1 2
Txsilverbalt
Txsilverbalt None
6/23/17 3:49 p.m.

The great thing about the delta platform is the interchangeability. All of the suspension components from the SS models fit the base models with relative ease.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
3/15/24 6:52 a.m.

On oval tracks, the Cobalt has become a popular option today. 

wspohn
wspohn UltraDork
3/15/24 1:47 p.m.

Bit more difficult getting the power to the road on a FWD car. They shared the LNF engine with the Solstice/Sky, plus the one that would make an interesting 450 BHP sleeper, the Chevrolet HHR SS (also FWS so hard to get the power to the road).

Very rugged engines and very tunable. I only run mine in my Solstice to 375 bhp, which is relatively conservative, but with better pistons, rods etc., you can end up with 600+ bhp.  There are a number of dyno runs on  Youtube.

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 Reader
3/15/24 2:02 p.m.

Last year I was at an autocross and there was a guy with a newly completed Ariel Atom-type of kit car that used a Cobalt SS as a donor car. Other than the frame and front suspension, it utilized most of the Cobalt for all the important bits of the car, down to the dash and most of the wiring harness. It was pretty quick since it probably weighed around half what the Cobalt weighed. I thought it was a cool car, and the owner said that he bought a wrecked donor car so it was pretty cheap from that standpoint.

t321sg
t321sg New Reader
3/15/24 2:27 p.m.

A turbo Cobalt SS held Car and Driver's lightning lap record for stock front wheel drive cars at VIR for 10 years.

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
3/16/24 11:32 a.m.
RacerBoy75 said:

Last year I was at an autocross and there was a guy with a newly completed Ariel Atom-type of kit car that used a Cobalt SS as a donor car. Other than the frame and front suspension, it utilized most of the Cobalt for all the important bits of the car, down to the dash and most of the wiring harness. It was pretty quick since it probably weighed around half what the Cobalt weighed. I thought it was a cool car, and the owner said that he bought a wrecked donor car so it was pretty cheap from that standpoint.

Sounds like a DF Goblin, which is an appropriate name for it's *ahem* unique styling.

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
3/16/24 11:34 a.m.
t321sg said:

A turbo Cobalt SS held Car and Driver's lightning lap record for stock front wheel drive cars at VIR for 10 years.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QJFCVqxzMAWBEHyU0KEe5EUi5tU6qiZfwVzdR4JCzh0JBFunbPPNmuHrcScMorcz