1 2 3
Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
8/10/20 1:24 p.m.

Since you seem more interested in 2-doors, definitely check out the M2. The greenhouse should be quite a bit better than either the Camaro or Mustang.  A dark horse candidate might be the wide-body Challenger, which has the most open rear seat of the pony cars and are available with manual. It's not the nimble creature you might be looking for, but has a brutish charm you might also find enjoyable. After that I think you're pretty much into 4-doors,  be it for better or worse.

cyow5
cyow5 New Reader
8/10/20 1:37 p.m.
P3PPY said:

cyow5, let's see a picture of that stance

It isn't the best picture, but it's the best one I've got. I set the height so it isn't too inconveient can make it over most speed bumps without dragging too badly. That was her Sky Redline behind it that she is still bitter about having to give up. It was straight-piped, tuned, and was pretty quick in a straight line. 

STM317
STM317 UberDork
8/10/20 1:44 p.m.

Used panamera? Did they ever get a manual option in North America?

Macan/manual?

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
8/10/20 2:08 p.m.
P3PPY said:
MrFancypants said:
Matt330LS said:
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

You WILL own a minivan one day. 

I've got five kids and never owned a mini-van.  Don't throw that down on the poor guy...

Man you're missing out, minivans are awesome.

Drives like a car, hauls like a van, spacious and not at all a cockpit feel (which I happen to hate), MPG isn't the worst ever. What's not to like?

The only thing I don't like are the lack of available upgrades.  Like c'mon guys, I want some lowering springs, swaybars, performance struts....  I want to treat my Honda Odyssey like a hot hatch.

BikingEngineer
BikingEngineer New Reader
8/12/20 11:17 a.m.
MrFancypants said:
P3PPY said:
MrFancypants said:
Matt330LS said:
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

You WILL own a minivan one day. 

I've got five kids and never owned a mini-van.  Don't throw that down on the poor guy...

Man you're missing out, minivans are awesome.

Drives like a car, hauls like a van, spacious and not at all a cockpit feel (which I happen to hate), MPG isn't the worst ever. What's not to like?

The only thing I don't like are the lack of available upgrades.  Like c'mon guys, I want some lowering springs, swaybars, performance struts....  I want to treat my Honda Odyssey like a hot hatch.

Ahem... 

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/news/a30368/bisimoto-honda-odyssey-1000-hp-auction/

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/12/20 11:36 a.m.

I don't know what Odyssey you guys have been driving but they sure as berkeley don't drive like any car I have ever owned.  They drive like a 4500lb van.

cyow5
cyow5 New Reader
8/12/20 12:23 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

I don't know what Odyssey you guys have been driving but they sure as berkeley don't drive like any car I have ever owned.  They drive like a 4500lb van.

So many people also assume that static and dynamic handling are the same. Just because a car/van can hit 1g on a skid pad doesn't mean it handles well dynamically. Throw some sticky tires on anything and it'll stick on a skidpad, but you can't tell me a van on sticky tires handles the same as a car with the same tires, despite the same skidpad score. 

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
8/12/20 12:31 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

They drive like a 4500lb car with a high CG. Which is very different from driving like a van. In the same way that modern F150s drive like a long heavy car, not a truck (except the brakes, which are like a truck from the 80s). Drive an accord, an odyssey, and a full size van back to back and the odyssey will be muuuuch closer to the accord than the real van. Not that I'm a minivan enthusiast or apologist or anything like that...just explaining the expression.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
8/12/20 1:14 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Mine drives like a large car. All the large vans I've driven drove like trucks, because under the skin that's basically what they were. No it's not a Miata, but for the size and weight it handles extremely well for a vehicle whose focus is not on handling.

It's not "thrilling" to drive, but pleasant to drive, and it doesn't fall apart if you need to make a quick maneuver. Be smooth and and manage load transfer like it's got a lot of suspension travel and it'll do more than you think it can.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/12/20 1:31 p.m.
dps214 said:
ProDarwin said:

They drive like a 4500lb car with a high CG. Which is very different from driving like a van. 

Different than a full size van, yes.  I agree with this statement though, a 4500lb car with a high CG.  But since I tend to drive <3000lb cars with a low CG I would say those drive like cars, and the Odyssey drives like a van.

MrFancypants said:

It's not "thrilling" to drive, but pleasant to drive, and it doesn't fall apart if you need to make a quick maneuver. Be smooth and and manage load transfer like it's got a lot of suspension travel and it'll do more than you think it can.

I would describe it as 'acceptable' to drive, esp. given its capabilities.

Does it have any merit in a discussion of driver focused cars?  berkeley no.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
8/12/20 1:41 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
dps214 said:
ProDarwin said:

They drive like a 4500lb car with a high CG. Which is very different from driving like a van. 

Different than a full size van, yes.  I agree with this statement though, a 4500lb car with a high CG.  But since I tend to drive <3000lb cars with a low CG I would say those drive like cars, and the Odyssey drives like a van.

MrFancypants said:

I would describe it as 'acceptable' to drive, esp. given its capabilities.

Does it have any merit in a discussion of driver focused cars?  berkeley no.

I don't think anybody truly, seriously expected that recommendation to be taken seriously by the OP. It's just light forum banter. Relax and participate, or don't, but please drop the condescending tone.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/12/20 1:56 p.m.

Apologies, you are correct.  Consider the tone dropped.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
8/12/20 2:00 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Apologies, you are correct.  Consider the tone dropped.

Wow I'm....  stunned. Thanks for being a high quality person, always appreciated.

Matt330LS
Matt330LS New Reader
8/14/20 7:14 a.m.
STM317 said:

Used panamera? Did they ever get a manual option in North America?

Macan/manual?

I thought about this too but I don't believe they ever had the manual in NA.

Kanek
Kanek New Reader
8/14/20 10:28 a.m.

Well even if we're off topic at least we're civil!

Anyways to update everyone I think the actual appeal for the kids is to get a ride in the front seat as all back seats are kind of a flop. So if I swapped out the z06 for a 4 seater I would get to drive it more but likely would like it less as well as the kids liking it less so i think it's on to finding a way to rearrange our day-to-day stuff if I want to take the car more. 

Not the compromise I was looking for (who here doesn't love shopping for a new toy) but hopefully will be the best in the long run

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gmFr4HjgE9KPaJQ7Qv9AA1CkBnn5LzIUsZ4m2z2QPbzmq8FNliGrcmZdOW9mtlVt