1 2 3 4
pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/4/19 9:09 a.m.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/04/buick-regal-discontinued/

Not surprised, especially given that they are now paying PSA/FCA to build them and slap a Buick badge on. That said, if you were eyeing one of these, there might be some great discounts soon...

At the end of the day it does feel weird that I grew up associating Buick with sedans and now Buick does not even make a sedan anymore.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
12/4/19 9:11 a.m.

'tis the 'Murican way.  Can't be caught dead in a sedan, let along a....gasp...wagon.  If it's not an SUV, you're not cool. 

Waiting for the debut of the Corvette-dozer...

NickD
NickD PowerDork
12/4/19 9:41 a.m.

I hate the way the car market is going. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/4/19 9:44 a.m.

The automakers are simply responding to the market. Cars have changed shape before. Heck, this is more of a return to their initial form.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/4/19 9:45 a.m.

News flash, the sun will rise tomorrow morning.

TJL
TJL HalfDork
12/4/19 10:01 a.m.

I had a newer buick regal a few years ago as a rental. It was pretty cool. Nothing about it was "buick" though. Smaller sedan with a sporty 2.0 turbo.  And of course it wasnt made by them, just a re-badge.  it had enough power to be fun. Got to 110-115 pretty easy but really struggled past that. I think 122mph was tops and it was out of steam. 

im sure there is no shortage of other vehicles to fill the gaps. 

jde
jde HalfDork
12/4/19 10:12 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The automakers are simply responding to the market. Cars have changed shape before. Heck, this is more of a return to their initial form.

...if only OEMs would listen to the world's foremost product planning experts, internet commenters that don't buy new vehicles! ;-)

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/4/19 10:22 a.m.

I suppose I'm as guilty as anyone, since I bought a new car in that price range earlier this year. I like the TourX a lot, but that 4-banger just wasn't enough for me. I'd rather have had a wagon than my sedan (Fusion), but I wasn't going to give up that much performance to get it.

Plus, and I freely admit that this is my own personal, stupid bias, but I still think of Buicks as "Old man cars".

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/4/19 10:25 a.m.

Wait, they still make Buicks?!?

Keith Tanner
12/4/19 10:28 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

I suppose I'm as guilty as anyone, since I bought a new car in that price range earlier this year. I like the TourX a lot, but that 4-banger just wasn't enough for me. I'd rather have had a wagon than my sedan (Fusion), but I wasn't going to give up that much performance to get it.

Plus, and I freely admit that this is my own personal, stupid bias, but I still think of Buicks as "Old man cars".

You and everyone else. Buick's current advertising is basically aimed right at that mindset. Or more accurately, that fact - CarMax says that their average Buick customer is 45.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
12/4/19 10:38 a.m.
jde said:
Keith Tanner said:

...if only OEMs would listen to the world's foremost product planning experts, internet commenters that don't buy new vehicles! ;-)

I understand we're the outliers, still doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. I can't afford new cars, personally. But it's going to suck down the road, when all the used options are just SUVs as well.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/4/19 10:44 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

You and everyone else. Buick's current advertising is basically aimed right at that mindset. Or more accurately, that fact - CarMax says that their average Buick customer is 45.

Bloody youngsters, get off my lawn you damn whipper snappers.  I like(d) the TourX, but my V60 Polestar is the same thing but with added POWAAAAA

NickD
NickD PowerDork
12/4/19 10:49 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Or more accurately, that fact - CarMax says that their average Buick customer is 45.

Ironically, that's still lower than the average buyer age of Toyota's "youth" division. The average Scion buyer age was 49.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
12/4/19 10:56 a.m.

I checked out a TourX recently and it's just not that nice. It was ok but.. nothing more, really. 

Keith Tanner
12/4/19 10:56 a.m.

And the NC Miata had older buyers than any other vehicle in Mazda's fleet.

My numbers were from a CarMax article. Scion wasn't even on the list. These are secondary buyers, not the primary ones.

jde
jde HalfDork
12/4/19 11:14 a.m.
NickD said:
jde said:
Keith Tanner said:

I understand we're the outliers, still doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. I can't afford new cars, personally. But it's going to suck down the road, when all the used options are just SUVs as well.

Being unhappy isn't going to change anything, the OEMs aren't beholden to you.  They've already made their money.  I don't buy new either, but it is what it is.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
12/4/19 11:40 a.m.

This is why I have to save all the junk Fords from the 90s...because the cars from the 00s sucked even more, the cars from the 10s are still too expensive, and the 2020s won't bring us any cars at all! cheeky

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
12/4/19 11:45 a.m.

The Regal/TourX are cars that people say they like, especially enthusiasts, but rarely buy themselves. They cost a ton of money for the good ones and depreciate HARD, so most potential buyers just wait for them to hit the pre-owned market. Both the GS and the TourX have been on my radar since they were announced, but I too am waiting on that sweet, sweet depreciation discount. There's no reason either one of these cars should crest $35k, let alone $40k new!

Also, did GM even offer any advertising on these at all? I see Buick ads all the time, but only for the porky little crossover they sell and some of the midsized ones. None have had the Regals on there that I know of.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/4/19 12:26 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

To be fair they advertized them pretty heavily when they were first launched.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/4/19 12:27 p.m.

I am disappoint but not surprise.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
12/4/19 12:48 p.m.

I was surprised they lasted this long.

It's SUV or nothing in America, unless you're willing to pay a pretty penny for a German wagon.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
12/4/19 12:56 p.m.

I think I’ve mentioned this in other threads, but I looked at the TourX when it was new, but ended up with a WRX instead.  At the time, they were not discounting much (if at all), and I was annoyed I’d need to add $7000 to the price tag to get factory installed heated seats.  On what was supposed to be a near luxury car.  I think if I’d waited 6 more months to buy, the discounts had gotten pretty significant, and I’d probably have one now.

Edit:  I think Buick uses this pricing scheme across other models.  I was researching the Encore for someone else at one point, and ran into a similar situation.  Heated seats were only available on the top line model at the time.  

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
12/4/19 2:08 p.m.

Call me crazy but my brand image of Buick is that EVERY Buick should have heated seats, as in they shouldn't make any without them! Does it not get cold in China??cheeky

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/4/19 2:22 p.m.

As much as I like it, I'm surprised the Tour X made it to the 2020. While it has apparently sold better than expected, the numbers are still rather dismal. Well... at least I have a few more months to convince my mother to get one.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
12/4/19 2:28 p.m.
Vigo said:

Call me crazy but my brand image of Buick is that EVERY Buick should have heated seats, as in they shouldn't make any without them! Does it not get cold in China??cheeky

laugh

I guess they were using the BMW model of being a "luxury" brand where all the luxury features are options (at least on the 3 series), but I don't think even BMW is that stingy.  Seriously, base on a 2018 TourX was about 30K, but you didn't get heated seats until you upgraded to the "Essence" model, which, IIRC, cost 37K.  There was no individual option, or comfort package that could be tacked onto the base (or intermediate) model to get them.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RNmJejonxf4shPZN1r9i7iUc8tn2zeHYTFb9qsa87w5sBBzxIKDYHFLLGzm4QDKv