Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
9/18/19 8:46 a.m.
feature_image

This 2020 Toyota Supra Launch Edition will be on offer--with reserve--this weekend at Mecum's Louisville auction. Will it suffer the same fate as this Bring a Trailer auction, or will this one sell for over MSRP? 

Read the rest of the story

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
9/23/19 12:28 p.m.

It only hit $67,500. Things are not looking good for those hoping to cash in on the Supra. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/23/19 12:38 p.m.

Auctioning a brand new car, that's funny. That reminds me, my email address somehow got into a list where used supercars are advertised for sale, and I saw someone selling a build slot for a Bugatti Divo - as in the car hasn't been built yet, complete with factory pick-up experience. I'd like to see the looks on the Bugatti people's faces when a different person shows up to collect the car from the person who ordered it.

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
9/23/19 1:20 p.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:

It only hit $67,500. Things are not looking good for those hoping to cash in on the Supra. 

Good.  New car speculation should not be a thing.  I hope every dealer that tries to gouge people suffers the same fate.  You are killing the sports car, you shiny happy people.

Sincerely,

The 05/06 ford GT, Lexus LFA, the type R, the new NSX, the GT350, the C8, the alfa 4C, the golf R, the M-family, the Porsche GTx family, etc.

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
9/23/19 1:31 p.m.

$67.5 is still 10k over sticker.  You'd have to be nuts to pay that.  I told my dealer to keep it when he tried to charge 3k over sticker for an RS.  I bought it at sticker from the same dealer just a few months later.

Ransom
Ransom UltimaDork
9/23/19 1:43 p.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:

It only hit $67,500. Things are not looking good for those hoping to cash in on the Supra. 

What sort of Ouroboros of hype is it when this starts to be a gauge of how successful something is; whether or not it attracts scalpers?

Powar
Powar UltraDork
9/23/19 3:22 p.m.

I was there and watched it not sell. It was among three or four other brand new cars that didn't meet reserve that day. I... don't understand the appeal of this car, nor of buying a brand new car at auction.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
9/23/19 4:42 p.m.
Ransom said:
Jordan Rimpela said:

It only hit $67,500. Things are not looking good for those hoping to cash in on the Supra. 

What sort of Ouroboros of hype is it when this starts to be a gauge of how successful something is; whether or not it attracts scalpers?

It's not meant to be a barometer on the success of the new Supra; it does serve as a stark reminder that putting all of one's eggs into a single basket could lead to a disastrous result. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/23/19 4:49 p.m.

Think they realized that they better sell it now as depreciation is hitting hard and fast on these BMWs.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/23/19 4:51 p.m.

It looks like if a BRZ, a z4 and the ghost of paul walker had a baby.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
9/23/19 7:30 p.m.
Flynlow said:
Jordan Rimpela said:

It only hit $67,500. Things are not looking good for those hoping to cash in on the Supra. 

Good.  New car speculation should not be a thing.  I hope every dealer that tries to gouge people suffers the same fate.  You are killing the sports car, you shiny happy people.

Sincerely,

The 05/06 ford GT, Lexus LFA, the type R, the new NSX, the GT350, the C8, the alfa 4C, the golf R, the M-family, the Porsche GTx family, etc.

The Ford GT actually sat on the dealers lots and sold for well under MSRP when new. The LFA's did most places too. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
9/23/19 7:41 p.m.

People can do what they want with their money but I gotta wonder... aren’t there better ways to invest $60k than reselling a brand new car?

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
9/23/19 7:44 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

It looks like if a BRZ, a z4 and the ghost of paul walker had a baby.

I see a baby Viper that watched a lot of anime.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
9/23/19 9:33 p.m.

Saw one on track this weekend. Was getting it’s ass handed to it. Looked pretty good. Still hate them. 

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
9/24/19 6:47 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:
Flynlow said:
Jordan Rimpela said:

It only hit $67,500. Things are not looking good for those hoping to cash in on the Supra. 

Good.  New car speculation should not be a thing.  I hope every dealer that tries to gouge people suffers the same fate.  You are killing the sports car, you shiny happy people.

Sincerely,

The 05/06 ford GT, Lexus LFA, the type R, the new NSX, the GT350, the C8, the alfa 4C, the golf R, the M-family, the Porsche GTx family, etc.

The Ford GT actually sat on the dealers lots and sold for well under MSRP when new. The LFA's did most places too. 

Because most dealers were trying to charge a market value adjustment for the first 6 months-10 years, and people eventually pushed back, or demand never developed at the higher prices, thr vehicle was cancelled, THEN the dealer realized "oh E36 M3, i might be stuck with my bad decision". 

There are still a couple never sold LFAs in the country and it is definitely not due to lack of interest.  All you have to do is be willing to pay double MSRP with a smile on your face and it can be yours! 

https://www.motor1.com/news/299827/lexus-sold-two-lfas-2018/

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
9/24/19 3:32 p.m.

The Type R "market adjustment" that is still happening 3 years later is still baffling. I've yet to come across a dealer that will sell one at MSRP and I still don't have one in my driveway because of this. I'm probably better off anyways. 

I also don't understand the speculation on brand new cars , IMO it only kills the sales numbers on new cars because of people like me and thus leads to the manufactuer going "well we only sold XXX of these cars this year, should we still continue to build and develop?" then it's eventually killed off or reborn as a Crossover. 

TJL
TJL Reader
9/24/19 4:26 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

I was working at a ford dealership(formerly seminole ford, now autonation) when the gt and cobra R came out. The GT’s were gone quick, even with a 15k “market adjustment” over sticker. I think they were sold before arriving. We never got any cobra r’s that i knew of but I wanted to  check one out. The GT i didnt want to touch, didnt want my name on it in case some damage was found.  I think they were mostly sold to the same person, he was an exporter so he shipped em off and im sure made plenty of $. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/24/19 4:53 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

The Type R "market adjustment" that is still happening 3 years later is still baffling. I've yet to come across a dealer that will sell one at MSRP and I still don't have one in my driveway because of this. I'm probably better off anyways. 

I also don't understand the speculation on brand new cars , IMO it only kills the sales numbers on new cars because of people like me and thus leads to the manufactuer going "well we only sold XXX of these cars this year, should we still continue to build and develop?" then it's eventually killed off or reborn as a Crossover. 

Yep. I really wish the manufacturers would prevent dealerships from doing this. Ford did with the new GT, Porsche and Ferrari do with some cars as well, right? 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
9/24/19 5:16 p.m.
z31maniac said:
DirtyBird222 said:

The Type R "market adjustment" that is still happening 3 years later is still baffling. I've yet to come across a dealer that will sell one at MSRP and I still don't have one in my driveway because of this. I'm probably better off anyways. 

I also don't understand the speculation on brand new cars , IMO it only kills the sales numbers on new cars because of people like me and thus leads to the manufactuer going "well we only sold XXX of these cars this year, should we still continue to build and develop?" then it's eventually killed off or reborn as a Crossover. 

Yep. I really wish the manufacturers would prevent dealerships from doing this. Ford did with the new GT, Porsche and Ferrari do with some cars as well, right? 

I'm surprised Honda doesn't. With how anal retentive they are about what cars go to what dealerships and not letting dealers order their own inventory (outside of customer orders) that they would allow "market adjustments" to happen. When I was working at a Honda dealer, we had 3 S2000 CRs that sat on the lot for over a year with $10k market adjustments. The dealer never budged on the price and I explicitly remember the General Manager asking in an all-call one day "Now does anyone know why these aren't selling? Does anyone have friends that want one?" The common sense responses went right over her head. 

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove Reader
9/24/19 8:25 p.m.

This E36M3 is so stupid.  I checked CarGurus for Supras today; every one of them within 200 miles was listed at $10k over MSRP, or “inquire at dealer”.  I’m amazed that Toyota doesn’t have conditions in their contracts with dealers that prohibit these shenanigans.  

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
9/24/19 8:59 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

The Type R "market adjustment" that is still happening 3 years later is still baffling. I've yet to come across a dealer that will sell one at MSRP and I still don't have one in my driveway because of this. I'm probably better off anyways. 

I also don't understand the speculation on brand new cars , IMO it only kills the sales numbers on new cars because of people like me and thus leads to the manufactuer going "well we only sold XXX of these cars this year, should we still continue to build and develop?" then it's eventually killed off or reborn as a Crossover. 

https://www.hondaofowingsmills.com/new/Honda/2019-Honda-Civic+Type+R-fc1d2f840a0e0a6b3a479cfe4286c795.htm

 

I looked at this one last week, could drive it home for MSRP, no markup.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/24/19 9:41 p.m.

I saw a Zupra in the wild last week in MI. Thought it was a hardtop Z4 until after it was past, then realized what it was. Didn’t get a good look as it was going opposite direction on a 45 mph road. 

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
9/24/19 10:23 p.m.

The Zupra needs a hybrid Toyota/BMW logo on the front of the car..

Our Preferred Partners
FsOO8cO4FWpaTBAkaPW0RLZu5VYYq5SlJOgHxktz1gQXgQWDjpbPX1KhDvueZsI0