ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
2/28/22 12:31 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XNCvXX73Boo

Is there such a thing as an easy button for building fast race cars? Starting with an ASA tube-frame stock car might be the closest thing.

This one, built by Jack Higginbotham, has been reskinned to resemble an early Camaro Trans-Am racer. Read the full build thread for yourself: Gen 1 Camaro/ASA Stock Car Build. Presented by CRC Industries.

Watch more videos

Wes_L
Wes_L
2/28/22 6:02 p.m.

As someone with an ASA stock car also, I 100% agree. Those cars are hilarious fun as is, let alone at -400 lbs.  Ditch the goodyears though, the hoosier 3035's are great and make the car much less edgy.  Looking forward to seeing it at UTCC

jh36
jh36 Dork
2/28/22 11:45 p.m.

In reply to Wes_L :

Hilariously fun is a good description.  I have found myself smiling and chuckling in this thing.  It's fun. 

Those Goodyears came with the car, and they are at least a decade old, so my first real test at SP showed that needed to change.  I just got a set of R75A Hoosiers and will be mounting those for the next outing.  

Chris and team, thanks for the love...I am looking forward to seeing which direction JG takes his project.  Fun.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/3/22 11:30 a.m.

Thanks for all of the help on the video and, yeah, looks like fun. Eager to see the car IRL–perhaps on my next visit. :)

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/3/22 11:42 a.m.

I've watched this video so many times I could start my own YouTube channel analyzing it like it's the latest Dr. Strange trailer.

jh36
jh36 Dork
3/3/22 7:06 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Heck yes. Track day music jam. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
3/3/22 7:07 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

I've watched this video so many times I could start my own YouTube channel analyzing it like it's the latest Dr. Strange trailer.

jg

Critique is right. I may have broken the "ummm" record on this one. I try to be aware of that, um....

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
10/25/22 1:00 p.m.

The only disappointment is no in-car video.

When I started doing trackdays, there was a guy who regularly showed up in a primer-gray Camaro of the same generation. Lowered, race tires, and the best part, 180-deg headers. Watching and hearing it doing laps was a real treat and looked like a lot of fun. I owned a Datsun 1200 at the time and admit to thinking how much more fun the Camaro must have been, but later considered running expenses: gas, tires, brakes, and decided to just be happy with what I had :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ClnrcQ1ytGzInqpfbf5GtumT8Q8fZYKmqalH1nnRWLxqMkdO2mlw6iNebtBBavTq