1 2
HoserRacing
HoserRacing New Reader
12/9/08 8:28 p.m.

Thought this would be up some of ya'll's alley, $2000 drag race competition with a claim rule.
http://www.streetcarforums.com/showthread.php?p=1666997&posted=1#post1666997

Just a drag competition, but let's see what some of you nuts can do

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/10/08 12:03 p.m.

They're talking 1/8 mile, right?

If they are claiming they can build a 6 second 1/4 miler under $2K, I call BS.

They don't have any rules?? Safety, NHRA, none??

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
12/10/08 12:04 p.m.

Calling Andy Nelson...

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/10/08 12:07 p.m.

So, if it is 1/8 mile (and IF they can actually run 6's), then the competition level is approximately equivalent to Andy Nelson. (10's in the 1/4 would be about the same as 6's in the 1/8th).

Tell 'em we've already got a guy whose built a dozen or more NHRA legal cars under budget that run that fast.

GRM rocks!

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/10/08 12:08 p.m.

Somebody in that thread claims 5's. Gotta be the 1/8th, but I still call BS. (That would be 8's in the 1/4)

aircooled
aircooled Dork
12/10/08 12:39 p.m.

Hydrogen peroxide rockets can be made pretty cheaply...

Josh
Josh Reader
12/10/08 1:02 p.m.

I gotta say, I'm a little sick to my stomach after googling the term "zipperhead" trying to figure out what they were talking about in that thread. I thought it was a type of cylinder head or something. I'm glad we don't see stuff like that around here very often.

HoserRacing
HoserRacing New Reader
12/10/08 1:57 p.m.

1/8th mile track. Also, 6.99 counts as 6's, doesn't take as much to do that as 6.00 There will be the track tech inspection that will have to be passed, BTW, I think the guy claiming 5's is full of crap, but, that's just my...well, and a few others, opinion. I'm really thinking we're going to be looking more at 7's than 6's. When some of the guys started saying it couldn't be done, I pointed them here. I figured this would be right up quite a few alleys around here. Everyone was moaning about rules, so we decided we'd just do a claim rule to make sure no one went over budget, and if they do, they risk losing it at the end of the competition to someone with $2k. There are a couple of threads on it now, join in the fun! Would love to see a Yugo up there

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/10/08 3:33 p.m.

Location? I skimmed the other post but didn't see it right away.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/10/08 4:04 p.m.

My suggestion would be to have a $3k claim rule even if the budget is $2k. I would really hate to build a car with $2k worth of parts on it and not get anything for my labor.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/10/08 4:53 p.m.

So that is like the $200X challenge, sans the autox and concourse? Seems to me like that means some of you guys could build some brutally fast cars considering that you don't need to spend any money on handling parts, just go fast bits.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/10/08 6:01 p.m.
HoserRacing wrote: 1/8th mile track. Also, 6.99 counts as 6's, doesn't take as much to do that as 6.00 There will be the track tech inspection that will have to be passed, BTW, I think the guy claiming 5's is full of crap, but, that's just my...well, and a few others, opinion. I'm really thinking we're going to be looking more at 7's than 6's. When some of the guys started saying it couldn't be done, I pointed them here. I figured this would be right up quite a few alleys around here. Everyone was moaning about rules, so we decided we'd just do a claim rule to make sure no one went over budget, and if they do, they risk losing it at the end of the competition to someone with $2k. There are a couple of threads on it now, join in the fun! Would love to see a Yugo up there

If the N* Yugo were further along....

I agree on the times. I'd place a wager that no more than 1 team will break into the 6's, and that no one will break a 6.80.

Wheels777 would crush them. The West Side boys could probably have a good chance at an overall win, if they chose to play.

Hey, somebody talk them into bringing the Colt. They were ready to retire it anyway. Take the handling stuff out of the budget to swap for a few more ponies and a good set of slicks. I'd bet they'd run 6.70's.

HoserRacing
HoserRacing New Reader
12/10/08 8:20 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: Location? I skimmed the other post but didn't see it right away.

Sorry, Chattanooga, TN, Brainerd Optimist Dragstrip most likely, 1/8 mile track.

HoserRacing
HoserRacing New Reader
12/10/08 8:24 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: My suggestion would be to have a $3k claim rule even if the budget is $2k. I would really hate to build a car with $2k worth of parts on it and not get anything for my labor.

I threw that out there, but most of the people felt that with a $3k claim, people would be busting the $2k budget, some people just have to win even if it means cheating. I figured quite a few people on here would most likely be able to do this for quite a bit under the $2k since you don't have to worry about looks or autocrosses

HoserRacing
HoserRacing New Reader
12/10/08 8:25 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: So that is like the $200X challenge, sans the autox and concourse? Seems to me like that means some of you guys could build some brutally fast cars considering that you don't need to spend any money on handling parts, just go fast bits.

That's what I was thinking, don't have to worry about looks either.

HoserRacing
HoserRacing New Reader
12/10/08 8:27 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
HoserRacing wrote: 1/8th mile track. Also, 6.99 counts as 6's, doesn't take as much to do that as 6.00 There will be the track tech inspection that will have to be passed, BTW, I think the guy claiming 5's is full of crap, but, that's just my...well, and a few others, opinion. I'm really thinking we're going to be looking more at 7's than 6's. When some of the guys started saying it couldn't be done, I pointed them here. I figured this would be right up quite a few alleys around here. Everyone was moaning about rules, so we decided we'd just do a claim rule to make sure no one went over budget, and if they do, they risk losing it at the end of the competition to someone with $2k. There are a couple of threads on it now, join in the fun! Would love to see a Yugo up there
If the N* Yugo were further along.... I agree on the times. I'd place a wager that no more than 1 team will break into the 6's, and that no one will break a 6.80. Wheels777 would crush them. The West Side boys could probably have a good chance at an overall win, if they chose to play. Hey, somebody talk them into bringing the Colt. They were ready to retire it anyway. Take the handling stuff out of the budget to swap for a few more ponies and a good set of slicks. I'd bet they'd run 6.70's.

I hope they come out, they posted up in the thread, I'd love to see some GRM'ers there.

byron12
byron12 New Reader
12/10/08 9:41 p.m.
HoserRacing wrote:
dyintorace wrote: Location? I skimmed the other post but didn't see it right away.
Sorry, Chattanooga, TN, Brainerd Optimist Dragstrip most likely, 1/8 mile track.

When will this happen. I live here and have been to this dragstrip a few times.

HoserRacing
HoserRacing New Reader
12/10/08 9:54 p.m.

We're looking at Feb./Mar. right now.

byron12
byron12 New Reader
12/10/08 10:12 p.m.

I will be there this sounds fun unlikely that I will be a competitor though. BTW I am pretty sure you gave me a ride in you v8 miata at an autocross at chattanooga state. That was awesome....:D

11s42k
11s42k New Reader
12/10/08 10:28 p.m.

Hmmm...We have a certain yellow z-car sitting out in the snow right now missing an engine. Too bad it is so far away from here. Those trips south in February sure were fun though!!! Is Andy lying in the weeds here???

Erik

HoserRacing
HoserRacing New Reader
12/10/08 10:31 p.m.

Ironing out some safety details, if you can't get a bar in under budget, use a bolt in & you can pull it out if your car is claimed, same with seat & harness, just state before the race that that is your intention & provide a factory seat or equivalent to replace the seat you take out. Of course, I'm figuring most of the people hear are good enough to get the bar in under budget

Yep Byron, that was probably me or someone in my car. If the driver was giggling uncontrollably, that was me

924guy
924guy HalfDork
12/11/08 9:29 a.m.

one of the local events i went too some time ago had a car crushing rule.. spectators would vote on one car to be crushed during the event..that certainly kept the big spenders from going too overboard, a front end loader took care of the dirty work...and i think they even charged a dollar a vote towards charity, and actually raised a few thousand that way.. made it very even competition, and fun for all, except for the dude whos car got crushed...

HoserRacing
HoserRacing New Reader
12/11/08 10:09 a.m.

Yep, LeMons has something like that, but I figure the claim rule should be enough to keep them in check. If not, some nices rides could be bought by the other competitors!

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
12/11/08 2:27 p.m.
HoserRacing wrote:

ORRLLY!?!?!?

Damn. I'm pretty confident (considering there's no auto-x and no concours) we could build a mid-low 12 sec. (1/4 mile) car for ~$500 using E36 M3 we already have. Only problem is, if the car gets bought, we'll have to start from scratch on our $2009 car . What's the NHRA cage requirement for 1/8 mile? i.e. what number puts you in "must have a cage" territory?

Regardless, keep this thread updated, as we'll at least come out and spectate.

PS: While I'm at it, allow me to make a couple of suggestions for your consideration:

1. Tires can be the great equalizer, and no one should have to skimp on safety stuff to stay under budget. Personally, I really dig the LeMons format where tires and ALL safety items aren't included in the budget. IMO, This helps to "level the playing field" (oh god, I sound like a democrat) and most importantly, keep people safe.

2. Why not make things "interesting?" So far, I haven't seen an entry fee, and if you're going to ask all entrants to be willing to sell their cars sans-labor, why not have some incentive to bring lots of folks out with lots of cool E36 M3? 25 teams paying an entry fee of $50 = a grand prize of $1,250.

3. The way they do it at the dirt track is that the WINNER must offer his or her car up for sale for the max budget amount should he or she win. Not sure if you guys have discussed the particulars of the rules yet, but I don't think there's any sense in forcing non-winners to offer their cars up for sale.

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
12/11/08 2:47 p.m.
11s42k wrote: Hmmm...We have a certain yellow z-car sitting out in the snow right now missing an engine. Too bad it is so far away from here. Those trips south in February sure were fun though!!! Is Andy lying in the weeds here??? Erik

Ola Dude,

It's December and they plan to run in February or March. I plan to be at Maxton first week of April. So, time is very limited. I will keep an eye on it to see if rules become more simplified or realistic. It is hard to get revved up about it when there is still a debate as to whether a cracked windshield is acceptable.

A $2000 drag race with a claim rule would be fun. Although I think that claimers should be limited to real competitors - ie top half of the field only. I would love to do it in a NA class.

As for me, time will tell, but I would rather put time into building a quality project and race it at the GRM Challenge, instead of throwing a NOS plate onto a granade. Investing time with the family into something we want to own and are proud of is why the Challenge is so awesome. There are 50 plus other teams to share it with and who understand what it is like to do your best with very limited resources.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QN8b6N9RIOSUa695raTsZwKWEMklxVBDrY7wilGNUasVvidWqPnrdZUVwLVsMT60