1 2
corytate
corytate Dork
6/24/12 8:16 p.m.
Woody wrote: if driven LIKE AN AWD CAR.

read: left foot braking to rotate in corners.
gotcha. will make sure to do this at every opportunity.
also: so the ff car will use wrx trans but only drive two wheels?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/24/12 9:06 p.m.
corytate wrote:
read: left foot braking to rotate in corners. gotcha. will make sure to do this at every opportunity. also: so the ff car will use wrx trans but only drive two wheels?

For the record, that is not my quote.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
6/24/12 9:14 p.m.

I thought the 818 was going to require the porsche transaxle?

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
6/24/12 9:35 p.m.

I hadn't heard anything about the Porsche, would that be a g50? If you played nice the 915 could work I guess.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/24/12 9:39 p.m.

Normally people stick a G50 in there as (IIRC) it holds up better at higher power levels. The 915 is pretty maxed out at stock 3.2L power levels - one of the reasons the 930 kept the four speed for so long.

I might be wrong but my understanding was that the drivetrain in this car would be all Subaru? Used G50s aren't exactly what I'd call cheap...

I'm actually looking forward to the build - I reserve my judgement on the 818 until it actually exists IRL and someone's built one .

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/24/12 9:53 p.m.

I've owned a WRX and a 911 with the G50. I think the Subaru shifts better.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
6/24/12 10:02 p.m.

For some reason yeah I was thinking of the G50

Clay
Clay HalfDork
6/24/12 11:26 p.m.

I've been watching the 818 project closely as I hope to build one when we get back from Japan. I'm even looking for a daily driver that I can part out and bring the drivetrain back. I'll be really interested to hear what all JDM model drivetrains might work. Luckily I've got several years to figure that all out.

Funny timing as I just returned from test driving a 1999 WRX Sports Wagon at lunch. Great car all around and a steal at $2500 but it's an auto. That actually would make it a better commuter here but a worse donor later!

dculberson
dculberson Dork
6/25/12 11:07 a.m.
Jaynen wrote: I thought the 818 was going to require the porsche transaxle?

I do not believe so. It's a Single Donor kit, meaning all WRX or components available from FFR.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
6/25/12 1:17 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Can any of us up here in the NE come and watch the happenings at FF while you put the 818 through its paces? Probably dreaming on my part but I would love to get a look at the chassis that FF has put together as well. I have never been down to FF. One of my bucket list items is building a GTM.

This.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
6/25/12 2:48 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Okay, I just talked to Woody and bought the white WRX for $2012. Looks like Factory 5's concept that Subaru donor cars are cheap and readily available it valid. Until we start building the 818, we will develop a rigid test regiment for this donor car. that includes a crap load of rallycross abuse.

I wonder if cheap WRX donors are created by road salt. A quick search of WRX's on San Francisco Bay area Craigslist revealed only 2 for less than $7000. One had a "Blown Head-Gasket" the other was missing the transmission.

theenico
theenico New Reader
6/25/12 2:50 p.m.

I'm kind of surprised they went with a donor like the WRX. It's never been a particularly high volume vehicle, and you have to futz with the transmission to eliminate the AWD aspect.

The KISS rule would suggest using a common transverse setup ala Lotus Elise, Ariel Atom, MR2, etc.

corytate
corytate Dork
6/25/12 6:08 p.m.
Woody wrote:
corytate wrote:
read: left foot braking to rotate in corners. gotcha. will make sure to do this at every opportunity. also: so the ff car will use wrx trans but only drive two wheels?
For the record, that is not my quote.

i screwed the formatting up so badly that I had to go back and edit twice, and thus I lost all semblance of the original post. lol

JKleiner
JKleiner New Reader
6/25/12 7:29 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: I thought the 818 was going to require the porsche transaxle?

You're thinking of the GTM. The 818 is all Subie.

Jeff

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/26/12 12:22 p.m.

I'm just wishing that the 818 was a hardtop.

JKleiner
JKleiner New Reader
6/26/12 2:47 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: I'm just wishing that the 818 was a hardtop.

Just sit tight. It's coming shortly after introduction of the roadster.

Jeff

WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
6/27/12 12:49 a.m.

Can a standard Impreza be used as a donor instead of the WRX? Obviously less power, but it would be a cheaper build option. Even with the low power it would probably still be a ton of fun. Less weight than with the WRX donor too.

How about an H-6 option? I've heard a few uncorked and they sound great. Very porsche-like. I might actually prefer a warmed over H-6 to the WRX engine.

LJD
LJD New Reader
6/27/12 4:05 p.m.
WhiteLX wrote: How about an H-6 option? I've heard a few uncorked and they sound great. Very porsche-like. I might actually prefer a warmed over H-6 to the WRX engine.

I imagine the few extra inches for the 3rd cylinder in a row might make it a tad too long for the chassis, but it's hard to tell for sure from the pics.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
6/27/12 4:20 p.m.
theenico wrote: I'm kind of surprised they went with a donor like the WRX. It's never been a particularly high volume vehicle, and you have to futz with the transmission to eliminate the AWD aspect. The KISS rule would suggest using a common transverse setup ala Lotus Elise, Ariel Atom, MR2, etc.

Yes, but then you lose the advantage of the low COG and packaging of the flat four. It would also shift the engine weight from completely in front of the rear axle to effectively in line with it.

Of course, it'd probably be a night and day difference in how easy it is to do spark plugs...

peter
peter HalfDork
6/27/12 4:24 p.m.
WhiteLX wrote: Can a standard Impreza be used as a donor instead of the WRX? Obviously less power, but it would be a cheaper build option. Even with the low power it would probably still be a ton of fun. Less weight than with the WRX donor too. How about an H-6 option? I've heard a few uncorked and they sound great. Very porsche-like. I might actually prefer a warmed over H-6 to the WRX engine.

Standard Impreza has been a yes AFAIK since the beginning. The H6 has been a no, though some internet prognosticators seemed to think there was enough room for one (in my looks at the chassis, I'd say no).

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
6/27/12 6:01 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote:
dean1484 wrote: Can any of us up here in the NE come and watch the happenings at FF while you put the 818 through its paces? Probably dreaming on my part but I would love to get a look at the chassis that FF has put together as well. I have never been down to FF. One of my bucket list items is building a GTM.
This.

Me three?

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/27/12 6:30 p.m.

Dean, as we mentioned in another thread as well... I have asked Facotry 5 and they are cool with us doing a public GRM event this Friday morning at Factory 5. Staffer Andy Reid will be delivering our donor car as well See you Friday a.m.

Much mayhem will ensue. Luckily I will be there to insure maturity prevails.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1kgXv4VyNZWK7ZUZnxw6nnuLfTiHfVFsRGmqxYB3N0cBx6DmTz9LMsEVRJuCOA83