JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/12/22 4:17 p.m.
feature_image

So, just before our MR2 burst into flames at Daytona, it was running well. Really well.

[How to react when your car catches fire | Project MR2 Turbo]

Aside from being our official test facility, the Florida International Rally and Motorsport Park also has their own in-house time trial series that runs a points championship every year.

Using a NASA-based …

This content is available for GRM+ members and Grassroots Motorsports magazine subscribers only.

You can read it for free in 2 days or subscribe to GRM+ to read right now.

Subscribe now

Already a member?

Login to read

Read the rest of the story

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
9/12/22 6:18 p.m.

Nice improvement!  Switching to a racing seat in my rallycross car helped a lot.  It's easier to concentrate on the course when you aren't trying to brace yourself in the seat at the same time.

John Prieve
John Prieve New Reader
9/13/22 1:27 p.m.

Kirkey has so many seats. Which seat did you use?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/14/22 10:10 a.m.
John Prieve said:

Kirkey has so many seats. Which seat did you use?

This one: https://www.kirkeyracing.com/product/10/38170/SEAT-ALUMINUM-17-STANDARD-10-TO-20-LAYBACK

The reason it still looks like a work in progress is because it is. I'm kind of super picky about seats, so I usually spend several events with various tweaks to padding and expanding foam inserts and angle adjustments and they just look like butt for four months until I finally feel like I've nailed it, then I'll throw some fireproof cloth over top of it. 

burdickjp
burdickjp GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/15/22 12:29 p.m.

I have had a pair of Marrad TS2s which I had in an NA Miata and then an EA11R Cappuccino. I like how low the sides are, making getting in and out easier compared to other buckets. The cushions and upholstery is also super simple and easy to work with.
Construction on them looks rather complicated and involved, so I can see why Marrad stopped making them, but they're still amazing seats.

I'd like to keep them, but I think I need the money and space back, so they're currently for sale.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/15/22 1:13 p.m.

We did a A to B To C test back in the day with CG-Lock.  Pro driver with CG-Lock first, then without, then with race seat.  With the CG-Lock, the driver was significantly faster in the stock seat than without, and only slightly faster in the race seat, hence the claim on the box of faster lap times or your money back. *No longer applicable since the company is no longer around.  

Being held in the car better really does help. When I'm at a HPDE driving a car without one, I feel like I'm falling out of the seat.  

engineered
engineered New Reader
9/15/22 3:21 p.m.

In reply to PMRacing :

In my E46 I would just move the seat back a bit, then push myself down into seat, yank the belt retractor to have it lock, then feed up the loose belt.  Then move the seat back into position and it was perfect.  Nice and tight, no moving around, no need to for a CG lock, which I did look into but decided it wouldn't be any more effective.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
9/15/22 4:42 p.m.

In reply to PMRacing :

This is promising - I have a Schroth Rallye 4 harness and have been wanting a bucket seat but if a pro-driver is negligibly faster in a bucket seat compared to just being bolted into the OEM seat, then I shouldn't waste my money on it. 

te72
te72 HalfDork
10/24/23 8:37 p.m.

I still wanna know who the dingus was that thought leather was a good surface for NB1 seats... they're nearly flat, and with no grip in the upholstery, in a very grippy sports car. I hope someone was flogged over that one. =P

Kidding aside, seat support / restraint makes all the difference. In the Exocet, I never even think twice about it, because it has buckets and harnesses. In the Supras, it does take your mind off of where it should be focused, because stock seats and three point belts.

Davidh0430
Davidh0430 New Reader
10/25/23 1:39 p.m.

Years ago I went from the stock seat in my first gen CRX to a race seat that King Motor Sports installed for me. May not have been faster but far better control and no cramping at the end of a race. Got one for my son's CRX for his Christmas gift that year...  Dave 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qNk70bFX5gYHoESpITsdxPJ2UyGuYfbpL2BRfugNusP65HuxFjIMkW38vJVnhzu7