Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/7/21 10:45 a.m.
feature_image

Is it possible to get the Outlaw look without spending an arm and a leg? Forum user ahhgaragetime seems to think so with the very best Porsche he could afford: an incomplete 1974 Porsche 911S.

Considering the car was already “missing a part or two,” ahhgaragetime decided to go for an Outlaw look.

Since the thread was started in …

Read the rest of the story

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
5/7/21 1:05 p.m.

What makes a 911 an outlaw? 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
5/7/21 1:25 p.m.
Vajingo said:

Unpaid parking tickets.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/7/21 1:32 p.m.

What about a 914 outlaw? 

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
5/7/21 2:35 p.m.

This is the only way I could ever afford an early 911, so it's occurred to me to do this.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/7/21 2:58 p.m.
Vajingo said:

As I understand it, mixing and matching parts and/or styling cues that never saw each other from the factory to create what you want. 

Think resto-mod in the hotrod world.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
5/7/21 6:07 p.m.

Misc ramblings......

look at  a 1967 911R which was the factory racer that still had narrow fenders ,  basic lightweight race car, 

in 1974 they started the flatter "crash bumpers"  in the 1980s-90s the many early narrow fender cars were "updated" to the crash bumper style with 911 RS or RSR wide fenders ,  big rear wing , slant nose fenders etc

In the 2000s to now these flat bumper cars were "back dated" to the early bumper style !

so there is a mis-match of project cars out on the market ,  

a 1964 Prototype 911 was found with all the late model RSR wide fenders / flat bumper / big wing style , done by someone when early cars were worth nothing and everyone wanted a Miami Vice 911 :)

Then add that lots of Targas were made into Cabrios.....

I would start with whatever the newest year you can have that does not need emissions inspection , 1975 and newer were hot dip galvanized at the factory so that helps , 

And check the VIN number to see what year the car really is , you may be surprised and find a prototype under all that fiberglass !

ADDED : Look at a Singer , taking a later 911  and backdating it with a little more flair ,  and they also must hire a "designer" to get the interior colors and designs that look vintage with modern materials .......

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/7/21 6:10 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

What about a 914 outlaw? 

What about an in-law?  My wife's mother is always on a budget 

f1carguy
f1carguy New Reader
5/8/21 10:52 a.m.

He should have dropped in a rotary 13B! More HP.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/9/21 8:43 a.m.

I have a 914 project that is getting ready for a rollcage. I also have a rotary to VW trans adapter and a rotary intake, so I guess I'm part way to a 914 "Outlaw" build eventually. I was really planning on doing a Subaru swap, but I guess I should consider rotary power at this point too. It's just time and money away from AWESOMENESS. A long way away.........

f1carguy
f1carguy New Reader
5/9/21 7:48 p.m.

You will be amazed how small the rotary is. I got my MGB with 13B cheep because the kid hooked up the oil cooler with 3/8" lines. That is a no, no. rotarys need lots of oil cooling because it does most of the cooling - not the water! And you can save a few lbs!

engine weights (gomog.com)

Mazda 13B race          242 

Porsche 914 1679cc      265     
Porsche 914 1980cc      311  

Drop on a turbo and you can double the HP without any internal mods!   

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/9/21 10:45 p.m.

Loose the apex seals for even greater weight reduction.  laugh

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C9vLhqJwL4kzCsxOpm1SdSyTD7L2KS37mqbmr84P8CnhuLRyp4JSTes6zDyqgau9