Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/21/22 3:04 p.m.
feature_image

After fitting our fresh Bridgestones and putting a few miles on our new-to-us Porsche 997, we did what most new owners probably wouldn’t do: We immediately took it to a race track in order to set some baselines.

The FIRM, located near Keystone Heights, Florida, serves as our official test track, and most Fridays you can find one …

Read the rest of the story

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/22 7:47 p.m.

I've been saying it for years! The best track car is a stock Porsche.

JS154
JS154 New Reader
3/21/22 7:55 p.m.

Spot on review. 997s are so sublimely good they are easy to drive quick on track, forgiving of mistakes and no real shortcomings. 

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/22/22 11:28 p.m.

We went from a 997 S to a 991 S and the little quibble about front turn in is totally gone.  The wider front track and longer wheelbase of the 991 adds the last detail of perfection.  Epic!  People who haven't driven a Carrera in anger simply can't understand how truly exceptional these cars are.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/23/22 9:45 a.m.

I went to a Porsche get-together this past Monday. I had one of the few air-cooled cars. Those with the later cars seem quite happy. 

Automobilist
Automobilist New Reader
3/23/22 9:39 p.m.

My 997 was a superb sports car, my current 991: even better... 

One of the best tools for this sort of thing is not so much a fancy digital tire pressure gauge, but an infrared thermometer. 

Many racers rely on this far more than a pressure gauge. You shoot three readings; inner, middle & outer tread of tires immediately after leaving the track. You adjust pressure to achieve fairly even temps across the tire.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/24/22 11:01 a.m.

In reply to Automobilist :

Related to that, in the May issue–currently at the printer–you’ll find an article detailing how to properly set tire pressures using a skid pad and a probe-type pyrometer. 

And more here, too:

DaleCarter
DaleCarter GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/30/22 1:11 a.m.

In reply to Automobilist :

You are 100% correct about setting PSI with temps. An infrared is fine, but a probe type is better. Most importantly, be consistent, measure as soon as possible and write it down. Last week I learned that Circle track guys use temp to set cross-weight preload (aka diagonal) and they record brake rotor temps. Those guys use an IR so they can shoot three tread spots and then the rotor.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
weqTFW6vhjoPK9vxfp9uGWyynhnYA6jaKMFhAeIvlAfHRSshvitJ03bfqktQsDzZ