1 2
Barb_Dwyer
Barb_Dwyer New Reader
7/27/21 1:25 p.m.

In reply to The Staff of Motorsport Marketing :

Mazda's hardcore, unwavering commitment to performance is inspiring, as well as the fact that they look and sound amazing. Although seeing how they are repaired makes me uninterested in owning one, unless I could hire a professional to do it for me.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/27/21 3:18 p.m.

Just saw a video on RX-7's and learned that that last FD's (not in US) had a special ABS system that allowed for differential braking to improve trail braking.

te72
te72 HalfDork
8/1/22 8:44 p.m.

I did my best to avoid driving one for as long as possible. Friend had a car stored at my place, brings his FD (by himself) to pick it up. Doesn't want me driving the turd he left parked here, so he forces me to drive the FD to his place.

What a jerk. The want is strong. Always has been, since about 2004, to be fair.

c0rbin9
c0rbin9 Reader
8/1/22 11:48 p.m.

I wish they came in a naturally-aspirated variety. The stock drivetrain has a lot of "wind up" to it and the transmission doesn't like to be shifted quickly.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/22 7:10 a.m.
c0rbin9 said:

I wish they came in a naturally-aspirated variety. The stock drivetrain has a lot of "wind up" to it and the transmission doesn't like to be shifted quickly.

They're called "miatas" smiley

te72
te72 HalfDork
8/4/22 3:22 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Miata seats suck, certainly compared to the ones in the FD I drove, that I believe to be stock. Not sure what would be different about them in the transmission department though, the drivetrain is largely similar between the two models if I recall correctly. Never driven an NA RX7 though...

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
8/4/22 10:58 a.m.

I've driven 2 FDs, one was lightly modified but still on the stock twin turbos, one was fitted with a large single turbo. Unfortunately in both instances I was not on roads that would really show the handling characteristics of the car, but I can say that steering feel and throttle response were great on both cars, and the difference in interior with the FD vs the other generations of RX-7 is how serious it feels. My FB interior feels relatively open and airy, in the FD it really feels like the car wraps around you and means business, like you're not here to cruise around and see the sights, you're here to drive. If I remember correctly, it also used different style door handles depending on whether you were on the driver or passenger side, and the driver side latch is like a pull back inset into the handle. The overall feeling I got from driving the car was that it was truly special and a car of purpose, I'd describe the AP1 S2000 in that way as well..

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/5/22 2:56 a.m.

They aren't unreliable. I mean, mine is getting a new engine at the moment. But they aren't ALL unrealiable. Just... some of them. Apparently.

mr2peak
8/5/22 3:01 a.m.

One just sold for $105k on BAT fyi

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/22 9:52 a.m.

I really like these. For the longest time I wanted to motor swap one of these with a boosted Mazda k motor. Sadly it will never happen as the value of these has gone through the roof. The only way I would do that is if I could get one with a blown motor or a salvag title car. 

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
8/6/22 12:03 p.m.
dannyp84 said:

the difference in interior with the FD vs the other generations of RX-7 is how serious it feels. My FB interior feels relatively open and airy, in the FD it really feels like the car wraps around you and means business, like you're not here to cruise around and see the sights, you're here to drive.

That's the problem with keeping the same model name for decades, they become entirely different cars. Like comparing the 280Z with a Z32 300ZX, or even a late 70s Corolla with an early 90s one.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/6/22 5:20 p.m.
j_tso said:
dannyp84 said:

the difference in interior with the FD vs the other generations of RX-7 is how serious it feels. My FB interior feels relatively open and airy, in the FD it really feels like the car wraps around you and means business, like you're not here to cruise around and see the sights, you're here to drive.

That's the problem with keeping the same model name for decades, they become entirely different cars. Like comparing the 280Z with a Z32 300ZX, or even a late 70s Corolla with an early 90s one.

Sort of.  They only sold the RX-7 for 16 years in the US (and the '95 model year totalled about 500 cars).  Miatas have been on sale for 33 now.

mr2peak
8/8/22 2:43 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
j_tso said:
dannyp84 said:

Sort of.  They only sold the RX-7 for 16 years in the US (and the '95 model year totalled about 500 cars).  Miatas have been on sale for 33 now.

They don't sell Miatas anymore, it's an MX-5 cheeky

Driver_WT
Driver_WT GRM+ Member
11/23/23 2:08 p.m.

Had a 93, should have never sold it

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rulw5qajQz9YoiozoyBma443kFMlXJLmNHLSeQzyJ7L8GTDCFgdaLoWCgohyTbrM