance greatly exceeds the price point. Lots of club racing winners on the 120 Series rotors.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/13/16 2:40 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
wbjones wrote:
alfadriver wrote: I'll be a dissenter and point out that DOT5 works really well on systems that were not designed for it. I ran it for years on my Alfa- great stuff. The only issue I ever had was changing to and from it. The supplied ran out, and I moved to ATE Super Blue, which does work well in Ate brakes. BTW, don't over think it, or fear it. You'll know when your brakes are going- slow down, get off the track, and don't ride the brakes- then you can address the issue.
DOT5 is different from DOT5.1 and as far as I know DOT5 isn't compatible with most existing systems out there
It isn't- DOT5 is silicon based. Makes a mess if you mix them. But it worked great in my Alfa. Compatible is relative- it would not have been an option had it destroyed the materials in the systems. It does work, and it's not hygrosopic. Plus- it does not strip paint- which is nice if you are clumsy.

so it really won't work in a normal production vehicle ... right ? since you'd have to totally drain and clean the OEM system before using DOT5 ... so it really wouldn't be a good thing to recommend to someone fixing to do their first track day ... right ?

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
1/13/16 4:10 p.m.

It's kinda pricey, but I think this is the best solution for single person bleeding. I use this tool professionally and in my own garage. If you can swing the expense it's really worth it. I've been using this one for at least 10 years.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/13/16 6:17 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

You say that as if it's a problem. A flush with fresh fluid and a change to DOT5 isn't as far apart as you think.

And I'm not saying that he should change to DOT5. I'm saying to don't stress about it too much- I used stock Alfa pads and clean fluid more than once and never had a problem at the track. I preferred the Porterfield pads, and preferred ATE Super Blue. But it's not something that is going to make or break a day as long as they are fresh, new, and decent.

It's more important to pay attention to the brakes on the track- once they start to fade, get off and figure out why.

And is it that hard to find someone to help bleed the brakes?

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/13/16 6:22 p.m.

here at home, for me it is Mom's 91 and ain't no way she can get in and out of the race seats in the CRX

which is why I use the gravity method

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
1/13/16 7:32 p.m.

I had a similar thread going, you might enjoy the read: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/first-track-day-freaking-out/105026/page1/

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
agXZedD5tcmj8lMTHDxcUfCl8ev8hS9D6cbAMdzLRqoUtUMOoKixCL1MZGZo0P2s