Miles Wilson
Miles Wilson Reader Services
2/11/19 12:43 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/k479hwKTAro

This is Brian Goodwin of Good-Win racing driving the 2.5-swapped Miata project we built in a day, at a local autocross. The entire swap was done while visiting their headquarters in San Diego.

Brian managed to bring out the MX-5's potential and landed the fastest time of the day for any car in the field with doors. Impressive!

Watch more videos

Shaun
Shaun Dork
2/11/19 3:12 p.m.

The suspension sure works!!

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
2/11/19 6:46 p.m.

Hands so smooth, so gentle.  Great lines.  Love it. 

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
2/11/19 8:43 p.m.

Damn that’s a fast course!

Car seems great!

tux424
tux424 New Reader
2/11/19 9:30 p.m.

What class does the 2.5 put the NC in?

GoodwinRacing
GoodwinRacing
2/13/19 8:29 p.m.

In reply to tux424 :

SSM

GoodwinRacing
GoodwinRacing New Reader
2/13/19 8:30 p.m.

Miata remains the answer! wink

Such a fun project, thanks for the fun Gents!

Build thread CLICK HERE.

GoodwinRacing
GoodwinRacing New Reader
2/14/19 7:05 a.m.

Project Picture

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/14/19 7:23 a.m.

Weirdly this whole set of articles/builds has me searching for a B2300/Ranger to swap a 2.5 into and get the VVT working. I'm not well. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/14/19 8:36 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Weirdly this whole set of articles/builds has me searching for a B2300/Ranger to swap a 2.5 into and get the VVT working. I'm not well. 

what about a dead rx-8? I've heard that the nc front subframe basically bolts in... I would do this except I'd much rather just have the NC.

I thought mofo was building one for the challenge before/while he bought and sold svrex's challenge rx8?

Robbie
2/14/19 8:38 a.m.

while watching the video, I was like: "hey - I know this parking lot, it's where roadkill "raced" mightycarmods!"

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/14/19 8:50 a.m.

Building a hot 2.5 to drop in an NC is the only thing that tempts me as much as an ND2.

mazdeuce - Seth
2/14/19 9:34 a.m.

I wonder how hairy the wiring would be with the 2.5 in an RX8. That's a super interesting combo considering how cheap they are and how cheap the 2.5 is. 

Robbie
2/14/19 10:55 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Only one way to find out!

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/14/19 10:56 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I wonder how hairy the wiring would be with the 2.5 in an RX8. That's a super interesting combo considering how cheap they are and how cheap the 2.5 is. 

I've contemplated that one a good bit too. 

Robbie
2/14/19 11:03 a.m.

just looked: RX8 is 2 inches wider and has a wheelbase OVER A FOOT (like 15 inches) longer than the NC. Not to mention about 500 lbs heavier in stock trim. You do get a hardtop, back seats, and really cool doors however. 

And the 2.5 would be down a few HP from the stock renesis. 

I think if you want to re-motor a broken RX8, the right answer is still probably LS-something.

back to dreaming of a 2.5 NC for me

mazdeuce - Seth
2/14/19 12:31 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

It mostly depends on how related the wiring and the non-engine electrical side of it is. If you could do something like a NC computer that would talk to the gauges and HVAC and ABS in the NC then it would be a very attractive swap. And yes, slower than an LS swap, but sometimes you need to dream a medium sized dream. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
2/14/19 12:56 p.m.

I'm still good with the idea of a 2.5 Rx8. It wouldnt be any slower than a 2.5 Mazda3 which is actually sort of fast for what it is, but it falls under different expectations. It would feel better than an FR-S basically all the time, even if it might be a little slower in reality. But then there's boost..

_
_ Reader
2/14/19 1:08 p.m.

That is a driver that is thinking several corners ahead. Especially apperent in that beginning high speed section. Bravo sir. 

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/14/19 1:10 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

This is a 2.5 from a fusion. There's about a 30% chance it'll be at the challenge. If I can make it, youre welcome to give it a spin of course. It will be Gastropod eligible. Had to ditch the vvt because the stock ecu wouldn't be able to make sense of the vvt cam trigger teeth, otherwise I was going to try to trigger the vvt crudely with the variable intake length circuit. I'm only stock wiring and stock parts reassembly from having it running, but my new to me dd needs some deferred maintenance adressed first.

mazdeuce - Seth
2/14/19 1:44 p.m.

In reply to bluej :

Yeaaaaaa, I'm going to need to pick your brain about this one. And drive it. And stuff. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/19 2:14 p.m.
Robbie said:

just looked: RX8 is 2 inches wider and has a wheelbase OVER A FOOT (like 15 inches) longer than the NC. Not to mention about 500 lbs heavier in stock trim. You do get a hardtop, back seats, and really cool doors however. 

And the 2.5 would be down a few HP from the stock renesis. 

I think if you want to re-motor a broken RX8, the right answer is still probably LS-something.

back to dreaming of a 2.5 NC for me

Nothing a little boost could not solve.  

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/14/19 2:37 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to bluej :

Yeaaaaaa, I'm going to need to pick your brain about this one. And drive it. And stuff. 

I really should start a build thread for at least one of my vehicles, too. Long story short, the 2.5 makes a ton of sense for repowering a $500 B2300 with a blown 2.3, especially if you're looking for it to be just a great little truck first, and hobby vehicle second. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I8qZLIIdunkD4QsLvpfR0LbnhkqC47EdVoRS0aESN10gaye6S0To6SjDswWpanzo