Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/15 9:43 p.m.

I didn't realize how much I miss my long sold off FB and FC RX-7's until I co-drove an RX-8 at an autocross this weekend. Ugh, I had forgotten how perfect that car was for me. What do I need to know about them again? Can somebody please scare me off before I do something stupid and sell the Javelin?

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/15 9:51 p.m.

Oil consumption.

Don't sell the Javelin, buy my 951 instead. Enjoy the torque.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/30/15 9:54 p.m.
tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/30/15 9:56 p.m.

one of us, one of us, one of us...

It's a disease. The only cure is ownership.

Sorry, I'm not helping.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/31/15 2:02 a.m.

I too have been having a relapse from being rotorless. I blame the Mustang.

I'm not sure I'm ready to step into an 8, but I'm definitely fiending for a 7

My FB was a little cocoon of heaven compared to what I'm driving daily these days

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
3/31/15 5:50 a.m.
Javelin wrote: I didn't realize how much I miss my long sold off FB and FC RX-7's until I co-drove an RX-8 at an autocross this weekend. Ugh, I had forgotten how perfect that car was for me. What do I need to know about them again? Can somebody please scare me off before I do something stupid and sell the Javelin?

Your 951 is for sale? Tell me more... Shoot me a PM

Leafy
Leafy HalfDork
3/31/15 8:07 a.m.

Since people bolt the RX8 subframe into NC miatas to build dumb rotary things, the NC subframe should bolt into the RX8 and let you run the 2.5 duratec that'll make 200whp and torque with cams, a tune and some bolt ons pretty easy. It'll let you get the great rx8 chassis without having to deal with the 15mpg rotary gas mileage and lack of torque.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
3/31/15 8:14 a.m.

I always wonder if those that complain about the lack of torque are just lazy bastards that can't downshift

I personally love mine and the best thing I can say is get the latest you can afford with an edge to the S2 versions (09-11) because the majority of all the major bugs are already worked out.

No there is nothing wrong with you.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
3/31/15 9:11 a.m.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you. I'm tempted every week to get one because my brother has one and it is a fantastic drivers car. I don't really need 4 seats so I'm torn between rotary power and an S2000.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/31/15 9:14 a.m.

rx8 w/blown renesis + kia sportage FE3 + cheap boost + challenge = 42.

Its becoming clearer and clearer to me each day.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/31/15 9:24 a.m.

Get RX8! DO NOT SELL JAVELIN!

You could always buy another RX8 down the road but finding YOUR Javelin is going to hurt.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/31/15 9:26 a.m.

I've been tempted for months now, just haven't been able to find the right price/condition/miles combination.

So there's probably something wrong with me, too.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/15 9:33 a.m.

Top Gear RX8 Review

The link starts 4:05 into the video, because that's all you need to see.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/15 9:35 a.m.

Clarkson on the RX8

OK and this.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
3/31/15 9:55 a.m.
Leafy wrote: Since people bolt the RX8 subframe into NC miatas to build dumb rotary things, the NC subframe should bolt into the RX8 and let you run the 2.5 duratec that'll make 200whp and torque with cams, a tune and some bolt ons pretty easy. It'll let you get the great rx8 chassis without having to deal with the 15mpg rotary gas mileage and lack of torque.

or just buy an rx8, do nothing and have about 190-200whp.

Leafy
Leafy HalfDork
3/31/15 10:01 a.m.
fidelity101 wrote:
Leafy wrote: Since people bolt the RX8 subframe into NC miatas to build dumb rotary things, the NC subframe should bolt into the RX8 and let you run the 2.5 duratec that'll make 200whp and torque with cams, a tune and some bolt ons pretty easy. It'll let you get the great rx8 chassis without having to deal with the 15mpg rotary gas mileage and lack of torque.

But 15mpg, flooding, and slow.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
3/31/15 10:30 a.m.

In reply to Leafy:

Still faster per stock then the miata, just saying....

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
3/31/15 10:39 a.m.

Like others have said you can pick up 04-05s all day with blown engine's for cheap as hell and through Mazda I think rebuilt a renesis is around $3k with something like a $1k core on the old engine and I want to say you get a warranty with it, or like others have said NC subframes switch between the two, Idk if it's easily but there are many shared parts.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
3/31/15 11:23 a.m.
Leafy wrote:
fidelity101 wrote:
But 15mpg, flooding, and slow.

The money you would spend on the swap would buy you a lot of gas a proper maintenance items like spark plugs and coils.

Also 200whp compared to 200whp would be just as slow in the same car with the same mass.

Your point is moot.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
3/31/15 1:46 p.m.

My RX-7 is still for sale.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/15 4:20 p.m.
NordicSaab wrote:
Javelin wrote: I didn't realize how much I miss my long sold off FB and FC RX-7's until I co-drove an RX-8 at an autocross this weekend. Ugh, I had forgotten how perfect that car was for me. What do I need to know about them again? Can somebody please scare me off before I do something stupid and sell the Javelin?
Your 951 is for sale? Tell me more... Shoot me a PM

Mine is and PM sent.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/31/15 7:27 p.m.

So much marriage danger in this thread:

• Nudging from the dark side to get another rotary

• Mazdax has one for sale

• Mention of Javelin selling Javelin (or storing it at my house to make room for said rotary wink wink)

• two 951's for sale.

You guys are teh devil and I'm not allowed to play with you anymore

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/15 9:53 p.m.

I spent all day wishing for somebody to rear end the Saturn so I can replace it with an RX-8.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ohJrMaNkgJfrdlaSr7eMhaJ2QVTII8s9mbWCvjcR8n8upkBEDkSFLj0efVzI7Q1u