1 ... 3 4 5
John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/19/17 8:49 p.m.

Spec-f`ing-tacular!

In a tough class in this "year or the pickup truck" at The Challenge, you could be killing it!

crisd
crisd New Reader
7/18/17 9:10 a.m.

Update 18 July 2017: Color test. I ordered some CRC paint for cheap through Amazon and tested it out. Two of the cans are completely not usable as a top coat, one was not glossy enough and had a hint more orange in it, only one was acceptable, Swift Red. But, as I learned... it would cost a fortune painting it all by can. It's not the way to go. The hood is Osha Red and the air dam is Swift Red.

crisd
crisd New Reader
7/18/17 9:16 p.m.

Anyone have the secret to getting paint super cheap?

Pattyo
Pattyo New Reader
7/18/17 10:40 p.m.

Home Depot sells rustoleum by the gallon. There is a two stage paint that I have used called Autobahn. It's $65 a gallon plus clear.

simon_C
simon_C New Reader
7/19/17 12:28 a.m.

Want cheap paint? http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/diy/products/finishes/brightside-polyurethane.aspx this stuff. Buy a gallon of it, thin it out, and roll it on. It self-levels and comes out smooth. Durable as hell. Looks pro.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
7/19/17 5:38 a.m.

I just painted the miata with a quart of rustoleum, thinned out with a quart of mineral spirits, with some hardener from amazon added.

turned out pretty good!

crisd
crisd New Reader
7/19/17 12:00 p.m.

Thanks for the tips

crisd
crisd New Reader
9/23/17 5:46 p.m.

So there is slim to no chance that I'll make it this year, I have too many military obligations I must deal with right now. Unless an awesome group of guys want to come and do a super build weekend to finish this sucker off, LOL. But I did get some progress done today, I got some leather seats from the back seat of a scrapped out Lexus installed :-)

Looking pretty good! 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
9/23/17 9:14 p.m.

Where are you located. Might be able to help with a weekend thrash session.  We did it at Robbies in Chicago recently. I'd love to see it at this year's Challenge.

crisd
crisd New Reader
9/23/17 9:34 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Thanks for the offer but I'm pretty far from you, I'm in Fayetteville, NC. (One hour south of Raleigh).

But... I am on the way to Florida if you want to stop by on the way to the Challenge!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/23/17 9:39 p.m.

Hmm....

How much needs done? Im the full on thrash mode, but one more time into the breach won't kill me.

crisd
crisd New Reader
9/24/17 9:53 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Well the depends on how you look at it, lol. To show up... or to place well? One is a lot, the othet is way too much. To get it running and just be there, I need to connect the radiator hoses to the motor (bend so tubing); connect the break lines and bleed the system; finish wiring up the fuel injection and sensors; make a bracket to hold the steering column solid; make brackets to hold the front suspension at the correct angle; change all fluids; ... that is just off the top if my head.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/24/17 10:57 a.m.

Hmmm......

If you can organize a thrash, ill do my best to attend.  Theres a few of us in the area.

crisd
crisd New Reader
10/13/17 3:46 p.m.

Well... it looks like 2018 for me. I just can't squeeze in 10 pounds of time commitment into a 5 pound bucket of available time.

I don't even have time to drive down and watch :-(

FML.

crisd
crisd New Reader
3/7/18 8:59 p.m.

... finally back to work on the never ending project truck! Brake lines being installed...eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=7ca78939c9fd2ef591db0a4316271a36&oe=5B4ADC2B

crisd
crisd New Reader
3/7/18 9:08 p.m.

used a motorcycle license plate holder that was sitting in a box of spare crap as my bracket to hold the throttle bell crank... it only sat in the box for about 7 years but see... never throw anything away you never know when you're going to use it!

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e14PqP4w7dOh9Pt2nj6cAJgiHptr62xBWPFwPB4sORCLtd0aZOWjqx4IwlAbpMDi