1 2
Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
2/1/15 1:31 p.m.

I see that a 1-2 year old ATS with the 2.0 turbo and manual transmission, and 15k - 20k miles runs just above $25k. Has anyone driven one of these? I don't think I have ever seen one in the wild. Are they worthy contenders to the BMWs of the same size and age? its 270 hp puts it in the middle of the 328 and 335.

sjd
sjd New Reader
2/1/15 3:00 p.m.

They aren't selling too well from what I hear. I've been tempted to go look at a new one but I'm afraid it would be too well priced and I'd end up with one. Plus I just don't know that I can trust buying a GM again. I did hear good things about them as far as driving dynamics go though.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
2/1/15 3:08 p.m.

This is the most disappointing thing with all GM's, this dash can fit in early 80s car and no one would know any better.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
2/1/15 3:22 p.m.

That is pretty hideous.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
2/1/15 3:34 p.m.
JtspellS wrote: This is the most disappointing thing with all GM's, this dash can fit in early 80s car and no one would know any better.

Wow, I thought that was a dash out of a early '00s Pontiac.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/1/15 4:03 p.m.

In reply to JtspellS:

I'll take that over the over-wrought crap in a lot of newer cars. The only thing that would bug me is that the speedometer is nonlinear the way Caddy has been doing it since 2000 or so, but it's not progressively nonlinear. It's the same all the way to 120 and then the travel per MPH halves.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
2/1/15 4:23 p.m.

I would have bought one if they weren't so damn expense. So I saved a few bucks and bought my Jetta TDI instead.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
2/1/15 5:43 p.m.

I rented one for 5 days in LA and drove up to Pismo and drove quite a bit every day. It is a little small, back seat is very small, it was pleasant to drive but I wouldn't say it was "fun" The transmission felt really busy with all those gears. Enterprise had several 2.0T's and S60's available that day. After driving the ATS and the Regal GS, I greatly preferred the GS, but that may have been the seats and that it "felt" faster, even though its the other way around on paper.

pav5069
pav5069 New Reader
2/1/15 8:02 p.m.

Friend has one and It's not bad at all. It's alittle fun car. It's pretty much a chevy colbolt ss but rear wheel drive. I would get one for a DD. The interior is amazing and doesn't feel like a budget cadalic at all.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/2/15 4:44 p.m.

I drove a 3.6 ATS and was very impressed, especially compared to Cadillacs of just a few years ago, including both gens of CTS up to that point. I don't like the CUE center stack but everything else about it was pretty great. A 2yo one for 25k seems like a good deal.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
2/2/15 4:45 p.m.
JtspellS wrote: This is the most disappointing thing with all GM's, this dash can fit in early 80s car and no one would know any better.

What more do you want out of a dash?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/2/15 5:00 p.m.
kanaric wrote:
What more do you want out of a dash?

I can tell you I don't want the lighting that this one has. Maybe with red or orange, but that blue makes it look cheap.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/2/15 5:46 p.m.

The door handles light up all tron like. i thought that was cool.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
2/2/15 6:30 p.m.

I don't see anything wrong with that dashboard

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/2/15 7:35 p.m.

I see lots of things wrong with it.

no oil pressure gauge, no oil temp guage, no volt meter, and some stupid digital display...

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
2/3/15 6:44 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
Wow, I thought that was a dash out of a early '00s Pontiac.

It looks very Saturn-esque. That's what I'd say is wrong with it. If I'm buying a $40k Cadillac, I don't want to be reminded of a 20 year old economy car when I look at the dash.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
2/3/15 7:07 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: I see lots of things wrong with it. no oil pressure gauge, no oil temp guage, no volt meter, and some stupid digital display...

What car has an oil temp gauge?

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/3/15 7:08 a.m.

I just bought one a few weeks ago and love it. I got a 2014 AWD 2.0T sedan for over $10k off sticker, and then had GM Card Earnings top off of $3k. The great thing about the rewards top-off was that they allowed you to use your full redemption amount (typically they only let you redeem a small amount - say $1500) on a car. I'll write more later.

The deals on the 2014s are phenomenal. The 2015 2.0T's have a 30 lb-ft torque bump that I would love to have, but I'm sure that gap can be narrowed through an aftermarket tune (after the warranty runs out).

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
2/3/15 7:12 a.m.

What's the math for 0-65mph in 0.1 miles?

And why does it read 0 mph below and to the right of the speedo while the speedo indicates 65mph?

espz28
espz28 New Reader
2/3/15 7:51 a.m.

That dash is a liar! Burn it!

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
2/3/15 9:22 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: What's the math for 0-65mph in 0.1 miles? And why does it read 0 mph below and to the right of the speedo while the speedo indicates 65mph?

5.5s, plus/minus 2.7s assuming it could be anywhere between 0.05000000 miles and 0.1499999999 miles.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/3/15 9:24 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
Gearheadotaku wrote: I see lots of things wrong with it. no oil pressure gauge, no oil temp guage, no volt meter, and some stupid digital display...
What car has an oil temp gauge?

Several Corvettes had oil temp gauges, and some trucks have trans temp...

Maybe they'll fix this on the "V" version?

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
2/6/15 8:28 a.m.

I had one for a week and 1000 miles. I liked it for the most part.It is not what I expected from a Cad. but it is what I expect from GM. The car has very good power. With the traction control off it is more fun to drive. All thoe it should be labeled more fun driving mode. As it is not off !They have lots of wind noise like one window down that starts at 60mph. The fuel economy is crap! 25mpg WTF GM! No leg room for kids in the back seat if the people in the front seat are over 5'9".

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
9/16/15 11:10 a.m.

NecroBump...

I've been looking into these lately as a possible replacement for my Mazda 3. On paper, I like what I see. I'm looking at the 2.0T AWD Performance model, and kinda sorta cross shopping them with the 2015 WRX. This car would be a daily driver 365 days a year, and I drive 20-25k miles a year.

What I like:

-makes over 100hp more than my 3 and gets better MPG, even with AWD

-I hear they handle great and are fun to drive

-Performance package comes with nice goodies, like sport seats, HID's, flappy paddles, etc.

-a bit more "grown up" than I have had recently

-Price point is not terrible, especially for what you get

-GM vehicle = cheap parts, and it doesn't look bad to wrench on

-You can get a red interior!!! I want a silver with red interior one to match my Trans Am. I miss colors.

-Less chance to get a former Flatbrimmer Brochacho-mobile than buying a used WRX, bro

What I don't like:

-CUE infotainment system looks like a PITA, with no real buttons or knobs

-Dat 1994 Buick Park Avenue gauge cluster tho

-Small trunk

-Not sure I trust GM yet

As I said, I was cross shopping this with the new WRX. Both can be had used around $25K, and the ATS can be had for even less. The WRX makes similar power from a 2.0 four, has AWD, and gets worse gas mileage. The interior of the ATS looks like a better place to spend time. You can't get a manual in the ATS with AWD, but you can get a RWD one with a manual. I'd likely get the AWD automatic one anyway, because sitting in traffic is where I spend 90% of my time.

Anyone know more about these things?

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
9/16/15 11:50 a.m.

Isn't there something about the gauge cluster? I think someone mentioned something about that.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UHxGE7k2edBCK6axvXOTzX7P4dNxU2WhSg9JTTGBlQpvYr7dgFGGgOuUk5tSShou