1 2
ApexEight
ApexEight New Reader
12/3/18 1:28 p.m.

I saw that a 2010 Accord, driven by a Cameron Goode, won 2nd place in HS this year at Nationals. Does anyone have any information on his car/build? Didn't realize an Accord would be so competitive.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
12/3/18 1:48 p.m.

Could that have been a rain anomaly? 

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/3/18 2:06 p.m.

And how about four Civics in the top ten?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/18 2:08 p.m.
jstein77 said:

Could that have been a rain anomaly? 

When I ran the Match Tour, the guys who had multiple wins at Nationals were 8 seconds ahead of me in the pouring rain.  EIGHT SECONDS.  Guys who are good can get even better in the wet!     

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/3/18 2:16 p.m.

is this the v6 6 speed coupe guy?

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/3/18 2:19 p.m.

2009 Honda Accord V6 EX-L 6 speed Manual Coupe. IT's at the full opposite end of the option spectrum from the Traccord Mazdadeuce is building for OLOA. 

Cameron is a buddy, and it's not a rain thing. He's a top Pax candidate for basically any event in our area in DFW. 

Car gets 18x8's stock, but it has no diff and it's heavier than my Focus ST, I think it's like 3300 lbs... it's a heavy car. 

http://autocross.com/er/2018results/cc18_1_pax.htm
http://autocross.com/er/2018results/cc18_2_pax.htm
http://autocross.com/er/2018results/cc18_3_pax.htm
http://autocross.com/er/2018results/cc18_4_pax.htm
http://autocross.com/er/2018results/cc18_5_pax.htm

http://autocross.com/er/2018results/cc18_6_pax.htm

If you look through these Pax results from the local DFW private autox events you'll find Cameron constantly in the mix with National Championship winners like Whitener and Foley and contenders like Tyler Kvetko. You'll also see him running well against guys like Mike Dusold who won the Ultimate Street car invitational this year. 

SCCA events you'll also see him at the top of, but more top national level people go to ER events locally in DFW. 

Cameron is chasing a red jacket and he's friggin quick. put him in anything and he'll take it 100% of it's potential almost immediately. 

He co drove with Foley at the last SCCA event of the year. 

https://texasscca.org/2018_solo_results/tr18_9_pax.htm

Benswen
Benswen New Reader
12/3/18 3:03 p.m.

I see that the Acura TL is also in HS - about the same car, but with available LSD.

There's also the 08-12 Accord LX-S - less weight, less power, 1/2" less wheel width, 1 less gear.

spacecadet
12/3/18 3:16 p.m.
Benswen said:

I see that the Acura TL is also in HS - about the same car, but with available LSD.

There's also the 08-12 Accord LX-S - less weight, less power, 1/2" less wheel width, 1 less gear.

The Fiesta is still the car to have for the class in my opinion, but the accord is still a neat option. The area under the Curve for the V6 is the real benefit of Cameron's car. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/3/18 3:32 p.m.

I noticed that finish just this weekend too.

When I do my annual, you know, "check the scca nats results to see what junk available on my local cl is fast" exercise.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
12/3/18 5:02 p.m.

More shocking than the Accord in HS, is the fact that a DSM worked for two consecutive days to win STH. 

spacecadet
12/3/18 6:47 p.m.
Spoolpigeon said:

More shocking than the Accord in HS, is the fact that a DSM worked for two consecutive days to win STH. 

LOL,Thomas Thompson is selling his XP car and going all in on his STH audi TT development and I think Brian Flannigan will be back with his GTi. 

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
12/4/18 6:57 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet : 

Yeah, no doubt there will be faster cars showing up in STH. I just love the fact that someone was able to take a less than reputable car and win in the class’s maiden year. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/4/18 7:56 a.m.

I had a 99 5mt Accord coupe. It was a good commuter, but the f23 was too weak to be fun to drive.

I put Integra type R calipers with VTech Prelude rotors on the front, kept the stock rear disks, then put in a 12 lb flywheel with an Exedy stage 1 clutch.

Better, but still not too much fun. Loved the brakes, though.

A j35 manual transmission coupe sounds great.

lateapexer
lateapexer Reader
12/4/18 8:55 a.m.

My DD Acura TL can be locked in second gear (manual mode) and it has a torque converter so very little torque steer... Hmmmm cheeky

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
12/4/18 9:46 p.m.

I remember seeing that result and being surprised. There’s a national champ who runs a 4 banger HS Accord pretty quick in CA. Fast drivers are fast is what I keep learning.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/5/18 4:12 a.m.

can someone give me the tl;dr on what "HS" rules allow?

is like +.5" on wheels width, and ??? tires, and "within OEM suspension adjustments" ?

is HS like the dumping ground of cars considered "too old to be competitive" since there isn't any stock class lower than that?

Fitz
Fitz GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/5/18 9:02 a.m.

Street classes: stock wheel width, +/- 1" wheel diameter, +/- 7mm wheel offset, shocks can be changed but not springs, cat back exhaust, 200tw tires of any size that fits on legal rims. Can adjust alignment using  stock means and can use crash/camber bolts if the workshop manual allows for them. 

That's broad strokes how it works. If something is a standalone option (i.e. wider wheels) you can use those specs on your car. There's also some ability to go with port installed (or optionable port installed) items. Generally for the stock classes having decent suspension that works stock w/available camber is the first hurdle, then it's power:weight:wheel width that sorts things from there.

HS is just the slowest of the street classes. It really isn't that slow nowadays. Consensus is the go to car is a Fiesta ST with some believing that the new Civic Sport, 06ish Civic Si and some odd option combo of Mini Cooper were darkhorses.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
12/5/18 9:33 a.m.
Fitz said:

Street classes: stock wheel width, +/- 1" wheel diameter, +/- 7mm wheel offset, shocks can be changed but not springs, cat back exhaust, 200tw tires of any size that fits on legal rims. Can adjust alignment using  stock means and can use crash/camber bolts if the workshop manual allows for them. 

...And can replace (or add) the sway bar on one end of the car.

NickD
NickD UberDork
12/5/18 9:40 a.m.
Driven5 said:
Fitz said:

Or delete a sway bar. Drop in air filter as well, I believe. And the shocks can be adjustable but only 2 of them

spacecadet
12/5/18 9:58 a.m.
NickD said:
Driven5 said:
Fitz said:

Or delete a sway bar. Drop in air filter as well, I believe. And the shocks can be adjustable but only 2 of them

all 4 Shocks can only be up to 2 way adjustable and must maintain stock style spring perch and perch location must remain in same place, in relation to hub, as stock. Fully extended length must be within =/- 1" of stock. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
12/5/18 10:02 a.m.
spacecadet said:
NickD said:
Driven5 said:
Fitz said:

all 4 Shocks can only be up to 2 way adjustable and must maintain stock style spring perch and perch location must remain in same place, in relation to hub, as stock. Fully extended length must be within =/- 1" of stock. 

Ahh, I can never remember quite how that rule is worded. I also never pay much attention to the Street rules, because I never ran there. I went straight from Novice to C/SP to SSM. I'm dumb like that.

sleepyhead
12/5/18 10:03 a.m.

gotcha, thanks for the tl;dr!

spacecadet
12/5/18 10:12 a.m.

The big advantage Cameron's car has compared to everything else competitive in HS is the double wishbone front suspension. Nothing else competitive in HS has double wishbones. With how affordable these cars are, I imagine we will see more of them in HS going forward, the only downside is the tire costs being higher than the other cars in HS and The overall width of the fiesta combined with how light it is.. 2650-ish lbs for my buddies 2018 at Solo Nats, and the great mid-range power delivery from the ecoboost.  

spacecadet
12/5/18 10:13 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

no worries man, the rules get a lot simpler when they get to "unrestricted" like in SSM. 

sleepyhead
12/5/18 10:33 a.m.
Fitz said:

HS is just the slowest of the street classes. It really isn't that slow nowadays. Consensus is the go to car is a Fiesta ST with some believing that the new Civic Sport, 06ish Civic Si and some odd option combo of Mini Cooper were darkhorses.

Yeah, I get that.  It's just interesting, because you could have an 01 Civic Dx paired against a 05 TL or 06 Si

re: MINI
it's probably a low-option '09 MINI Cooper S, with the factory LSD, sport suspension, and the JCW engine tune kit... although it's probably limited by the 17x7 wheels

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yQA13xNAs91gDBVKT02xdvCo68ZdbqOKj4p5XqhwVW7h7OPmJz2vgdaL3zDBH9Y6