Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Dork
8/10/21 7:55 a.m.

Benjamin Franklin once opined that “in this world, nothing can be said to be certain except death and taxes.” And while he might have been right, it could be said that he missed one more certainty: lists.

People love lists. Music? We have a top 40 for that. Movies? Of course.

Automobiles? Yep. We enthusiasts love reading and debating lists that …

Read the rest of the story

Red5
Red5 New Reader
8/10/21 8:02 a.m.

no

Powar
Powar UltraDork
8/10/21 8:32 a.m.

Here's the thing: If I saw a Cavalier of that generation still on the road and in decent condition, I'd take a second look. Maybe a third. Why wouldn't I feel the same about the Cadillac version? I've owned a few Cadillacs from that era and enjoyed every one. They definitely belong at Radwood and other shows featuring cars from that era.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
8/10/21 8:56 a.m.

Preserving those is best done in the spirit of "Those who cannot remember history are doomed to repeat it." They don't even have spectacularly overdone, period-piece styling, like an Edsel or Aztec. The Cimarron is just a mediocre '80s car. Its main problem was that they attempted to market it as a premium '80s car. As a business lesson, though, it's a great example of the dangers of brand dillution.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/10/21 9:21 a.m.

My mom's uncle, as I remember, always drove Cadillacs. And, yes, he had a Cimarron when they were new. A clean one would totally stop me in my tracks. 

Is it a great car? No. But it's nostalgic through and through. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
8/10/21 10:06 a.m.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/10/21 10:24 a.m.

My first car was an 84 cavalier.  I hope they and all derivatives die.   I wish them the most painful of deaths. May disease grip their families and pestilence ruin their crops forever. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/10/21 12:52 p.m.

I've ranted about '80s GM cars plenty in other threads so I won't do it again here but I will say that nostalgic is not how I feel when I think of the Cimmaron.

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/10/21 1:45 p.m.

mediocre then, terrible garbage now

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Dork
8/10/21 6:50 p.m.

I mean, that's just like your opinion, man. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/10/21 6:52 p.m.

I maintain that any clean survivor becomes inherently interesting after about 25-30 years simply by continuing to exist. Especially Cimmarons, as they are the vehicular equivalent of a gruesome crash that you just can't stop looking at.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
8/11/21 8:07 a.m.

On the other hand, if you want a mid '80s GM FWD stab at luxury, Daily Turismo just found this.

$6700 buys what appears to be a GM engineering test mule for a small block Chevy option in the Pontiac 6000. Park that next to an E30 and a Cimmaron, and see what gets the most attention. devil

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/11/21 8:42 a.m.
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/11/21 11:03 a.m.

Nostalgia seems to be a big factor on the perception of some cars (hence why I think Radwood is so popular today).

Sure, the base model Saturn SL my parents had when I was very young was nothing special–it didn't even have a passenger mirror–but I do plenty of fond memories watching the world go by from the back seat during road trips.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/11/21 4:55 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wznfo6IqCIWBaa5wtpVD09eR0M5A86oKwVGGJb9gwD8eBUx8M8sxNb9j9OfCLaHO