1 2
iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
8/16/19 5:56 p.m.

Nascar racing on this high banked 1/2 mile oval.  

Xfinity tonite and Cup tomorrow.

Always fun to watch.

Will
Will UltraDork
8/16/19 6:41 p.m.

Odds of getting through this thread without TRASCHCAR, NASCRAP, WWF, skittles in a toilet bowl etc. trolling?

Because all of those jokes are exceedingly clever and just as fresh every time.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
8/16/19 6:51 p.m.

In reply to Will :

lol.  Irony of Ironies NASCAR was the first professional sports series I stop following.  Part of it was having to work Sundays but I did stop enjoying it.

Now it's hard for me to follow because I still have to work Sundays but I also don't watch TV again each year until LSUs football season kicks off and that's all I watch except the occasional other college game and some college baseball if I signed up for a cable package.

So if it's on regular TV tomorrow night I'll give it a whirl even though there isn't a single driver other than Jr that I've liked since who knows when.

I just find it hard to watch sissy boys get into fake fights.  Growing up in Ireland and I'm sure the South is kinda similar you either fought real or you held your temper.

How is the racing nowadays?  The Craven/Busch Darlington finish was one of the best ever.  smiley

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/16/19 7:46 p.m.

Sure glad you hate racing.

Love Bristol.  Trucks, cars, bicycles, skateboards, rolling trash cans...

Best race track and event in the world, I will suggest.

Really.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/19 7:49 p.m.

I thought this thread was going to be about the Chrysler-engined English ultraluxury cars.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
8/16/19 8:00 p.m.

I went camping there back in the late 90s and I could hear it from 12 miles away, I walked into the speedway without earplugs and I had to go to the bathroom to get toilet paper for my ears Thunder Valley indeed. They also have a Dragstrip, I can't imagine that but I want to see it

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
8/16/19 8:19 p.m.

huh? What I said earlier. no

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/16/19 8:30 p.m.

NASCAR has it's issues, but the Bristol night race is always a great show.

Very glad Dale Jr. and his family made it out of that plane crash safely, by the way. Scary situation!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/16/19 8:59 p.m.

Justin Allgair cannot buy an ounce of luck this year.  Tyler Reddick.is a hell of a racer, but I just really like Justin.

Good race tonight.  Tomorrow will be even better.

cdeforrest
cdeforrest Reader
8/16/19 9:14 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Same. 

Sadly it's this Bristol:

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/17/19 6:34 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Sure glad you hate racing.

Love Bristol.  Trucks, cars, bicycles, skateboards, rolling trash cans...

Best race track and event in the world, I will suggest.

Really.

I wouldn’t go quite that far, but yeah, Bristol is freaking cool. I was there with my Dad & bros that year that it snowed.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
8/17/19 9:45 a.m.

It’s a fun time for the speedway in lights time around Christmas as you actually get to drive on the track. That banking is steep.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/17/19 9:48 a.m.
Knurled. said:

I thought this thread was going to be about the Chrysler-engined English ultraluxury cars.

I thought this was going to be about British aircraft.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
8/17/19 9:12 p.m.

Went to Bristol one time about 7 or 8 years ago.  IIRC it was right after they repaved it.  Might have been 10 years ago.  Not exactly sure.

Camping at Bristol was a hoot.  Apparently the campground was "bout a mile" from the race track, as while we were walking to the track from the campground, every time we passed someone and asked them how much further to the track, they told us, "bout a mile".  For the whole walk.

I recall drinking heavily the night before the race.  Like, a suitcase.  In my defense, however, I believe they were Natty Lights or some such thing.  So, really, I drank a case of seltzer water and a couple of shots of vodka. 

Or was that the night after the race?

The race was hot, and loud.  There was a lot of action, but it was mostly just the cars going 130 miles per hour or whatever speed they were doing, around in circles, for a few hours.  Not that crashes are the hallmark of a good race, but there wasn't even a yellow flag, once.  At one point me and my friend went down to the track level and took off our hearing protection for a few seconds.  Holy carp.  Deafening.  

It was somewhat bizarre being in a huge crowd of people, all of whom were for all intents and purposes, deaf.  We quickly developed a system of gestures to denote necessary bodily functions (had to pee, need a beer) and facial expressions.  

To sum it up:  Lots of drinking, lots of walking, lots of noise, and a bunch of fast cars driving fast for a few hours.  I've had better weekends, but I'm glad I went.  

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/19 9:34 p.m.

I’m really hoping DiBenedetto can hold on.  I also learned what Peroneys disease is. Thanks NASCAR.

slowbird
slowbird Reader
8/17/19 9:51 p.m.

Berking Hamlin.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/19 10:10 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

That was disappointing:(

slowbird
slowbird Reader
8/17/19 10:29 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

Yeah. Matt was more graceful in defeat than I would've been. I'd be throwing my helmet at Newman for blocking me into the wall and messing up the left front fender.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/17/19 11:21 p.m.

I think it's very telling about the kind of guy Matt is, when the first thing out of the winners mouth is an apology for having to beat him.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
8/18/19 9:04 a.m.

I think it was retired NASCAR driver Mark Martin who said “Racing at Bristol is like flying fighter jets in a gymnasium”.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/18/19 9:07 a.m.

In reply to Will :

Was expecting an altogether different thread

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/18/19 9:08 a.m.

When the leaders can almost lap the entire field, the racing is actually real.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
8/18/19 9:10 a.m.

I don’t hate nascar, but I really don’t actually much care for watching racing, period. It’s fun to be around race cars, or work on or drive them, but not much of a fan of watching the race in general. Highlights are always fun to watch but I always want to go wander the pits and talk to people. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/18/19 9:43 a.m.
slowbird said:

In reply to Wally :

Yeah. Matt was more graceful in defeat than I would've been. I'd be throwing my helmet at Newman for blocking me into the wall and messing up the left front fender.

As the announcers said, Matt gained a lot of fans after that performance, and the interview that followed. I'll be rooting for him.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
8/18/19 9:53 a.m.

Apropos of very little, I grew up in Bristol.  Never went to a race even though my Dad listened to NASCAR races on the radio in the 70s.  Now I'd very much like to go to one of the SCCA autocrosses held in the track parking lot, but it's a little too far to drive from Colorado.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6716yBTUZGw3wC4PELQ2nucRNqXwGBzfxmkB11Ar3htWrYHQE584OgRbbhD0zVX1