200mph
200mph New Reader
4/19/17 6:30 p.m.

I know these are tough times in the magazine business... but I WILL really miss Bimmer. Great magazine, terrific photos, features and road tests... a lot of what Roundel could (and should) be.

Tim, David, Tom, all of you here at GM/CM have it nailed... I learn something in each issue, and read every page.

The page counts (in what everyone says is a shrinking ad market) speaks volumes (congrats Joe) and I look forward to every issue.

Best wishes for continued success! Mike

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/19/17 6:43 p.m.

I've buried a few magazines. SportCompactCar, Rod & Custom, Wings&Airpower.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
4/19/17 7:18 p.m.

Chicago Daily News. (Paperboy).

Nissan Magazine that CM bought.

Japanese Nostalgic Cars 5 issues.

Autoweek newspaper and weekly version.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/19/17 7:26 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Scc still hurts.

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
4/19/17 7:33 p.m.

Bimmer was great, I am sorry to hear this news. I was a subscriber for many years. As BMW sort of became something different, I lost interest in the magazine as well, but I did enjoy their reviews of older cars.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/19/17 8:53 p.m.

SCC really death spiraled.

Anyway, today I only subscribe to GRM and (now) Firearms News. I also get American Rifleman because I'm a Post Beyond the After Life Member.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
4/19/17 9:19 p.m.

Scc was the one that really effected me. I loved that mag. Go back and read old issues, it's even better than you remember.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
4/20/17 4:44 a.m.

I miss the old SCC. It was a shadow of its former self in the end.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
4/20/17 8:52 a.m.

I miss Popular Hot Rodding, they always had great in-depth builds of their project cars and kept you updated on them as they evolved and tested them, and they had the latest in Pro Touring builds, which was always cool, along with more reasonable budget builds. Honda Tuning is another one I really miss.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UberDork
4/20/17 9:09 a.m.

Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car was another one that recently died. I loved that one. SCC was great back in the day, and I feel that GRM has picked up the SCC torch with its tech articles and buyer's guides.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/20/17 9:34 a.m.

I remember when Super Ford had real tech articles.

To the GRM Staff, thanks for putting out something of true value.

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
4/20/17 9:39 a.m.

I grew up on SCC issues, dreaming of the cars I wanted when I graduated school. Was definitely bummed when it disappeared.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
4/20/17 10:01 a.m.

Print journalism is a troubled business.

I dropped Automobile and kept R&T and C&D basically because they have cheap subscription rates, but they are real quick reads these days. I am a sports car nut and obviously there isn't that much sports car content any more. I just skip right over articles on SUVs, trucks, and family sedans as I have zero interest in them. That leaves me with maybe 30 minutes an issue of things to look at and it is shrinking.

I wouldn't have subscribed to Bimmer because there was also little sports car material on average and I have little interest in a bunch of sedans and SUVs, but I bought back issues with any interesting articles on my Z4M. It was a good read, though and a well done magazine.

Too bad people's attention span seems to be heading down to reading only a paragraph or two.

Interestingly, the Porsche Club seems to have a very well produced and interesting magazine with a solid following.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
4/20/17 10:06 a.m.

In reply to wspohn:

Mrs T.J. signed me up for a year of R&T because it was nearly free, but I'm not really sure I am getting my money's worth. The format is pretty terrible and 90% of the articles are either about SUVs, trucks or super cars that I don't care about in the least. They always include like 4 pages of letters to the editor where readers complain about the content and format and they respond with snarky comments that they don't care what the readers think. I usually spend about 5 minutes per issue before dropping it in the recycle bin.

Toebra
Toebra Reader
4/20/17 11:49 a.m.

I remember seeing Dave Coleman at the Miata ND launch. I kept thinking, I know that guy from somewhere...

That is him on the right, trying to figure out how to open the fuel filler lid so it would not run out of gas when they drove it by the adoring faithful up on the hill. Have several years of SCC in my library

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
4/20/17 12:09 p.m.

I subscribed to SCC not too long before it went tits up. That was disappointing

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
4/20/17 2:41 p.m.

didnt engine masters just close down?
i love the show and had no idea it was a magazine, if it was i would be a paying member.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/20/17 2:59 p.m.

In reply to wspohn:

Pete Stout, who until recently was the Editor and Chief of Panorama, has left PCA and is now churning out 000, which is beyond amazing as it's as much coffee table book as it is periodical. Pano is currently suffering a bit, but I have confidence in the new Editor and Chief, there will just be a transition period, by the beginning of 2018 it should be nearing the standard set by Pete.

Ricky Spanish
Ricky Spanish Reader
4/21/17 9:27 a.m.

I used to read sport compact car in my 20s.

Panorama is my favorite right now.

My son refers to Autoweek as "AutoEveryOtherWeek" - I can't imagine that rag will be in business very long, they're always late on news and their content is clearly bought and paid for by whatever manufacturer they're promoting at any given moment.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
4/21/17 11:51 a.m.
TurboFocus wrote: didnt engine masters just close down? i love the show and had no idea it was a magazine, if it was i would be a paying member.

Engine Masters really wasn't a magazine. It was just coverage of the event (which could be found in Popular Hot Rodding first, then Hot Rod post-takeover) and then the handful of engine builds (also shown in either magazine) and then some engine tech culled from a few of the sister magazines. No real new content that couldn't be found elsewhere.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
4/21/17 1:11 p.m.

We've got three issues of Bimmer still on the rack at Autobooks-Aerobooks if somebody needs one. There's a red banner on top that reads, "FINAL ISSUE - GET IT BEFORE IT'S GONE!" Sad.

Yes, you can find all manner of scribbling on the internet on all things Bimmer. The difference is, someone vets the print mag copy for correctness with warnings regarding any potentially hazardous situations. I'm sure some websites do the same but the law id very clear when it comes to print. Also, I still find it hard to balance a laptop on my knees when sitting on the throne.

I will say no more. We grossed Tim out pretty thoroughly during the last discussion about how we consume GRM/CMS.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/21/17 1:34 p.m.

Ha! I remember that thread.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WYVn20vdMIBRhiEY1x57ZqlAFsJqDqd89RJh5zCSEwDkJqKFn0ebppHCLEQBfLXG