jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
8/17/22 11:13 a.m.

I've purchased an alpine ilx-107 headunit for my 2005 Prius (non-nav, not jbl) and am thinking about using a  factory backup camera for it from a newer model that had it (same gen) 

I just imagine that a factory camera would be better than some $15 Amazon cheapo. 

if so, does anyone know if I can make it work? It looks like the factory cameras have 4 wires coming off  the back and I'd imagine I need to get power to it and a. RCA plug out.   

Not having luck finding an adapter and no mention of anyone doing it that I've found.     

thoughts??

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
8/17/22 1:40 p.m.

You can sometimes do it but its pretty involved.  You actually have to google "Toyota OEM Backup camera to aftermarket head unit"

Then buy the adapters, install the hardware, chase the wiring around, and there ya go.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/17/22 4:09 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

Just to chime in,  I have not done it.

But,  I have a 2004 here with Nav (high option model) and it does not have a back up camera. 

My lesser optioned 2008 does have a factory back up camera.  

Another thought, the camera quality of the factory unit is nothing stellar.  Figure that its quality is 2009 at the newest and more likely 2004.  The first iphone didn't come out until 2007.  Sure, there were phone cameras before that but all were crap.  I'm sure even today's cheapest back up camera is lightyears ahead of the original.  

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
8/17/22 4:26 p.m.

My '22 Bronco came with cameras in front, back, even the mirrors - is there any way to connect that video source to a storage device (hard drive-ish)? Seems like it should be simple to use the cameras that are already there as dash cams. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
8/17/22 5:06 p.m.

I heard the cams became avail in 06.  I was going to get one from a newer car but that's a good point about them being 15 years old. 

i contacted a company that makes a lot of harnesses for aftermarket stereos, including camera adapters and they said they don't have a way to use the gen 2 Prius camera including their universal adapter that they have listed as an option for a lot of vehicles. 

but even that is $150 plus the cost of the camera so I'm close to $200 even if I could make it work. 

meanwhile Amazon has cameras that are apparently made for these cars for $30. 

i think that's going to be my best bet.   I just don't like the idea of that little 4-wire camera defeating me. 

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/17/22 8:47 p.m.

I've used cheapo amazon ones on a few cars now and they are as good or better than the factory cameras any of my newer cars have had.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eVISAnlvjv6WpeTgoOUcycBCzl8KnOoeF83WC8FAqTQBF0szfekaUI6IeekIdUet