David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/10/20 8:52 a.m.

[Editor's Note: This article originally appeared in the December 2015 issue of Grassroots Motorsports.]

Meet Our Expert:

Erich Heuschele
manager/DR, SRT vehicle dynamics
drivesrt.com

The best-performing Dodge Challenger for autocross is the SRT 392, specifically the 2015 and 2016 models. It …

Read the rest of the story

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/10/20 9:07 a.m.

Erich Heschele is a name I haven't heard since my old neons.org days!  Glad he's still around.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/10/20 9:37 a.m.

See them more and more as rentals, not always the best sign

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/10/20 9:45 a.m.

I know Dodge constantly gets picked on for antique platforms, adding power to everything for no reason, etc., but you have to love how helpful they are when asked how to track their cars. Most OEMs talk a lot about maintaining factory warranties and "did you see the new rocker panel applique that looks track ready!" while meanwhile Dodge is like "You know it might screw up the stability control to do this but don't you want to go fast you wuss!"

350z247
350z247 New Reader
12/10/20 2:14 p.m.

250 degrees?! I'm taking a cool down lap if any temperature hits 225 then upgrading something before the next time out.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/10/20 3:28 p.m.
350z247 said:

250 degrees?! I'm taking a cool down lap if any temperature hits 225 then upgrading something before the next time out.

There is nothing wrong with oil temp that high. Synthetics can handle 300. 

When I had my 135i the stock oil cooler thermostat didn't even partially open until the oil is 230-235° the goal was to keep it between 235-250 for efficiency. 

350z247
350z247 New Reader
12/10/20 4:24 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

They didn't specify if it was oil or coolant, but I assumed it was oil. I'd still rather stick at or under 225. If the gauge says 225 at the sump, it might be much higher somewere else in the engine. I know the oil can handle it, but it makes me uncomfortable.

For your example, I don't trust modern BMWs and their cooling. BMW has adopted an "as long as the engine makes it out of warranty, we don't care" mindset. I realize emissions standards are strict, but running coolant temps in the 220-230 range at over 20PSI is too much for an engine to last. I modified the oil cooler and thermostat in my wife's E70 X5M to have the oil and coolant sit closer to 200-210 degrees. I don't want to replce my rubber hoses every 30K miles.

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/11/20 5:50 a.m.

I am impressed. That is a lot of great information, shared by someone who knows what he is talking about! Excellent article!

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
12/11/20 6:49 a.m.

I still want a Challenger in the worst way. Dodge did a good job of tapping into the emotion aspect, rather than raw performance. I've sat in tons of Camaros and quite a few Mustangs, but none of them just gave me the same feel as sitting in a Challenger.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/11/20 8:24 a.m.
NickD said:

I still want a Challenger in the worst way. Dodge did a good job of tapping into the emotion aspect, rather than raw performance. I've sat in tons of Camaros and quite a few Mustangs, but none of them just gave me the same feel as sitting in a Challenger.

I LOVE the way they look. But can't get past the weight. 

And that's disappointing about the tire size. A car with that much power and weight can only fit 275s without major surgery? You can stuff 265s under the unrolled fenders of a BRZ.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
12/11/20 8:39 a.m.

Not gonna lie, I still want a Challenger. BAD.

Is it large by huge and weighs a ton? Yes. But it's a great GT car, and with some light mods, they will dance. One day, I will own one.

Our Preferred Partners
ljniIpT5O433J7R7tFtDpNq1HICge8VUfdm31WhdjK2sMpUz7elFObmzibFCiOAu