2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
3/21/23 3:29 p.m.

Does anyone have any familiarity with this tire? The only thing I came up with is possibly their Drag Series of tires. Thoughts?

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/21/23 3:36 p.m.

There should be a code number in the bottom left of the tire in the picture, likely starting with a "D". This code will define the compound and construction for the tire.

It appears similar to the NASCAR tires, but may be for another oval series (it looks wider than the 15" tire for Xfinity and Truck), or as you mention a drag tire. Either way, the code will provide the path to the information you seek.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
3/21/23 3:44 p.m.

Yes. That's a Goodyear Eagle.

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
3/21/23 3:45 p.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

Yeah, even when I expand the original picture, I can't make out that code. Just using the car as a reference, it seems to be a pretty tall tire-like 36 inches tall which would place it in the drag radial area! 

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
3/21/23 3:45 p.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

Hahaha!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/21/23 4:26 p.m.

Another idea: reach out to a Goodyear Racing tire distributor? 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/21/23 4:32 p.m.

Is that an actual car or a render?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/21/23 7:46 p.m.

Find that number.  It will tell you all you need to know.  I doubt drag, because it's not squishy.  Looks bigger than the standard 10 inch late model tire, so likely its a cup tire from the old days of 15's.  It looks a bit big for that, but you are normally looking at it under a fender on a stock car.

There were some horrifyingly large tires on Can Am cars in the big block days, but they would all be rotten by now.

grafmiata
grafmiata UltraDork
3/21/23 8:03 p.m.
2GRX7 said:

In reply to stafford1500 :

Yeah, even when I expand the original picture, I can't make out that code. Just using the car as a reference, it seems to be a pretty tall tire-like 36 inches tall which would place it in the drag radial area! 

Take into consideration that the body of the car has been channeled, and the tire probably isn't that tall, overall.  And going by the "RF5" marking, it looks like the tire came off of something with a "square" tire setup.  My guess would be standard 15" NASCAR tire on a wider rim, giving it a more flat sidewall than on the old NASCAR wheels.

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
3/21/23 9:04 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

It's a render! It's crazy how real it looks.

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
3/21/23 9:15 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Will be doing that next-just thought I'd find an eagle-eyed reader who could rattle off the type of tire.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/21/23 11:27 p.m.

I'm thinking that looks like a 13" rim  so possibly a Formula Atlantic rear tire.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
3/22/23 2:31 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Find that number.  It will tell you all you need to know.  I doubt drag, because it's not squishy.  Looks bigger than the standard 10 inch late model tire, so likely its a cup tire from the old days of 15's.  It looks a bit big for that, but you are normally looking at it under a fender on a stock car.

There were some horrifyingly large tires on Can Am cars in the big block days, but they would all be rotten by now.

My dad autocrossed with a set of Goodyear can am front tires from the formula 5000 can am era on his 69 corvette. Goodyear doesn't do that much race tires anymore and stopped production of most. Fir example you can't get a shirt track Goodyear tire anymore. For oval racing it's only the main 3 nascar series. All their lower series like arca nascar pintys ones use general tires made by Hoosier. Goodyear also has their nhra tires plus lmp2 tires that they previously badged as Dunlop.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/22/23 10:11 a.m.

In reply to MotorsportsGordon :

I saw new Goodyear short track tires on a message board post the other day.  I have no other knowledge, but apparently they are not old stock.

I don't know any more than that.  I thought it odd that Goodyear would get back into the business ten years after ditching it all.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AVhLqUdq2WtAcCwpEi5eta4rXhyfmCDj6fhhGDHyLYt1lJjouptwRT2utjhOZyQ0