1 2
NickD
NickD Dork
6/24/16 10:33 a.m.

Pretty much as it sounds. A place up in Derry, NH dismantles Miatas and has Torsen diffs for sale. It'd be cheaper to go and pick it up but it's a 5 hour drive and the only vehicle I have that I trust to go that far happens to be my '90 Miata. So, my thought was, drive up, toss the diff in the trunk (Or I suppose I could remove the passenger seat and toss in on the floor on that side) and drive it home in one day. Doable? And should I grab the corresponding driveshaft (And will that fit) at the same time and then buy axles anywhere at a later date?

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
6/24/16 10:49 a.m.

I think it will. I currently have a diff but no Miata, but I've had 4 and think it would fit fine. The driveshaft would need to go in the pass seat.

NickD
NickD Dork
6/24/16 10:49 a.m.

Let me specify, the full rear carrier with the "wings", not just the pumpkin

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
6/24/16 10:54 a.m.

I'm going to say, probably. But I'm not positive. You haven't had any luck finding a diff locally? The guys in NH are nice and have everything, but they're a little overpriced IMO. If you do end up going up there, let me know, you'll probably be driving right past my place.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
6/24/16 10:55 a.m.

Also - I don't know what your timeline is like, but I'm driving up to my parent's house in Geneva the weekend of July 23. I could play delivery service if you want.

NickD
NickD Dork
6/24/16 10:57 a.m.
cmcgregor wrote: I'm going to say, probably. But I'm not positive. You haven't had any luck finding a diff locally? The guys in NH are nice and have everything, but they're a little overpriced IMO. If you do end up going up there, let me know, you'll probably be driving right past my place.

There is absolutely nothing in this area. The '00 that I grabbed the engine out of at the junkyard was already missing the driveshaft, rear axles and rear diff already. And as for a whole car to part out, even the junkiest ones command a premium. Seriously, there's a '00 with no rocker panels and they want $4000.

As for timeline, really don't have one. Just figured this winter when I swap in my BP-4W that I plan to build, I should probably swap to the rear diff because A) I'd like to step down to 4.10s and make the car a little less buzzy on the highways B) Torsen diff is better than VLSD and C) I don't want to blow my 1.6L rear diff up with a built BP-4W doing 3500RPM clutch drops.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/24/16 11:08 a.m.

If it doesn't then it will definitely fit in the passenger seat once you put the top down!

NickD
NickD Dork
6/24/16 11:25 a.m.
Harvey wrote: If it doesn't then it will definitely fit in the passenger seat once you put the top down!

That's what I was thinking. Unbolt the passenger seat, toss some plastic down on the carpet and put it there

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/24/16 11:37 a.m.
NickD wrote:
Harvey wrote: If it doesn't then it will definitely fit in the passenger seat once you put the top down!
That's what I was thinking. Unbolt the passenger seat, toss some plastic down on the carpet and put it there

That should definitely work since I was thinking of doing it with the seat still in there.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/24/16 11:53 a.m.

Yes!

photo 34BE930B-EA23-4359-B153-D83E2BB9A82A_zpsdr06wymy.jpg

Diff fits. Not sure on a driveshaft.

NickD
NickD Dork
6/24/16 12:20 p.m.
Lof8 wrote: Yes!  photo 34BE930B-EA23-4359-B153-D83E2BB9A82A_zpsdr06wymy.jpg Diff fits. Not sure on a driveshaft.

Oh man, you da real MVP, Lof8. Photographic proof!

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
6/24/16 1:45 p.m.

I had to put the headers and y-pipe for my MX-3 in the passenger seat, top down, in the MX-5.

NickD
NickD Dork
6/24/16 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Lesley:

I have transported my Miata's header and cat-back in my Miata. The best was the time I had to transport a friend with crutches and a broken ankle in it. That was an experience

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
6/24/16 8:44 p.m.

The trunk will fit a transmission, too. I should have taken a picture of that.

NickD
NickD Dork
6/25/16 7:56 a.m.

In reply to nderwater:

Wow, I'd have to see that to believe it

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
6/25/16 11:13 a.m.

Yep.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
6/25/16 6:09 p.m.

Be sure to put down some heavy plastic and rags to keep leaking diff oil from stinking up your trunk carpet. And wedge it solidly so it doesn't shift around on you. A big dent from the inside of the trunk when a loose chunk of metal tries to exit sideways is annoying.

NickD
NickD Dork
6/26/16 6:39 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Be sure to put down some heavy plastic and rags to keep leaking diff oil from stinking up your trunk carpet. And wedge it solidly so it doesn't shift around on you. A big dent from the inside of the trunk when a loose chunk of metal tries to exit sideways is annoying.

Yeah, planned on it. And wouldn't want it welding itself to the top of the battery either

NickD
NickD Dork
6/29/16 4:27 p.m.

Well, attempted to call and get a price on a complete swap (the woman on their facebook account suggested I call) and got a gentleman who had a very heavy accent that was very difficult to understand. And then 2 and a half minutes into my call, after he began muttering to himself and not answering my questions, he hung up on me. Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, okay then. I'll try again tomorrow and hopefully get someone else.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Reader
6/29/16 4:37 p.m.

Somebody should start a "stuff that fits in a Miata trunk" thread (with pics, or it didn't happen). It's probably already been done.

NickD
NickD Dork
6/30/16 3:53 p.m.

Well, called back again today and got the same gentleman but the conversation went much better. For a complete 4.10 Torsen swap, including driveshaft, carrier, housing, axles and hardware, they want $1000 which seems pretty reasonable. So, roadtrip planning begins.

NickD
NickD Dork
6/30/16 4:24 p.m.

Thinking that Saturday June 16th is going to be the day. Leave at 7am here, get there around noon and load up. Soooooo, GRM Northeastern meet-up, anyone?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/30/16 7:19 p.m.

SO, not sure if he currently has any in stock, they're on the price list though. Mikes Miata Parts in Middletown, PA has the swap listed for 750. I was going to call before I went to see LogDog about a seat, since he's kind of on my way, but I don't have the extra cash.

Looking on the map, it's like 4 to 5 hours, might be further than NH, but maybe the cost savings could make up for travel/gas

NickD
NickD Dork
7/1/16 5:22 a.m.

In reply to RevRico:

Actually, the 1.6L-to-4.10 Torsen swap assembly is shown as $650. And checking Google Maps, it's only 1 minute longer to Middletown than to Derry. So, now I just need to call and see if A) they have them in stock and B) they are open on weekends

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/1/16 8:51 a.m.

Nick - If you do go over to NH, I'd be happy to grab some BBQ in Sturbridge, MA with you. I believe I'm free that weekend.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XUpbvw45bDtWcXlZL4ozMSmoBstHC47Odkwz2E4uUMmO8mNpyldKcokS8fboU2zg